Radeon 5570 has given out...need a replace

bmaner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Not a whole lot of knowledge about graphics cards and computers, so bare with me... Bought the computer 2 years ago pretty much stock from the store lol. Anyway the fan on the card is the loudest thing coming from the tower.

My question is should i upgrade to something better, or just get the same card? Not sure if everything else can handle something better just because everything else is stock. Every game (don't play a whole lot) has worked flawlessly, most recent would be D3, and I don't see any upcoming titles that i'll pick up. Although I do plan on connecting a second monitor (tv) to it in a few months (but I'll ask how I can do that later in a new thread when that time comes)

hp pavillion
intel core i7 860 @2.8 GHz
msi iona 1.0 motherboard
8gb Samsung DDR3 memory
300watt max output on power supply

Thanks.

storm slider

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Well, it wouldn't hurt to get an upgrade. Especially if you aren't lagging/having any troubles with the games you play so far. However, you would have to replace the power supply which really isn't a crazy nor a expensive upgrade.

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Get a better card. However, to get a better card, you need a better Power Supply. My suggestion is to buy a PSU of at least 550W from any of these brands-

Antec
XFX
Seasonic
Silverstone
Corsair

It is very important to have a good PSU, infact, if you have a low budget (please state what it is), it is better to go for PSU upgrade than a GPU upgrade :D

Also, state your budget and we will find the best GPU for you!

bmaner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
Ok that's what I thought.
Budget wise, probably up to $100 for the PSU and I guess around $200 for the GPU. Don't need anything top of the line in those price ranges, but with such a variety that should be a good cap.

bmaner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

bmaner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Link for GPU is the same as the PSU. I'd like to know which GPU your referring to..

Does brand name matter? This on is a "gigabyte" but theres so many other names as well
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125435

Avenged7x

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
For the GPU the brand doesn't make much difference. The chipset is the same (AMD/ATI make Radeon) the various brands (Gigabyte, XFX, HIS, Saphire etc.. etc..) use the same chipset but may offer different coolers, overclocks and warranty. The 7770 is a decent performer for mid level gaming and doesn't require alot of power.

For the PSU the brand is very important, some will not deliver anywhere near the rated wattage and can be unstable etc... Some of the really bad ones can damage your hardware and even burn up. I wouldn't recommend Cooler Master for PSU, most around here will recommend Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX. A good 450w would be sufficient for your needs as well.

What is the model of your current computer? The new 7000 series draws less power than the previous series. In most cases you would not need to upgrade your PSU for a card like this. It is 'recommended' but is not required. I would just buy the card which comes with the power adapters for the card. If you run into any issues with the system I would than replace the power supply.

7770 GHz:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074

bmaner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
before i close this up, my last question is with the 650 Ti, how do I connect a tv to the computer as a second monitor? never done dual before, and i might as well get that out of the way since im here now lol

EasyTransfer

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2012
Considering there are not many gpus out there that don't need a 6-pin connector or 2 that are good and considering you probably don't want to upgrade your psu, I'll still upgrade to something like a 7750 that doesn't need any power from the psu very good and you can pick a sapphire one up for £80 of amazon uk. If you want something better just reply specify

bmaner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
well i might as well upgrade the psu. and its always something I can keep going forward in a few years. ive already finished looking for a psu.

i dont game a whole lot, but I'd like to have a gpu that can last me atleast another 2 years before i decide to upgrade anything again. from now until then who knows what games will come out. looking forward to bioshock infinite, and possibly D3 expansion in like 2 years LOL.