Low FPS in games

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm completely stumped as to why I'm getting terrible fps in games like XCOM, CS:GO, and Total War: Shogun 2. XCOM runs at about 9 FPS during gameplay. I've played with the settings and it never changes. The highest settings have the same FPS as the lowest settings.

My specs are:
AMD FX-4100 Quad-core
8gb RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7770 Sapphire
Windows 7 64 bit
850W PSU

I've updated drivers, re-installed drivers, everything! I have no idea what is causing my problem.

Any help?

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

I ran XCOM with the monitor going and my GPU was at 64% while I had it going.

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Other newer games also sit at the same fps.

As far as the Nvidia control panel goes, my graphics card is an AMD so I got rid of all Nvidia drivers so they didn't conflict with each other.

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Yeah it's the same across the board for newer games. It might be worth me mentioning that I changed out a 6670 for the 7770 because I thought it was the graphics card being poor. I then changed my 500w to an 850w. I've cleaned drivers and everything and from what I've been told by other people, it might not actually be a hardware issue but a software issue. I've been banging my head against a wall for the last 5 days without any progress :/

azed3000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Thats strange, you sure your not running some sort of fps limiter like dxtory or something? It has to be a software problem, did you try turning vsync off?? Something must be limiting the frames cause even under heavy load your still meant to see some variation in fps, even by 3-4.

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I've checked my processes and everything. It's around 2% when I've got nothing else running and gets up to 30% when I play the games. Vsync is off, yes. It's weird to me because there's no variation even when I put the settings on high or all low. It's always 10. When I scroll it does drop to 8 for a second.

Since I don't have too much on the computer as is, I've been contemplating a system restore. I've tried everything I could possibly think of and numerous people have attempted to help me, but no luck.

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Ah yeah that's what I meant. I actually lost my recovery disc so I was just going to install Windows 7 again. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate the time you gave me.

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
My motherboard is a Gigabyte M68mt-S2. I recently replaced an AMD 6670 because I thought it was the graphics card causing the poor quality. So when I put in the 7770, and the same thing happened, someone told me my power supply needed upgrading. I upgraded to an 850w. Replacing that was a bit tricky so I had to pull out the card and re-insert it again haha. So all in all I've re-inserted it twice now. I'm beginning to think it's not a hardware problem but a software.

klacker

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I reinstalled windows and I now enjoy a whopping 12 FPS for the games. When I did the reinstall I made sure to even download CCC and put it on a flash drive and manually install it once the reinstall of windows was complete.

It's at this point I wonder if I should just take it into a computer repair because I have no idea what else it could be. Any other thoughts anyone?