Any configuration conflicts?

Sandpiper

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
OK gang, would you please look over the following planned configuration and check for any compatibility issues, not to mention any dumb ideas. I'm a newbie and this will be my first build, so I'm hoping to avoid ordering the wrong parts.

The primary use for the machine will be trading the Markets (numerous open programs). At first, I'm going to try a 3 monitor set-up but want to plan for a possible 6 monitor array later. I'll also use the machine for running some Autodesk Cad products (some rendering). I'm not a gamer (yet), but this rig should at least let me try it.

Case: CM Storm Stryker (love the handle & price). Alternate: Cosmos II.
PSU: Corsair AX860i. (Will it handle a 2nd card & 6 monitors, if upgrading)?
CPU: i7-3930K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
MB: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (like the wi-fi & blutooth options)
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 - 1600 Corsair Dom. Platinum CMD32GX3M4A1600C9
Video Card: MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon HD 7970 (please see cable comment)
Primary Sys. Drive: Intel 520 SSD 240GB SSDSC2CW240A3K5
Storage Drives: 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
Optical Drive: LG UH12LS28K OOS (with Lightscribe for labeling)
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W IPS (1920 x 1200 res)
Monitor cable connectivity: Full DP at monitor, mini-DP at card. The MSI Lightning 7970 is one of only a few cards that has 4 mini-DP outputs. I'm thinking this would be a nice clean installation and would avoid the need for adapters. My plan is to install 1 card for now, driving 3 monitors. I do, however, want to allow for an upgrade path to a second card & 6 monitors in the future.

Thermal paste: Artic Silver 5

Thanks in advance for all your expertise and help....

Sandpiper

Looks like a tasty build to me. A 7970 is overkill and you may want to go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195115. Instead on adapters, you can go with cables that have mini DP on one end and full DP on the other end. That will save you dough in the long run.

Sandpiper

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Thanks Maestro. I do already have those cables. That's why I'm trying to get a card that has mini-DP outputs. I agree about the 7970. My greatest concerns are the reviews of the MSI lightning. Perhaps a Firepro product would be a better choice. I'll do some more research on those.