Olympus releases another EXPENSIVE zoom

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 7, 2005 4:02:37 AM

"With a zooming range spanning 14-35mm (28-70mm on 35mm cameras), the
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm is set to become the brightest all-round
interchangeable lens available*. Boasting a 1:2.0 aperture across its
entire focal range spectrum, it offers photographers exceptional
flexibility to boost their effectiveness while on assignment.
Preliminary features

Ultra-bright 1:2.0 fixed aperture

Super ED and ED glass elements for absolute minimum chromatic
aberration

Splash and dust proof construction to enhance reliability

2.5x wide-angle zoom performance 14-35mm(28-70mm on a 35mm camera)

Planned sales start autum 2005.
* As at February 2005"
August 7, 2005 8:20:55 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:02:37 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>"With a zooming range spanning 14-35mm (28-70mm on 35mm cameras), the
>ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm is set to become the brightest all-round
>interchangeable lens available*. Boasting a 1:2.0 aperture across its
>entire focal range spectrum, it offers photographers exceptional
>flexibility to boost their effectiveness while on assignment.
>Preliminary features
>
>Ultra-bright 1:2.0 fixed aperture
>
>Super ED and ED glass elements for absolute minimum chromatic
>aberration
>
>Splash and dust proof construction to enhance reliability
>
>2.5x wide-angle zoom performance 14-35mm(28-70mm on a 35mm camera)
>
>Planned sales start autum 2005.
>* As at February 2005"

fixed aperture? What does this mean. Not what I interpret it to
mean, i hope.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 8:37:54 AM

Charles wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:02:37 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>

>>"With a zooming range spanning 14-35mm (28-70mm on 35mm cameras), the
>>ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm is set to become the brightest all-round
>>interchangeable lens available*. Boasting a 1:2.0 aperture across its
>>entire focal range spectrum, it offers photographers exceptional
>>flexibility to boost their effectiveness while on assignment.
>>Preliminary features
>>
>>Ultra-bright 1:2.0 fixed aperture
>>
>>Super ED and ED glass elements for absolute minimum chromatic
>>aberration
>>
>>Splash and dust proof construction to enhance reliability
>>
>>2.5x wide-angle zoom performance 14-35mm(28-70mm on a 35mm camera)
>>
>>Planned sales start autum 2005.
>>* As at February 2005"
>

> fixed aperture? What does this mean. Not what I interpret it to
> mean, i hope.

Fixed aperture usually means fixed "maximum" aperture. Now, I don't know
what he means by 1:2.0. I think there is a 14-35 f/2.0 lens coming out.
How much is it? Canon has 16-35 f/2.8. As the 4/3 system has a smaller
sensor with less than ideal low light performance. That 1 stop isn't
going to make any difference.
August 7, 2005 8:37:55 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:37:54 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Charles wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:02:37 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"With a zooming range spanning 14-35mm (28-70mm on 35mm cameras), the
>>>ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm is set to become the brightest all-round
>>>interchangeable lens available*. Boasting a 1:2.0 aperture across its
>>>entire focal range spectrum, it offers photographers exceptional
>>>flexibility to boost their effectiveness while on assignment.
>>>Preliminary features
>>>
>>>Ultra-bright 1:2.0 fixed aperture
>>>
>>>Super ED and ED glass elements for absolute minimum chromatic
>>>aberration
>>>
>>>Splash and dust proof construction to enhance reliability
>>>
>>>2.5x wide-angle zoom performance 14-35mm(28-70mm on a 35mm camera)
>>>
>>>Planned sales start autum 2005.
>>>* As at February 2005"
>>

>> fixed aperture? What does this mean. Not what I interpret it to
>> mean, i hope.
>

>Fixed aperture usually means fixed "maximum" aperture. Now, I don't know
>what he means by 1:2.0. I think there is a 14-35 f/2.0 lens coming out.
> How much is it? Canon has 16-35 f/2.8. As the 4/3 system has a smaller
>sensor with less than ideal low light performance. That 1 stop isn't
>going to make any difference.

Well, if someone can shoot at 200ISO instead of 400, it will make some
difference.
-Rich
August 7, 2005 2:23:00 PM

> Well, if someone can shoot at 200ISO instead of 400, it will make some
> difference.
> -Rich

If you get good enough results at 400ISO it will make no difference ;O)
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:35:23 PM

In message <uv2bf1hirm9ju1a1h3dd8fp9jknijm07ce@4ax.com>,
Charles <ckraft@SAMTRAP.west.net> wrote:

>fixed aperture? What does this mean. Not what I interpret it to
>mean, i hope.

They probably meant "fixed minimum f-stop across the zoom range".
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:37:46 PM

In message <CegJe.2449$RS.2304@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>fixed aperture usually means fixed "maximum" aperture.

"Aperture" is not a synonym for f-stop; aperture is an absolute
measurement (mm or inches); f-stop is a ratio of focal length to
effective aperure. That's why it is often express as a fraction: f/x.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 5:33:48 PM

RichA wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:37:54 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>

>>Charles wrote:

>>>fixed aperture? What does this mean. Not what I interpret it to
>>>mean, i hope.
>>

>>Fixed aperture usually means fixed "maximum" aperture. Now, I don't know
>>what he means by 1:2.0. I think there is a 14-35 f/2.0 lens coming out.
>> How much is it? Canon has 16-35 f/2.8. As the 4/3 system has a smaller
>>sensor with less than ideal low light performance. That 1 stop isn't
>>going to make any difference.
>

> Well, if someone can shoot at 200ISO instead of 400, it will make some
> difference.
> -Rich

Not so when comparing Olympus E300 ISO 200 to Canon 350D ISO 400.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:07:32 PM

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 10:23:00 +0100, "dylan" <no@nowhere.com> wrote:

>> Well, if someone can shoot at 200ISO instead of 400, it will make some
>> difference.
>> -Rich
>
>If you get good enough results at 400ISO it will make no difference ;O)

Then I guess IS makes no sense either, since it's designed to allow
you use lower shutter speeds? In all these cases, they allow more
freedom.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:09:25 PM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:33:48 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>RichA wrote:

>>>Fixed aperture usually means fixed "maximum" aperture. Now, I don't know
>>>what he means by 1:2.0. I think there is a 14-35 f/2.0 lens coming out.
>>> How much is it? Canon has 16-35 f/2.8. As the 4/3 system has a smaller
>>>sensor with less than ideal low light performance. That 1 stop isn't
>>>going to make any difference.
>>

>> Well, if someone can shoot at 200ISO instead of 400, it will make some
>> difference.
>> -Rich
>
>Not so when comparing Olympus E300 ISO 200 to Canon 350D ISO 400.

No, but what if you only own the Olympus? Or, what if you've engaged
IS with the Canon and pushed the ISO as high as you can, would the
extra f-stop of light not be worth anything to you?
-Rich
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:21:31 AM

RichA wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:33:48 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>

>>RichA wrote:

>>>Well, if someone can shoot at 200ISO instead of 400, it will make some
>>>difference.
>>>-Rich
>>
>>Not so when comparing Olympus E300 ISO 200 to Canon 350D ISO 400.
>

> No, but what if you only own the Olympus? Or, what if you've engaged
> IS with the Canon and pushed the ISO as high as you can, would the
> extra f-stop of light not be worth anything to you?
> -Rich

We are comparing Canon 16-35/2.8 vs. Olympus 14-35/2. Not comparing
Canon 16-35/2.8 vs 17-40/4 or Olympus 14-35/2 vs ??-??/2.8.
!