Sign in with
Your question

ASUS M2N-E compatibility issue (Video Card, HD 5450) PLEASE HELP!

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Hardware
  • Graphics Cards
  • Compatibility
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2012 5:39:08 PM

Forgive me in advance, I'm not but a novice at hardware troubleshooting. The last time I actually touched hardware was in 2004 when I built my own computer. I am now dealing with a custom build from 2005 which my friend gave to me as he moved away. Here is my issue:

MoBo: Asus M2N-E -- http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NE/

New video card: AMD Radeon HD 5450

Problem: Will not even boot (zero beeps)

What I have tried:

1. Immediately noticed that the wattage needed for new video card is 400 minimum, old PS was 380W. Switched to other one I had which is a 480W, same problem. Bought a new 600W power supply, still same problem.

2. Since the MoBo has no onboard video, I am forced to put old video card (radeon x1950) back on to troubleshoot in bios. The only thing I've done so far, as far as my own [limited] technical knowledge can take me, is switched the main display to the PCI-E. Still no difference.

My mother is a network administrator for a portion of the Boeing HQ, and has been a computer software and hardware engineer for 20+ years. Her first instinct was that the wattage was not enough, she has yet to get back to me on what is going on.

Halp? :heink: 

More about : asus m2n compatibility issue video card 5450

a c 96 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 7:05:09 PM

the board could be out see if the led on the board goes green when you put ac on the system without powering it up also i would check the voltage of the cmos battery since this is a 2005 system
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:08:54 PM

No, it powers up just fine. I am on it right now with the old video card plugged in (with the 600w PSU). :( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 96 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 7:10:30 PM

do you have a video signal on the monitor from that card ?
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:11:43 PM

From the old card, Radeon x1950, yes. New card will not even boot to bios.
m
l
a c 96 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 7:12:55 PM

do you have another system to test the new card in ? seen something on asus they had a bios update for the hd 5850 that could help to solve your issue if the hd 5450 is good
m
l
December 4, 2012 7:19:02 PM

Yes I do, though it is a year older than the one I am trying to use.

The older one has an MSI MoBo, less ram, and a lesser processor, but I will try it. Unfortunately I have to go to work now, so I won't be able to get back to you until later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you for responding.

And btw, the video card was brand new in box. But we'll see!
m
l
a c 96 U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 7:20:22 PM

i been around
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 8:41:06 PM

The Asus M2N-E only supported a 2.0 Pci-E interface standard. the card is a Pci-E 2.1 Interface card. Since the card does not require any extra power its self, far as I know the problem is the board cannot talk to the card in the existing Pci-E slot. I doubt it is a power problem due to the fact the card has a very low power comsumption anyway.
So it will be the Pci-e interface standard causing the problem. An x1950 was 2.0.
I take it you have not done a bios update of the board, So it may be worth taking a look at as a fix.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:54:32 AM

Ah, thank you for such a concise probable problem to focus on weaselman. Yeah, in the back of my mind updating the bios sounded like a smart idea, especially from the quick internet research I did, but I have never done that. I'll take a whack at it and see if it works.

Thank you weaselman and scout_03. :bounce: 
m
l
December 5, 2012 7:17:07 PM

weaselman said:
The Asus M2N-E only supported a 2.0 Pci-E interface standard. the card is a Pci-E 2.1 Interface card. Since the card does not require any extra power its self, far as I know the problem is the board cannot talk to the card in the existing Pci-E slot. I doubt it is a power problem due to the fact the card has a very low power comsumption anyway.
So it will be the Pci-e interface standard causing the problem. An x1950 was 2.0.
I take it you have not done a bios update of the board, So it may be worth taking a look at as a fix.

OK. So, I updated the bios from version 0203 to 1701 (the one that scout_03 mentioned about the hd 5850 update). This is what has been happening:

I put in the new video card, it beeped! Boot! Great, but, it wouldn't get past POST. Just a indefinite blinking cursor.

Then the next day, for some reason, it let me get into bios for settings no problem (heating issue?). But it would freeze in bios randomly pretty much everytime. So, I kept resetting and going back into bios and saving what I could with the time it allowed me before freezing. I made changes to fan performance, main video display changed from PCI to PCI-E, and that's pretty much it. So, when I would try to actually let the OS open up, it would get as far as the opening windows logo with the 'progress bar' screen, then quickly (a millisecond) show blue screen of death, and then reboot.

