Stupid Question re Canon Digital Rebel XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 6, 2005 12:58:17 PM

Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
Digital Rebel XT that just came out? I was trying
to find the answer. I would like to run autoexposure
sometimes with the lenses. Is it physically
possible? Would a pentax mount interface with the
Canon for a fully manual picture?

thanks
Bill

--
---
William O'Hara

In article <Xns96AA6571C73ADKB1IUB223223n1eyLOCK@216.196.97.142>,
whoohara@yahoo.com says...
> Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
> Digital Rebel XT that just came out? I was trying
> to find the answer. I would like to run autoexposure
> sometimes with the lenses. Is it physically
> possible? Would a pentax mount interface with the
> Canon for a fully manual picture?
>
> thanks
> Bill

You might be able to find an adapter so you could operate the camera
manually, but there is a chance you'll lose infinity focus or alter the
lens focal length, depending on the type of adapter.

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
> Digital Rebel XT that just came out?

Save your money and get a BETTER camera, the Pentax *ist-DS. It can use
any Pentax K or screw mount lens, has a real prism finder bigger and
brighter than the Rebel XT, is not as fragile, simply "feels" better
overall, and is cheaper than the Canon.

You can even skip buying the kit lens and use your old manual lenses. I
had a Rebel XT which fried itself after one day... replaced it with a
Pentax and could not be happier :^)

The only stupid thing is buying a Canon when a Pentax is what you need.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:58:17 -0500, "William O'Hara"
<whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
>Digital Rebel XT that just came out? I was trying
>to find the answer. I would like to run autoexposure
>sometimes with the lenses. Is it physically
>possible? Would a pentax mount interface with the
>Canon for a fully manual picture?
>
>thanks
>Bill

Really old ones? the 42mm screw thread mount. I got an adaptor to do
that.

from :

http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/default.html?lan...

It's a rusian company, had no problems with them, and the workmanship
on the adapter is fine looking. works too!
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:37:06 AM

Charles <ckraft@SAMTRAP.west.net> wrote in
news:o bebf1h8eee934cd4oc1relsjqu1lc5t7o@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:58:17 -0500, "William O'Hara"
> <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
>>Digital Rebel XT that just came out? I was trying
>>to find the answer. I would like to run autoexposure
>>sometimes with the lenses. Is it physically
>>possible? Would a pentax mount interface with the
>>Canon for a fully manual picture?
> Really old ones? the 42mm screw thread mount. I got an adaptor to do
> http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/default.html?lan...
> 152.html
>
> It's a rusian company, had no problems with them, and the workmanship
> on the adapter is fine looking. works too!

I have on hand some old ones. I also have newer 95+ vintage
pentax lenses. I also have an old Minolta system, which never
gets used at this point.

What does everyone think of the Pentax digital camera?

--
---
William O'Hara

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 05:03:18 -0500, "William O'Hara"
<whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Charles <ckraft@SAMTRAP.west.net> wrote in
>news:o bebf1h8eee934cd4oc1relsjqu1lc5t7o@4ax.com:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:58:17 -0500, "William O'Hara"
>> <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
>>>Digital Rebel XT that just came out? I was trying
>>>to find the answer. I would like to run autoexposure
>>>sometimes with the lenses. Is it physically
>>>possible? Would a pentax mount interface with the
>>>Canon for a fully manual picture?
>> Really old ones? the 42mm screw thread mount. I got an adaptor to do
>> http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/default.html?lan...
>> 152.html
>>
>> It's a rusian company, had no problems with them, and the workmanship
>> on the adapter is fine looking. works too!
>

>I have on hand some old ones. I also have newer 95+ vintage
>pentax lenses. I also have an old Minolta system, which never
>gets used at this point.
>
>What does everyone think of the Pentax digital camera?

I thought it felt too smal lin my hands, other people like it for that
reason.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:17:16 PM

>>What does everyone think of the Pentax digital camera?
>

> I thought it felt too smal lin my hands, other people like it for that
> reason.

I read a review that the JPG output is no good. The
review actually recommended the camera but to shoot
only in RAW mode.

I'm lost, now.

--
---
William O'Hara

"William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I read a review that the JPG output is no good. The
> review actually recommended the camera but to shoot
> only in RAW mode.

Rather than believe ONE jaundiced reviewer, who may have OCD about RAW,
better trust all the very happy Pentax DSLR folks you'll find in the Yahoo
ist-D* forum or at http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1901 devoted
to Pentax enthusiasts, both film and digital.

I've shot several thousand JPEG pictures with my *ist-DS and see no need at
all to shoot RAW, after testing RAW for myself and being completely
satisfied with the JPEG quality. I've even taken a quarter of a full frame
and enlarged them to a full 3008 x 2000 image size with virtually effect on
quality or artifacts.

Since I have 1.5Mb of SD card storage, I could afford to shoot RAW if I
felt it worth the trouble, and I'm a very picky guy who still has film
negatives 50 years old. In short, Pentax JPEG quality is totally a non-
issue, or at best merely another "urban legend."

I am very sensitized to JPEG quality since after shooting film for 50 years
with Leicas, Rolleis, and Nikons I spent the last few years learning the
digital ropes with a series of 1, 2, and 3 Mp point-n-shoots. One of the
lessons learned is that the amount of compression is less important than
shooting in the largest pixel size a camera offers; the Pentax uses the
same sensor as the Nikon D70 and ALL its images are a full 3008 x 2000.
Besides RAW it offers three JPEG compression ratios, and even the highest
compression is fine for most uses.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:20:23 AM

In article <Xns96ABCE9681B2Fgillen@216.194.192.13>, see-my-sig@below.com
says...
> Rather than believe ONE jaundiced reviewer, who may have OCD about RAW,
> better trust all the very happy Pentax DSLR folks you'll find in the Yahoo
> ist-D* forum or at http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1901 devoted
> to Pentax enthusiasts, both film and digital.

I'll concur. I've seen JPEGs from the Pentax and talked to owners -
they seem to be very happy with the output.

You might be able to squeeze more out of the RAW file, but it's like
that with any digital SLR. If you've got the lenses and you want to
stick with Pentax, I don't think you'll be disappointed going with the
*ist D series.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"Charles Gillen" <see-my-sig@below.com> wrote in message
> "William O'Hara" <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Can I run my old pentax manual lenses with the Canon
>> Digital Rebel XT that just came out?
>
> Save your money and get a BETTER camera, the Pentax *ist-DS. It can use
> any Pentax K or screw mount lens, has a real prism finder bigger and
> brighter than the Rebel XT, is not as fragile, simply "feels" better
> overall, and is cheaper than the Canon.
>
> You can even skip buying the kit lens and use your old manual lenses. I
> had a Rebel XT which fried itself after one day... replaced it with a
> Pentax and could not be happier :^)
>
> The only stupid thing is buying a Canon when a Pentax is what you need.

ROFLMAO
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:26:30 AM

William O'Hara <whoohara@yahoo.com> wrote:
:
:>>What does everyone think of the Pentax digital camera?
:>
:>
:> I thought it felt too smal lin my hands, other people like it for that
:> reason.
:
: I read a review that the JPG output is no good. The
: review actually recommended the camera but to shoot
: only in RAW mode.

Bah!

The JPG output is just fine...

I've had my ist-DS since November 2004 and love it.

It works great with my old K-mount lenses as well as the new stuff.

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN