Sign in with
Your question

Overscan... Help me understand!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2012 11:43:53 PM

Ok. So when I first got my computer, I turned it all on and started it up and lo and behold there was about a one inch border around the edges of my monitor. After a fair bit of research I found out that the borders could be gotten rid of by going into catalyst and changing the overscan setting to 0%. I've sort of accepted this for 2 years now.

But of course, when I play DirectX 10 games... the overscan setting gets reset! But that's another story.

My main question is, why do I have to change the overscan setting? I know CRT monitors needed this... but in the modern age of LCDs why does it still exist? Is it some sort of grandfathered technology?

Thanks in advance.

More about : overscan understand

December 5, 2012 12:04:23 AM

Have read that. Doesn't explain why LCDs still need it. Theoretically, it should be a useless feature, especially for a modern GPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 1:40:10 AM

Overscan is still used on TVs, it cuts off the noisy edge of TV broadcasts. Are you using a TV as your monitor?
m
l
December 5, 2012 9:31:09 AM

Nope. I'm using some inexpensive 23" computer screen. I'm guessing the reason for the overscan is because it's cheap.
m
l
!