Windows 7 won't install. Please help!!

G

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right category to post my question in, but I'm in need of some help.

I just recently bought a new motherboard, RAM and CPU for my desktop PC. The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77-HD3 LGA1155 full-ATX motherboard, and the CPU is an Intel Core i5-3470 quad-core CPU.

My new CPU and RAM, and my graphics card all seem to be working, but I've been having problems installing Windows 7 Home Premium. I've tried installing Windows 7 on two different hard drives (formatted both) through two different USB thumbdrives (one of which I've used many times to install Windows on other machines with success) and Windows just doesn't seem to want to install on either of the hard drives. I've also tried installing Ubuntu Linux on both hard drives, with no success.

I'm running out of ideas, which is why I've decided to post this question on here. Any help with this is very much appreciated.

G

Thanks, I'll try it, and if it doesn't work, then I'll be back on here.

G

Windows 7, Windows XP AND Ubuntu won't install from a disc, they won't install from a USB drive, and they won't install from another hard drive...

All of the parts in this computer are new parts that I just bought or new parts that were bought within the last 4 months. I don't understand why Windows (or any other OS for that matter) won't install...

I'm still in dire need of help.

G

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77-HD3 LGA 1155 motherboard, if that helps at all. I still can't get any operating systems to install... The desktop restarts randomly when trying to install an OS, which is one of the reasons why I can't install any OS's.

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Your problem isn't that "whatever" won't install. You have an "unstable system"/"crashing" problem. IE, a hardware problem. Being able to boot/start the install at all generally means the CPU is probably fine, the most likely culprits would be overheating (non-working CPU fan, badly seated cooler, no thermal paste, etc), one or more bad sticks of RAM, bad/insufficient power supply, or bad motherboard in that order.
Follow the steps on here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

G

CPU is fine, both RAM sticks work, currently I'm only using one stick, hard drives have been reformatted multiple times and have been tested (to the best of my abilities) to work, graphics card has been removed (using the integrated graphics,) temperatures are normal, voltages are normal, and the copies of operating systems that I own have worked on other machines.

All of the parts in this desktop are new, and even after all this, I'm still unable to install an operating system...

G

2 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz RAM, but I'm only using one stick at the moment.

Please explain to me what you mean by "How is it set in BIOS ? With a XMP profile, or did it default to ?????"

your BIOS will have a section for RAM . Timings [ 9-9-9-24 etc ] and voltage should be adjustable manually , and there will be an option to enable an XMP profile

If there is an option to enable a profile then do it

There is a lot of RAM that fits that description . Some of it is definitely not suitable . Have you got a link to the modules you bought

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/xms-classic/cmx8gx3m2a1600c9.html

That's what looks like is going on.

if cball1311 is right about that being your RAM you should send it back

IB and SB , and new AMD FX processors should be run with RAM voltages of 1.5 OR LESS
On an Intel build that RAM would void your warranty on the processor .

Its not likely them being rated at 1.65 is causing the instability , but the mb/cpu may be trying to run them at 1.5 volts and that would make your system unstable because its not enough for that RAM

Get 1.5 volt or less RAM

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
Did you try just the other stick of RAM ? Did you reduce timings in the BIOS to 1333 and reduce CAS,etc to higher numbers like 12-12-12-30 for testing purposes ? Did you change which slot the one stick is in ? If you have bad RAM you should be able to get one stick to work at reduced timings, it would be unlikely that they would both be bad. I actually am running 4 sticks of that exact RAM in an i5-3570k (originally bought for Phenom II 965be), and it works just fine at 1333. Have you used your power supply to run another machine of similar wattage draw ? Just because the power supply will boot your system doesn't necessarily make it "good" - it could be dropping the voltage on higher load that you don't hit until you start installing.
Once you take the build apart and put it back together again (to eliminate issues with not quite plugged in cables, badly seated CPU, RAM, etc), and tried with both sticks of RAM individual on reduced timings, ideally you would acquire/borrow a second power supply and try again. If everything works great, I'd get a new power supply. If it still fails, new motherboard.

Edit to add, when debugging, no hardware should be considered "known good" unless it has been stress tested on a stable system. For power supply add "and at a similar or greater power draw". IE, I wouldn't call the hard drive good unless an HDTune benchmark on the full drive on a stable system showed it good. A graphics card not good unless it could complete a Furmark burn-in test. RAM & CPU not good unless they could complete a 24 hour Prime 95 Blend test.

G

Okay, so Windows 7 FINALLY installed. Yay. Turns out it was a problem with the copy of Windows that I was using, so... yeah, that was a thing.

Windows installed fine with one stick of RAM, but when I go to install the second stick of RAM, Windows will randomly give me the BSOD and will restart.

- DRAM Voltage is 1.5v for both Channel A and B and that's on Auto Mode on my motherboards settings.
- The tested voltage of my RAM is 1.65v
- I changed the DRAM Voltage to 1.65v with the same results (BSOD, random startup)
- Should I change the DRAM Voltage to 1.65v, or leave it at 1.5v?