AMD SUPER BUILD. HELP PLEASE!

kevinwants2know

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hii there. Finally after weeks of research and looking for what components suited me best, trough " pcpartpicker.com " i was able to assemble all the parts i needed/wanted to achieve my goal. I am going to setup crossfire/eyefinity. All i ask is for a couple experts to review my choices, and comment on if its a good assembly. And what i could do to somehow save a couple bucks, or significantly improve performance etc. Thank you !!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yjrB

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hii there. Finally after weeks of research and looking for what components suited me best, trough " pcpartpicker.com " i was able to assemble all the parts i needed/wanted to achieve my goal. I am going to setup crossfire/eyefinity. All i ask is for a couple experts to review my choices, and comment on if its a good assembly. And what i could do to somehow save a couple bucks, or significantly improve performance etc. Thank you !!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yjrB

THE cpoU IS A LITTLE OVER KILL, MASYBE GET A LARGER POWER SUPPLY, THOSE 2 CARDS ARE NOT GONNA PUSH 3 MONITORS IN EYE AFINITY WELL ENOUGH AT HIGHEST RESOLUTIONS IN GAME, DONT NEED AN OFF THE SHELF CPU COLLER, MAKE YOUR OWN WATER COLLING IF YOU CAN

While two 7950's in crossfire may not allow for maximum settings on all games and maintain 60+ FPS, you can certainly play at high+ settings and get very playable FPS.

I also would not change that CPU. It is not overpriced, and will save yourself from having to upgrade soon. The advantage I gained from the i7 920 is that it still is nearly as fast as current CPU's, and it's 3 years old.

And air cooling is perfectly fine, and generally less hassle than water cooling.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
^^^ HUH? With respect - you need to apply in the paper towel industry.

Anyways, your cpu is perfect. Best gaming cpu - anything more is a waste for gaming. Your 7950s will do excellent in eyefinity. I will admit, grab a 850watt powersupply though.

The top part of this goes to the individual 2nd above me.

Aug 13, 2012
Why so extreme? Why Eyefinity? If it's only gaming drop 16gb and get 8gb ram. Get the new Samsung 840 PRO instead of the older 830. Why do you need 2 optical drives? The XFX monitor stand isn't necessary but whatever, it's extreme. Get a 7970 with 3gb of ram and crossfire those. If I were you I would get a bigger case like the 800D or Phantom 820. If you are going for the extreme of extreme, get custom water cooling. If not get the H100i not the non "i" version.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Why so extreme? Why Eyefinity? If it's only gaming drop 16gb and get 8gb ram. Get the new Samsung 840 PRO instead of the older 830. Why do you need 2 optical drives? The XFX monitor stand isn't necessary but whatever, it's extreme. Get a 7970 with 3gb of ram and crossfire those. If I were you I would get a bigger case like the 800D or Phantom 820. If you are going for the extreme of extreme, get custom water cooling. If not get the H100i not the non "i" version.

Whooaaa sport, calm down. His choices are not that bad at all. He would be very happy with what he choose minus the small ps.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Don't get Lycosa, it's terrible.
I have mirror edition and apart from key getting increasingly harder to press, it goes from, apeshit from time to time with keypress being stuck (mostly with media keys), to half of the keys flat out refusing to work having to replug the keyboard and risking the kernel security BSOD.
Some people also complained about keycaps getting melted (check on youtube).
Another thing is ghosting, which they advertise as it's not present on this model. Well, why can't I press certain key combos that involve C and arrow keys for example... There's also no driver/firmware updates of any kind.

Now that I'm done ranting, I'd suggest you to get a Steelseries 6Gv2. Either standard (Cherry MX Black) version or Cherry MX Red version which has a slightly lower actuation force, i.e. it's easier to press.

This is all wrong :lol:

Start with a BenQ EP5920 1920 x 1080 DLP Projector for $700 with a $50 card. With a 12'-3" throw, your screen is 6.33-foot x 4-foot. An HD7970 will be fine :D Especially at 1600x1050

With the AMD FX-8320 Vishera // ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX combo for $312, I've saved yah $500. You can a lot with $500. That's a receiver and speakers :D

Or, a good way toward 4800x1050 HD projector Eyefinity. Your setup will take a room 16'x14' or so, and will cost around $43,000 if you have to add on to your house.

$45,000 should handle it.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You should be fine with the 7950 (and arn't they good oc anyways, although I know that really depends on the part).

The h100 is fine, and at the price a good deal. Though you may want to go with the h-100i but it'd probably be around 30$ more unless they also got the -20.

I would also keep the cpu.

Ram is a preference but it's so cheap these days why not go for more (like you did).