I tried putting my 480W PSU back in, absolutely no difference.

Next thing I tried, updating the bios from 1703 to beta 5001. The bios freezes upon pressing YES to update.

I am incredibly frustrated and confused. :pfff: 
m
l
a c 96 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 1:34:55 AM

leave it to 1703 for now dont try to update the beta bios,even if the hd5450 is brand new she could be defective try to test her on another system to see if she work since your system boot with the old card and work the new one is to check for not booting
m
l
December 7, 2012 7:36:47 PM

scout_03 said:
leave it to 1703 for now dont try to update the beta bios,even if the hd5450 is brand new she could be defective try to test her on another system to see if she work since your system boot with the old card and work the new one is to check for not booting

Hey scout_03.

So, I am currently on my older desktop with the new video card.

My other system that I was trying to update with the newer video card, with the updated bios, will not run. Since updating the bios, the windows xp will not open past the xp splash screen, even with the exact old setup it had before with the old video card.

It will get as far as the windows splash, then flash the blue screen of death, then reboot itself.

That bios update really knocked something off kilter. Or maybe I static short-circuited something from fidgeting with it so much? It's really weird.

My older desktop is running with the HD5450 just fine right now, and for now I'm going to have to use it to catch up on some projects.

Any help on the other system would be much appreciated, but I am strongly considering rebuilding the entire thing with a newer MoBo, processor, etc.

Thank you for your help, I am very grateful to have found this forum. This by far the most concise and friendly help I have ever had from a forum or the like.

-nick
m
l
a c 96 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 1:15:59 AM

i would try a windows reinstall on the new system to see if it wil pass the splash screen an i install ask to reformat drive i would do it
m
l
December 8, 2012 4:19:29 AM

Well, unfortunately I need some files off of that hard drive, so I'm going to try and avoid that until I can access it. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to.

I have discovered a way to let the blue screen tell me what it wants me to see without rebooting a millisecond later.

I am getting an error message saying that my [new, most updated, not beta] BIOS is not ACPI compliant. I just researched this problem a bit and found that in most cases this occurs when the BIOS is older, which is then placed in the "badBIOS" list, and the windows installs a HAL, etc.. [see here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/167008-bios-not-ac... ; and here: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t214167-bios-is-n... ; and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314088 ; and plenty here: http://www.tomshardware.com/s/BIOS-ACPI-compliant-probl... ]
Mine is obviously not old, but the windows could not recognize it as such. The other problem is the freezing during BIOS setup, and the indefinite blinking cursor that won't let me past POST every, I don't know, 4 out of 5 boots. This prevents me from booting through XP CD to try and run a repair or a re-install to allow the opportunity to press F7 (or F5 or F6 as others have suggested) like the Blue screen suggests.

I feel like I'm cutting off a hydra's head and more keep popping up.

I have not seen a fix for this in my Google searches. Except for a floppy boot, which still wouldn't make sense to me because 1) who the hell has a floppy I can use these days? and 2) if I can't boot off of a CD, how would I be able to boot off of a floppy?

My other problem is that my older computer that runs my new video card just fine is so old that the SATA on it will only allow RAID or nothing, so I'm having a huge issue accessing the files that I need! *plop* Another couple heads just poked out. I'm running out of options... I spent almost my entire day today on trying to access the files, from the SATA hard drive from my original computer that I was trying to update, on my older computer that *actually runs*, but to no avail. One of my last options is a SATA to USB adapter. But, it will not come soon enough. Oy vey...

Thank you for letting me spew out this strange week-long problem, and thank you for all your help.

m
l
December 8, 2012 4:52:20 AM

I caught a break!!

So, I was browsing through a search here on tomshardware for ACPI compliant BIOS threads when I finally read this one:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269315-30-window-star...
Which mentioned removing the BIOS battery for ~5 to reset it to defaults. I did that, and reseated my RAM, put the old video card back in, and blammo!!! It booted!! MY PRECIOUS FILES!!!

So, Unfortunately, the issue with the HD5450 going into the M2N-E was not resolved, but luckily for me my older computer had no problems with the HD5450 and has, for now, been awarded first chair in my ensemble of computer-human harmony.

Until next time...
m
l
!