Low GPU usage, unexpected fps

G

Hi all, i have some serious problem. 3 months ago I deciided to upgrade my pc. So I bought new GPU...GTX 285-> MSI GTX 670 PE 2GB. I had i7 920 @ stock 2.66 ghz and so i had low fps in most of games. I OC´ed it to 3.8. Now in many games i have low FPS then in most of benchmark tests of my GPU. For example in Skyrim on High-ultra preset I have 35-60 fps (V sync on) and GPU usage never hits more than 45%. Does the cpu bottlenecking me? I dont think. 3.8 is pretty decent. In my rig is 6 gb ddr3 ram at 1600mhz. tripple channel. 3x2 kit. Can this problem be becouse of my monitor? I have only 19´´ Samsung lcd with max resolution of 1440x900. Nothing is overheating, i have good cooling solution of my HAF 922 case. So can this be the heart of my problem? At the all, none game runs proper to my gtx 670...There must be some bottleneck. Thanks for every respond. Cheers.

G

Cpu usage +- 80% at skyrim and my PSU is OCZ MOD X-STREAM PRO 700W

cbag

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
try dropping the resolution (keep other settings the same) in skyrim and see if your FPS goes up. If it goes up you have a GPU bottleneck (unlikely). If FPS stays the same at the lower resolution you have a CPU bottleneck.

JJ1217

Honorable

What...? Running a lower resolution makes it MUCH easier to run, so obviously the frames will be higher. I'm not sure what you are talking about there. A much easier way to check if its a CPU bottleneck, is seeing how high CPU usage is, while playing a game. If maxing out at 100% while your GPU is at like 60%, then its a CPU bottleneck. If its less than 100%, then you might have some issues elsewhere.

Also OP, about Skyrim. Its been noted that Skyrim only utilises two cores, meaning that GPU usage will often be lower than 100%. I hit around 60% GPU usage in Skyrim.