Found new hardware sound-- but nothing else. Why?

jjkrogs

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Hi there, my last home-build bug to squash... Clean Windows 7 HP 64bit install (all updates downloaded), new ASUS Sabertooth X79, all USB device drivers current, all chipset drivers et al are current, bios current.

EVERY reboot, once Windows has loaded, I get the "found new hardware/USB plug in" sound-- but no wizard pops up to install software and there are no listed conflicts in my device manager. Everything seems to be running fine.

I've done several searches and it seems this is a common problem, but there doesn't seem to be many issues that don't involve the hardware wizard popup or any listed conflicts in hardware manager.

I have a Logitech G500 mouse and G510 keyboard-- I've read that sometimes Logitech's software does this, but I unplugged both USB devices to test and restarted. The chime still happened, suggesting it's not these USB devices.

Any ideas?

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
You can give this a try and see if it helps anything Turn off Auto Update and select "Choose which updates to install" then you periodically check the list for mny updates that you think should be installed.

Go into Device Manager and see if there are any errors, if so do a re-install or update of thoserdevices that are in error.

When you shut down, there usually is a message on the Shut down box asking if you want to install new updates the next time you power on. Click yeas then restart and allow those updates to continue, do not exit.

jjkrogs

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I don't have any messages upon shut down suggesting updates are ready and there are no conflicts in device manager. And I get the sound every time I reboot (sometimes 2 times, sometimes 3 times, suggesting 2-3 devices are constantly being detected).

Here's what I have connected:

1 externally-powered USB hub with a flash drive and multi-card reader attached.

1 Optical out digital audio going to external receiver (I recently re-installed the mobo sound drivers to make sure this wasnt it)

1 USB-connection to my battery backup, which is working just fine.

1 USB-connected external, dual-drive docking back which I keep powered off because I rarely use it.

1 Logitech G500 mouse/1 G510 gaming keyboard attached via USB.

1 HDMI (via GPU) attached projector which is generally always off unless I'm actively gaming.

My usual monitor attached via DVI

Ethernet cable (again, recently reinstalled drivers to make sure this wasn't the issue)

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
So what is your main goal here, those sounds are your uPnP devices loading at start up. They do not need a install wizard they do this automatically. it makes sense that there are two to three beeps based on all the usb devices you have. I bet the Multi-card reader is one of them. Are you trying to find a way to turn off the chime?

jjkrogs

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

If that's all it is-- a chime, and not a USB or driver hiccup, then yeah I guess I don't want to hear it every time I boot up. I've never had a computer do that every time I startup until this one.

I don't mind deactivating something as long as it doesn't affect any future PnP stuff I use. So is there a tweak that will prevent that sound only on boot, and not at other times?

jjkrogs

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

That's more of a work-around, and would prevent that sound from occurring any time I connect devices in the future. It just bothers me a bit that I don't think it's supposed to happen and I don't know why it is.