Sign in with
Your question

Freezing Issue Windows 7

Last response: in Systems
January 19, 2013 11:18:14 AM

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. Lately my computer has been freezing up quite frequently. Ninety percent of the time I tend to be playing games (I haven't been able to start a game of War of the Roses for quite a while) when it happens, but every now and then it'll do it when I'm just using the internet. I did my fair share of hunting forums and guides to try and pinpoint the problem, but nothing has worked. I've gone so far as to swap out pieces of my computer with my friend to try and identify the culprit (the only pieces we didn't swap were the motherboard, harddrive, and processor) but we haven't had any luck. I've reformatted my harddrive to start from scratch, tinkered with settings in BIOS, and installed all the current drivers I could find and nothing has helped. I've been monitoring the temperature with HWMonitor and the warmest reading I've gotten has been in the mid 40 degree celcius. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I'm not very experienced with computers and it's very possible I've missed something.

I'm running:
Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3 rev 1.1
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze (I've heard these have a bad rep, but it worked fine in my friends computer)
G.SKILL ECO 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin RAM
Western Digital WD Green WD10EARX 1TB Harddrive
AMD 8-core CPU (for the life of me I can't remember the exact one and I can't find the box at the moment)
Geforce 660ti Graphics Card

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : freezing issue windows

January 19, 2013 12:29:45 PM

What you're describing sounds like memory or heating problems. Run memtest86 on your system for several passes. Run speedfan to monitor your temperatures. Let us know the results of these tests. Good luck.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 19, 2013 2:45:16 PM

Ok ill give it a go in safe mode and ill let you know results.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 2:49:07 PM

Memory would be my first guess. Also, if your PSU isn't adequate (cheap/old/low wattage) it can cause issues as well.
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:53:53 PM

I'll run nearest when I get home from work and post the results. I've been monitoring the heat and the warmest temps I've recorded have been in the mid 40s. The PSU was my first guess but I pulled it out and tested it in my friends computer which is more of less as demanding as mine and it worked fine. If it helps, there is usually a buzzing sound that accompanies the freezing.
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:58:17 PM

*ill run memtest
m
l
!