Sign in with
Your question

Using my TV as a PC gaming monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2012 12:17:19 AM

I have a 42" Sony Bravia LCD TV, and I've run an HDMI cable from my pc to the TV. This works just fine when I'm using any programs that are windowed. But when I try to get a PC game to output to the tv, it doesn't work. I've tried several different games. I set the TV as monitor 1 in control panel, and set windows to display on monitor 1 (the games only seem to run on the main monitor), but when I launch the game, the TV screen goes completely black for about 30 seconds, then my PC reverts my regular 22" monitor back to monitor 1 and minimizes the game.

I was told that I need to be sure the game's resolution settings match my TV's native resolution, but most games, Skyrim for instance, doesn't go up that high (1920x1080).

More about : gaming monitor

December 5, 2012 12:21:49 AM

Every game goes up to 1080p. That is the standard for gaming on a pc at this point. Try updating a few things, like the games your are playing and maybe try different drivers.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:32:13 AM

xenophone said:
I have a 42" Sony Bravia LCD TV, and I've run an HDMI cable from my pc to the TV. This works just fine when I'm using any programs that are windowed. But when I try to get a PC game to output to the tv, it doesn't work. I've tried several different games. I set the TV as monitor 1 in control panel, and set windows to display on monitor 1 (the games only seem to run on the main monitor), but when I launch the game, the TV screen goes completely black for about 30 seconds, then my PC reverts my regular 22" monitor back to monitor 1 and minimizes the game.

I was told that I need to be sure the game's resolution settings match my TV's native resolution, but most games, Skyrim for instance, doesn't go up that high (1920x1080).

I think i know what it is...

Are you doing "extend desktop"?

try setting the display mode to Mirror, or single display....
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 12:41:40 AM

I'm looking at Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 right now, and neither of them go past 1680x1050.

@wrathofdragon: I set it to single display on the tv, not extend.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:48:38 AM

well you can play every new game at 1080 I guarantee those games do. There are benchmarks at 1080p for both. Do what wrath of dragon said.
m
l
December 5, 2012 12:56:25 AM

If someone besides lt_dan_zsu would like to weight in I'd appreciate it.
m
l
December 5, 2012 1:17:12 AM

Figured it out! It won't give me the higher resolution option until after I set the TV as the only display.
m
l
December 5, 2012 1:37:50 AM

Which was exactly what I said...
:) 
m
l
December 5, 2012 1:43:17 AM

Well, I was doing what you said, just after loading the game up. The only way it would work is if I set it to a single display first, then load the game.
m
l
December 9, 2013 7:32:45 PM

xenophone said:
Well, I was doing what you said, just after loading the game up. The only way it would work is if I set it to a single display first, then load the game.

Yeah. but all TES games a icky if you try to alt+tab.

if i ever get something pop up while playing skyrim, i cant get back to it. have to close it and run it again. its the game itself, not the computer. (ps this happens on many bethesda games ==> oblivion, skyrim, fNV

m
l
!