Solved

Looking for help with uprading my Processor

Hello,
So I have an GT 5654 that I've upgraded. Thus far I've added a corsair 650 wat PSU and installed an GTS450 video card. The mother board is original and so is the processor. I want to know what would be the max upgrade on a processor for this mother board
HT 2000
MCP61PM-AM-REV.1.OA
And one last thing, in my bios where would I go to OC my current AMD Athlon 64bit 5000+ 2.6?
Price range up to 300 and i will be upgrading the cooling system w/processor(this year) as well as the mobo(next year)
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking uprading processor
  1. Gateway GT 5654

Ok so I've had this PC for 5 years now and it's my Frankenstein. I've upgrade the power supply to a Corsair 650 watts. The video card went from an integrated Nvidia something to an Nvidia GTS 450. Now I want to play with it's "brain" I am currently using the original AMD Athlon X2 64 bit 5000+ 2.6Ghz and original mobo which is an
    MCP61PM-AM-REV.!.OA
    Any and all help would be very much appreciated as well for an cooling system
    Price range up to $400ish for both processor and cooling sytem
  2. If your main use is for gaming you should save up some more money so you can upgrade that 450. If gaming is a secondary use, you could go with this now.

Overclocking
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Total: $329.53
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 01:00 EST-0500)

Not overclocking (stock cooler is fine)
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $279.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 01:01 EST-0500)
  3. Best answer
    That's a Socket AM2+ cpu, which is starting to become obsolete, so if you don't want a new motherboard, I think this might be the best you can do:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2au2
    If you're willing to get a new motherboard as well, I suggest this:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9aw4

It would help if you specify what you're using the computer for.

@chall1311, the OP won't be able to use those motherboards. I'm fairly sure the case for that Gateway model is only big enough for a MicroATX motherboard.
  4. Good point MauveCloud, I edited my post with corrections.
  5. Asrock am3+ Mobo , Amd fx 8350 processor , transcend.com 1800mhz ram with life time warranty.
  6. That board is AM2, not even AM2+ (which isn't even that much of a step up anyways) either way your looking at all new components for that price range, your DDR2 ram is not compatible with newer equipment either. Also your board is using a nForce 430 chipset with is PCI-E 1.0 compliant which is not graphics friendly.

Intel or AMD doesn't matter to me, just going to post a nice combo I use frequently up here and hopefully it's something your interested in.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (DETAILS) $85 w/ Promo Code
    Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS (DETAILS) $60
    RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1333 (DETAILS) $43
    Cooler: COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus (DETAILS) $30
    GPU: EVGA 650Ti (DETAILS) $150

FREE SHIPPING, TOTAL PRICE $368

I added a graphics card in here just by a recommendation, this card is approx 4x faster then a GTS450 with a nice price tag (192 Cuda Cores > 768 Cuda Cores)
    Processor is ridiclously faster then a 5000+, going from 2000 > 4000MHz HT Speed, 2 Cores > 4 Cores, 1MB (L2) > 8MB (L2+L3) Cache, and 2.6GHz > 3.4GHz
    Hope this helps :D
  7. I think that we need to suggest a new PSU off the bat because 300W from that gateway isn't going to cut it for a new GPU and AM3 CPU with aftermarket cooling. That's taking a big risk if you ask me.
  8. He did state he upgraded to a 650 Watt Corsair PSU, which is nice for us because we can pick a wide variety of options for that system ;)
  9. cball1311 said:
    I think that we need to suggest a new PSU off the bat because 300W from that gateway isn't going to cut it for a new GPU and AM3 CPU with aftermarket cooling. That's taking a big risk if you ask me.

If you look at the initial post, you'd see that OP already upgraded psu to Corsair 650W.
  10. WOW, I must be really tired or something. Just, nevermind me in this post. :pt1cable: Sorry about that everyone.
  11. Google is your friend:
    - http://www.google.com.au/search?q=MCP61PM

Just make sure it's the same model, revision, etc.
  12. This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
    C wth tough upgrades I need help.
  13. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  14. The first post I like with options under my price range. Actually all the responses here are excellent. But here is what I've found on the side, A bit more pricier but somewhat keeping "Frankensein" in an original state. I will be getting a gaming PC as well. Think of it as a "legendary" build so to speak for someone who visits with similar interest to be like "Whaaa?". Hobby purpose.I actually can use this rig as it is and play Skyrim on High settings and it is somewhat jerky on Ultra.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+ 2.8 GHz Processor, Socket AM2
    Price: $198.95 Amazon.com

Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Paste 3.5g
    Price: $8.24 Amazon.com

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E "Extreme" Dual Fan Universal CPU
    Cooler (Sockets 775 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 /
    AM2+ / AM3 / AM3+ / FM1)
    Price: $89.99 FrozenCPU.com

Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition
    High Static Pressure 120mm Fan (CO-9050007-WW)
    Price: $16.95 FrozenCPU.com
    (Exhaust Fan)

And maybe some opinions on the PC I'm looking at.

iBUYPOWER POWER TG918SLC Gaming PC -
    3rd Gen. Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD,
    DVDRW, 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, Windows 8 64-bit, Liquid Cooling,
    Keyboard & Mouse
    Price: $799.99 TigerDirect.com
    I'll get an different keyboard and mouse.

OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply -
    600-Watt, Modular, Dual +12V Rails, SATA, 80Plus
    Price: $64.99

Thanks for the help as well.
  15. Best answer selected by Pitjunkie79.
  16. All answers were extraordinary insights. I decided to trash this PC and rebuild with a barebones kit from Tigerdirect.com the previous post was a "spur of the moment I finally got some funds to work with." type thing. Thank you everyone.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Processors Motherboards Systems Product