Sign in with
Your question

Everything incompatible with windows 7 64-bit

Last response: in Windows 7
March 7, 2012 7:29:44 AM

Hi, I recently built a new computer and everything i try to install besides video and motherboard drivers say they aren't compatible. I've never seen anything like this before. Whenever I try to install winrar, it says its not compatible and tells me to check whether my os is 32 or 64 bit, when it clearly says it is 64 in my "my computer" properties.

How do i fix this? I've even tried reformatting but nothing is working.
March 7, 2012 8:43:10 AM

tonystix said:
Hi, I recently built a new computer and everything i try to install besides video and motherboard drivers say they aren't compatible. I've never seen anything like this before. Whenever I try to install winrar, it says its not compatible and tells me to check whether my os is 32 or 64 bit, when it clearly says it is 64 in my "my computer" properties.

Have you tried installing via compatibility mode(right click file>select properties>select compatibility tab)?

If you have issues regarding the 32 bit version, try installing the 64 bit version of Winrar http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Alternatively u cud install 7zip 32/64 bit http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Make sure u install the appropriate "64 bit" drivers for ur computer.

m
l
March 7, 2012 9:17:31 AM

tried compatibility mode as well. In addition, it seems other programs don't work either. Tried VLC and it says that it's "not a valid win32 application."
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 9:21:41 AM

tonystix said:

Download the latest version. If you have the 64-bit version of Windows-7 installed then you can run all 32-bit programs without problems thanks to WoW64. The only thing you can't run is something with 16-bit code, basically trying to run to access the old compatibility DLLs from the Windows 3.0 -> 98 era. MS has removed all legacy code from the 64-bit kernel but left that code in the 32 bit kernel.
m
l
March 7, 2012 11:26:16 AM

agree with palladin9479

If you have installed windows 7 64 bit to utilize more RAM, u can still go for 32 bit windows 7 as there is a kernel patch available which makes the entire RAM usable.

Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8iat68yS5s

It unlocks the kernel to use the entire RAM available. Windows server 2003 datacenter edition 32 bit allows upto 64 gb of RAM by default. But Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit locks this feature in the kernel.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523(WS.10).aspx

So u will also be able to run old 16 bit applications as well.
m
l
March 7, 2012 11:47:45 AM

thanks for the suggestions :) 
I'll have to wait till friday before I can touch the pc again.
I'll update you on the progress on friday.
m
l
March 7, 2012 12:29:21 PM

avimanyu786 said:
agree with palladin9479

If you have installed windows 7 64 bit to utilize more RAM, u can still go for 32 bit windows 7 as there is a kernel patch available which makes the entire RAM usable.

Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8iat68yS5s

It unlocks the kernel to use the entire RAM available. Windows server 2003 datacenter edition 32 bit allows upto 64 gb of RAM by default. But Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit locks this feature in the kernel.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523(WS.10).aspx

So u will also be able to run old 16 bit applications as well.

That requires your board support Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode addressing. A 32-bit CPU / OS can only handle memory address's no more then 32 bits long. It's a limitation in the register size in the code being used. So a 32-bit OS could never directly address more then 4GB (2^32) of memory. What PAE does is setup a paging table and paging space near the 4GB boundary. This space is used by the MMU to dynamically remap memory address's. Thus the 32-bit OS can address memory above the 4GB boundary by having the MMU map it to a region under the 4GB boundary.

There is a performance hit when you do this, it takes additional steps to map and unmap memory regions from that table space. Some applications and drivers really do not like having their data / code residing in memory above the 4GB boundary. Unless your App / Driver is certified to work with PAE I wouldn't suggest it.
m
l
March 7, 2012 12:56:12 PM

Have you made sure you've done all your windows updates? This doesn't sound like a normal problem to me.
m
l
March 8, 2012 3:56:41 AM

palladin9479 said:
That requires your board support Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode addressing. A 32-bit CPU / OS can only handle memory address's no more then 32 bits long. It's a limitation in the register size in the code being used. So a 32-bit OS could never directly address more then 4GB (2^32) of memory. What PAE does is setup a paging table and paging space near the 4GB boundary. This space is used by the MMU to dynamically remap memory address's. Thus the 32-bit OS can address memory above the 4GB boundary by having the MMU map it to a region under the 4GB boundary.

There is a performance hit when you do this, it takes additional steps to map and unmap memory regions from that table space. Some applications and drivers really do not like having their data / code residing in memory above the 4GB boundary. Unless your App / Driver is certified to work with PAE I wouldn't suggest it.

yes but I was talking about testing this on a 32 bit os for a 64 bit cpu. I've read that vmware running on a 32 bit os with a 64 bit cpu can run 64 bit os vms.

This statement in the site http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523%28W... is conditioned under what u said. So this won't be true if the board does not support PAE.

"Hardware Specifications

64-GB RAM Maximum(4)

RAM facilitates improved system scalability and performance. The more RAM added to a server beyond minimum requirements, the more memory available for applications to use. Designed for mission-critical applications, the 32-bit version of Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports up to 64 GB of RAM on x86-based computers. The 64-bit version of Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports systems with up to 64 GB of RAM."

m
l
March 8, 2012 10:56:45 AM

That's with PAE.

In short, there is absolutely no way possible for a 32-bit register to hold a memory address longer then 32-bits. It's not possible to do any computations or logical compares on an address not in a register.
m
l
March 9, 2012 6:08:08 AM

Thanks for the knowledge share palladin9479 :) 
m
l
!