Sign in with
Your question

Simple Hdmi and Dvi question?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2012 3:54:57 PM

I have an xbox, ps3 and pc I will build soon and want to connect consoles via hdmi to my monitor and the pc via dvi-d and a line in audio to the monitor. Will I be able to have the pc running in the background while playing on one pf my consoles and still hear the audio or will I just hear the audio from the Pc from the audio jack line in.Want to connect to this monitor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005OPLG0O/ref=ox_sc_ac.... Thx!!
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2012 5:39:21 PM

It depends. What is your default audio output/playback device? HDMI audio or your on-board (or a stand alone) audio adapter (a.k.a. sound card)?

Also, the sound output on a display is usually determined by the input port that is active. So, if the PS3 (for example) is on HDMI 2, then only that sound will be heard.

To avoid all of this, why not just connect a set of speakers to your PC (separate from the display)?
December 4, 2012 5:46:07 PM

I will output through my 7850 graphics card. Tbh i might just connect my sterio system up to my pc and use monitor/other speakers for my consoles as that would be much easier thx!
Related resources
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2012 5:50:30 PM

If you output via DVI to the display and your HD7850 (HDMI audio) is your primary sound device on the PC, you'll get no sound at all on anything. Sound is not passed via DVI.

December 4, 2012 6:01:52 PM

COLGeek said:
If you output via DVI to the display and your HD7850 (HDMI audio) is your primary sound device on the PC, you'll get no sound at all on anything. Sound is not passed via DVI.
I meant having a dvi and a jack to jack audio from pc to monitor i was wondering if the jack from my pc would cancel out sound from my consoles as it has no link to any of the inputs
a c 228 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2012 7:08:39 PM

You will only get sound when the DVI port is the active port in that case.
!