Should GTX 580 SLI be lagging in Max Payne 3?

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Hey wasn't sure whether to put this in this section or gaming so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. Got Max Payne 3 in a Steam sale recently and decided to try it out but ran into some issues.

I'm running 2x GTX 580 3GB models in SLI and get terrible stuttering, particularly in outdoor areas where there is a lot of foliage. Everywhere else seems to run smooth though so I'm wondering if my system should still be able to max it out.

When I go to the graphics settings and max every option, the VRAM usage says ~4000mb and my total VRAM as ~6000mb. I know I only have 3GB of VRAM so does that mean the total usage is about 2GB too then? So my system should be able to handle it fine correct?

I saw a couple other threads about having to turn off MXAA but it seems like my system should be able to handle it. I'm running an i7-2600k and 16GB of ram too if that helps at all. Thanks in advance.

edit: Sorry forgot to mention I'm running the game at 1920x1080 on a 27" monitor.

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Wow I just checked right now and both are jumping from 90%-99% usage. So it seems like this game is really hard on them for some reason.

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Well I was using Precision X to measure the GPU usage, should I use Afterburner to check? What program should I use to check CPU usage? I actually just checked my CPU temps and they're idling a bit higher than normal...I might have to check on the thermal paste or see if the radiator is dirty.

I'm running beta drivers from Geforce so I could play AC3 before. This game has been out a while though so I didn't think there should be any more driver issues. I installed them correctly too by wiping my old drivers first so not sure if that's the problem.

mrlime09

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

If you are just watching you're Videocard then Precision X should't be an issue at all. If you overclock however use MSI Afterburner as Precision X seems to be know for unstable overclocks. I am not sure what might be causing you're stuttering with 580's in SLI but it could be one is getting Faulty or that Nvidia's Driver profile for the game just isn't where it needs to be for the 5xx Cards. I use CPU-Z well if you're temps are high you could check to see if the Thermal paste dried up. It almost never dries but when it does it can be a pain in the ass.

Precision X is good as well. I have never used it before though. Does it show VRAM usage? If so, it's good.

I've never heard of Precision X having bad overclocks. Source?

To monitor CPU, use Resource Monitor, which is integrated into Windows 7. It's a really great tool: it lets you even select a process which you want to actively monitor and does a graph of how it uses the CPU.

mrlime09

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Oh yeah I forgot It might be what settings you have the game on. There seems to be a bug that reports more Video ram then you really have with SLI. If Max Payne really uses over two GB's with 8x MSAA then check to see if you have that turned up to 8x. That might be the issue if true.

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Hm OK I'll give Afterburner a try later I guess and see if I get more stable clocks. I'm not sure if one of my cards is dying since I can run Arkham City, BF3, etc all at highest settings without any lag at all, so I was skeptical that Max Payne 3 would be that much more demanding.

Yes it does show VRAM usage, it's the only program I've used to monitor/overclock my GPU and I've never had a problem with it. We'll see if I can get better overclocks though with Afterburner.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up on the Resource Monitor, looks pretty damn useful. I'm a bit confused though, which graph am I supposed to look at to see overall CPU usage?

Yea I mentioned that in the very first post that the game was reporting I had ~6000mb of VRAM available. So this game really uses 4GB of VRAM? I assumed it was just 2GB but the game was doubling it since it seems to double the VRAM of my 2 GPU's. I did searches for people with 4GB usage but it seems like most people see 2GB usage when every setting is maxed out.

First of all, disable hyperthreading in BIOS, because if you don't, it confuses windows and it cannot measure the CPU usage correctly.

Secondly, fire up the game, then open the resource monitor, CPU tab and tick the Max Payne 3 process. Then, on the right side, you'll see an orange graph. That's what Max payne 3 uses.

Lastly, so what's your VRAM usage?!?!?

mrlime09

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I think you are being a tad rude Sunius ask him nicely dude. Anyways I have a GTX 670 PE and can't use 8x MSAA the most I can use is 4x. I just watched a Video on YouTube and it seems the game can use a Total of 3.5GBs which is crazy high.

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

OK thanks I'll change those settings in a bit.

VRAM usage is steady at 1550-1600 for both cards.

Damn that's crazy high. It seems like there's a problem with this though since Precision X says I'm only using half of my VRAM.

I really doubt it's VRAM problem. If it's indeed using only 1.5 GB of VRAM, it cannot lag because of that. I'd check CPU usage. Also, you can download GPU-z, you don't have to install it and it will show the VRAM usage as well (just in case Precision X is wrong, it probably isn't, but worth to double check it).

bizzy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

GPU-z seems to be reporting the same thing. CPU usage seems to stay below 50-55% if I'm reading it right.