Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Won't Connect to DVI or Analogue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2012 2:40:53 AM

This problem is really perplexing me as everything has been working fine until just now.
Basically I've been upgrading various aspects of my PC and recently I got a new graphics card, a Radeon HD 66870 and everything was working for great for the first day running it. Graphics were so much better and slicker but I set my PC to sleep when I left the house and now my monitor will not connect to my PC.
Here's what I have tried:
-I've unplugged my DVI cable on both ends and plugged back in.
-Switched off the PC and monitor and restarted.
-Taken out my new graphics card and put in my old Nvidia 9400 GT which doesn't use DVI, but still the same problem.
-However weirdly enough, when I plugged the monitor into my laptop as a cloned screen, my monitor displayed my laptop screen perfectly.

I'm really stumped on how to get my PC and monitor to connect and I don't have an alternative monitor to use, so I now can't use my PC.
Please help.
December 5, 2012 2:45:16 AM

Check your bios to make sure that it is using the PCI slot and not trying to use an internal onboard video card.
December 5, 2012 2:52:57 AM

How do I do that without a working screen?
Related resources
December 5, 2012 3:03:48 AM

Slannman33 said:
How do I do that without a working screen?

It never shows anything even when booting up? hmm.

Try resetting the cmos then.
December 5, 2012 3:13:12 AM

Yeah, sorry I should have explained what I get when I switch on. PC powers up, fans whirring, lights on and blank screen save for a box in the corner switching between Analogue and DVI before the monitor then goes into sleep mode with a flashing orange light. If I unplug the DVI cable it comes up with 'check signal cable'.
Also, how do I reset the CMOS?
December 5, 2012 7:03:32 AM

It depends on the computer's motherboard, but usually you can just remove the battery (looks kind of like a watch battery) that is on the motherboard for about 10-15 minutes.
!