Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NO DISPLAY (NEW PC BUILD)

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 19, 2013 1:29:06 PM

Hey guys, Im new around here and new to the PC world. Well not BRAND new, Ive obviously been using them for quite awhile but this is my first time building one. Ive been a console gamer literally my whole life and felt its finally time to get into the PC side of it. Wanted to do a modest build for my first time out so I went with these components...

Gigabyte GA-z77x-d3h mobo
Intel i5-3570k cpu
Seagate Barracude 1TB hard drive
Corsair Vengance 8gb ram
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 power supply
MSI Geforce GTX 670 gpu
Asus DVD burner

So yesterday I assembled all of those parts into the Corsair Vengance Series C70 in military green. Took my time with the build, did it in my underwear and touched the case often as not to shock anything. Looked great when I was done and especially badass in that C70 case. It was the moment of truth, I powered it up and everything seemed to work but NO DISPLAY. So I did some research and tried eliminating possibilities. The video card had power, the fans were spinning, the little LEDs were on but when I removed the card I got a display. I suspect the video card is the problem, just looking for some confirmation from you guys.

More about : display build

January 19, 2013 1:46:57 PM

InebriHATED said:
Hey guys, Im new around here and new to the PC world. Well not BRAND new, Ive obviously been using them for quite awhile but this is my first time building one. Ive been a console gamer literally my whole life and felt its finally time to get into the PC side of it. Wanted to do a modest build for my first time out so I went with these components...

Gigabyte GA-z77x-d3h mobo
Intel i5-3570k cpu
Seagate Barracude 1TB hard drive
Corsair Vengance 8gb ram
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 power supply
MSI Geforce GTX 670 gpu
Asus DVD burner

So yesterday I assembled all of those parts into the Corsair Vengance Series C70 in military green. Took my time with the build, did it in my underwear and touched the case often as not to shock anything. Looked great when I was done and especially badass in that C70 case. It was the moment of truth, I powered it up and everything seemed to work but NO DISPLAY. So I did some research and tried eliminating possibilities. The video card had power, the fans were spinning, the little LEDs were on but when I removed the card I got a display. I suspect the video card is the problem, just looking for some confirmation from you guys.



When you say you don't get any display and then you remove your 670 and you get display, here's an important question: when you have the 670 in you have your monitor cable plugged into a video connector on your 670 and not on your motherboard right? If you have the cable plugged into the motherboard, and the 670 is installed, the BIOS will default to the card it's detecting in the PCI-e slot and display will come from the card not the motherboard. The board has Lucid Logic, but I think that only works from the OS with the cable in the motherboard.

So if this is the case, move the monitor cable to you graphics card and try to boot up. If that's a go, install your OS.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 2:18:47 PM

techgeek said:
When you say you don't get any display and then you remove your 670 and you get display, here's an important question: when you have the 670 in you have your monitor cable plugged into a video connector on your 670 and not on your motherboard right? If you have the cable plugged into the motherboard, and the 670 is installed, the BIOS will default to the card it's detecting in the PCI-e slot and display will come from the card not the motherboard. The board has Lucid Logic, but I think that only works from the OS with the cable in the motherboard.

So if this is the case, move the monitor cable to you graphics card and try to boot up. If that's a go, install your OS.



I pluged a monitor cable and hdmi cable into both the mobo and gpu yesterday both with the same result, no display. I suspect its the 670. Sucks for this to happen on my first project but I guess its all part of the game. Im a gear head and Im sure if I ever built a car from scratch it wouldnt fire up first time either :lol:  Just found it odd that the 670 had power but wasnt producing a display, I guess that can happen though.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 2:28:19 PM

I don't suppose you are lucky enough to access to another computer with a PCI-e slot. That would certainly help you narrow this down. A friend, work computer, etc.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 2:39:06 PM

techgeek said:
I don't suppose you are lucky enough to access to another computer with a PCI-e slot. That would certainly help you narrow this down. A friend, work computer, etc.



No I do not, unfortunately. Im guessing that Im just gonna return the card to Newegg. I also tried putting it into both PCI-e slots on the mobo. Could it be that both PCI-e slots are bad on the mobo? Prob a slim chance. Also, its not a compatibility issue, right??
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 2:54:12 PM

Do you have video when the card is removed and the monitor plugged into the motherboard?

It's unlikely that it's a PCI-e problem. As for it being a compatibility problem, no. Your motherboard should pretty much work with any PCI-e graphics card.

If you have video with the card out, you could go into the BIOS and see what options you have for default display adapter. If you have an option, you should set it to PEG or discrete adapter (whatever it's called) and then shut off unplug your computer. Then install your 670, plug your monitor into it an restart and see if it works.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 3:09:33 PM

techgeek said:
Do you have video when the card is removed and the monitor plugged into the motherboard?

It's unlikely that it's a PCI-e problem. As for it being a compatibility problem, no. Your motherboard should pretty much work with any PCI-e graphics card.

If you have video with the card out, you could go into the BIOS and see what options you have for default display adapter. If you have an option, you should set it to PEG or discrete adapter (whatever it's called) and then shut off unplug your computer. Then install your 670, plug your monitor into it an restart and see if it works.



Ha, ha, tried that last night as well. Set it to PEG, reset, still no display.
m
0
l
!