Advice on builing my first home server

korgtronix

Dec 22, 2012
Hi

I am looking to build a home server to replace my NAS, I want it to have as much space for hard drives as possible but with a low footprint on my power bill. I have the hard drives already, a small ssd for a boot drive but not much else.

The server will be used for general file serving as well as being a media server/torrent server. I would like to use it as a Minecraft server for me and a few friends but this is a secondary need. The most important thing is for it to be as low power as possible as I would like it on for 24/7.

If any parts can be suggested my maximum budget is £150, I do not need drives as already detailed.

Thankyou for any help

Approximate Purchase Date: I have time

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) £150.........£200 at most

System Usage from Most to Least Important: It will be used as a File Server, Media Server, Torrent Server and possibly a Minecraft Server

Are you buying a monitor: No, it will be headless

Parts to Upgrade: All except hard drives

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No real preference as to website, just need them to be cheap

Parts Preferences: Whatever offers the best performance for price range, I want the final system to be as low powered as possible

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I currently have a QNAP NAS but it isn't fast enough for my liking. I would like to replace it with a homebuilt solution, I need it to be as low powered as possible whilst still having the ability to attach 5 hard drives should i choose. The minecraft server is a secondary need and not important if it stops me achieving the first goals.

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Basically, what you need is a full tower case. Those run around $100-$200. Still need a power supply (let's say $45). Put a cheap $50 motherboard and some ram, let's say 4 gb ($25) and a Pentium G860 ($65) processor. Total is about $320.
What is 150 in American $? Is it safe to assume it is about $300??

TRENDING THREADS