PC freezes on login screen, have tried flashing CMOS

I installed a new motherboard, ram and graphics card yesterday. Installed all the drivers and everything was working fine. Got up today turned pc on freezes just after I enter my login password (i had not touched with the PC in between). I run it in safe mode, runs for 2-5 minutes then freezes. I flashed the CMOS to see if resetting the bios would work, it works to let me log in and then 2 mins later freezes just the same. Hard restart after this then turn the PC back on freezes at the login screen again. It has on occasion frozen before the login screen, ie when it shows the motherboard company logo. Any help would be useful cos im stumped?!
PC info:
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4
Mobo- MSI 880GMA-E35
GPU- Powercolor HD7870
RAM- Kingston ddr3 1600 4GB x2
HDD- Barracuda Segate 3TB
SSD- Intel 120GB (with os on)
20 answers Last reply
More about freezes login screen flashing cmos
  1. What power supply is installed? Has it been upgraded along with the new components?
  2. Please list the brand of the power supply you bought, and its output in watts, and could you also check while your at it how many amps it states are on the two 12v rails of the power supply unit. That way we can tell you if its the cause of the problem.

    It most likely looks like the cause and a quick post with the details will tell us the case.
  3. Yeah the power supply was alos upgraded to a powercool 650W its has a 80+ certifercate and isnt a cheap shoddy one that explode when you turn it on?
  4. weaselman said:
    Please list the brand of the power supply you bought, and its output in watts, and could you also check while your at it how many amps it states are on the two 12v rails of the power supply unit. That way we can tell you if its the cause of the problem.

    It most likely looks like the cause and a quick post with the details will tell us the case.


    As for how many amps are on the rails, I dont know where to look for that information sorry but here is a photo of PSU info:
    http://s1076.beta.photobucket.com/user/jbrear/media/SAM_0560_zps730a8440.jpg.html
    and a link for the PSU if it helps:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/191847-powercool-650w-modular-psu-80-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc650aubam
  5. Try another and better quality PSU. Yours may not be that bad, but it definitely isn't a 650W unit (only 28W total on the +12v rails). A PSU like the Corsair Builder Series CX 500W provides 38A on the 12v rail.
  6. yeah though one way to test your psu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

    also try clearing CMOS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

    oh yeah and did you reinstal windows that is kind of a big part of upgrading the motherboard
  7. Another piece of information if it makes any difference is that my pc also froze whilst I was in my BIOS
  8. Quote:
    As for how many amps are on the rails, I dont know where to look for that information sorry but here is a photo of PSU info:
    http://s1076.beta.photobucket.com/user/jbrear/media/SAM_0560_zps730a8440.jpg.html
    and a link for the PSU if it helps:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/191847-powercool-650w-modular-psu-80-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc650aubam

    This one is better than the non-modular unit that I found, but I still recommend that you try a different PSU.
  9. Quote:
    Another piece of information if it makes any difference is that my pc also froze whilst I was in my BIOS

    That's one more reason to try a different PSU. It may be fine, but that's the first thing to try if you are sure that everything has been installed correctly.
  10. clear you cmos, this could fix your issue when i upgraded my system i started it up and no post, i then pushed the clear CMOS button and up it went, also did you or did you no reinstall windows?

    reset cmos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI
  11. PanicMaster85 said:
    clear you cmos, this could fix your issue when i upgraded my system i started it up and no post, i then pushed the clear CMOS button and up it went, also did you or did you no reinstall windows?

    reset cmos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI


    Ive tried clearing CMOS it made a slight difference and let me get past log in stage but then freezes a minute or so later. I have re installed windows but have not re activated it as it first froze when I was installing the network adapter driver to get access to the internet. Do you suggest re installing?
  12. ok yeah it sounds like your motherboard is done, just to be sure do you have any ram, gpu, or extra PSU you can try and boot with?

    if you do adn it still has the problem RMA your motherboard because its either that or you CPU

    also check for cold solder points
  13. GhislainG said:
    Try another and better quality PSU. Yours may not be that bad, but it definitely isn't a 650W unit (only 28W total on the +12v rails). A PSU like the Corsair Builder Series CX 500W provides 38A on the 12v rail.


    Are you sure its not a 650W one cos thats what it ses on the box, if by your working it isnt someone on ebuyer will be getting a disgruntled email!!

    I dont have a better PSU to try with at the moment, but I do have my old 450W one that I upgraded from. So if it runs with the 450W PSU and doesn't freeze then the problem is purely PSU related?
  14. yes try that and your old ram/video card
  15. if it still freezes its your motherboard then if it does then install your new ram... if it boots install your new GPU if it boots install your new PSU and somewhere it will freeze indicating a faulty part
  16. Quote:
    Are you sure its not a 650W one cos thats what it ses on the box, if by your working it isnt someone on ebuyer will be getting a disgruntled email!!

    I dont have a better PSU to try with at the moment, but I do have my old 450W one that I upgraded from. So if it runs with the 450W PSU and doesn't freeze then the problem is purely PSU related?

    The modular unit that you have is 650W; I checked the non-modular unit and it wasn't as powerful. Try your 450W to rule out the PSU.
  17. PanicMaster85 said:
    if it still freezes its your motherboard then if it does then install your new ram... if it boots install your new GPU if it boots install your new PSU and somewhere it will freeze indicating a faulty part


    Ok ill get on it thanks for the help and ill let you know the result.
  18. yep like i said before try booting with all you old stuff(besides motherboard) and if it boots slowly start "upgrading" the parts
  19. GhislainG said:
    The modular unit that you have is 650W; I checked the non-modular unit and it wasn't as powerful. Try your 450W to rule out the PSU.


    Ok thanks for the help, ill let you know the outcome
  20. why is noone reading my posts? :(

    I said what he just said before HE did... oh well
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Login Motherboards Systems