Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Radeon 8000 series

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 5, 2012 3:05:43 AM

I'm building a high end gaming computer and the last part I need to order is the video card (budget $450, Radeon 7970 Ghz) and I was wondering when the new video cards would come out and if I should wait. I'm willing to wait about a month and I want to know if it will even be worth it to wait. In other words:
When do they come out? (speculation, as close as you can guess)
Can I get a $450 8000 series on launch day that will be more powerful than a current $450 card?

More about : radeon 8000 series

December 5, 2012 3:13:26 AM

1. They should come out around may 2013.
2. Of course they will be faster but the chances are not that much and the prices will be kinda high for a few months after they come out.
3. Get a 7970, try this.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:19:44 AM

melikepie said:
1. They should come out around may 2013.
2. Of course they will be faster but the chances are not that much and the prices will be kinda high for a few months after they come out.
3. Get a 7970, try this.


MAY?!! Where did you get that news? AMD typically release at the end of the year/start of next year, although prices will be very high because no other cards could compete with them.

2. Well considering a 7970 is like two 6950's, I would assume that an 8970 would be two 7950's.

3. I don't agree with that card, only single link DVI's, won't be compatible with those Korean IPS 2560x1440 panels, sort of restricting there.

I would go for this 7970:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheaper, I think same clocks, better cooler, and quieter.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 3:23:03 AM

JJ1217 said:
MAY?!! Where did you get that news? AMD typically release at the end of the year/start of next year, although prices will be very high because no other cards could compete with them.

2. Well considering a 7970 is like two 6950's, I would assume that an 8970 would be two 7950's.

3. I don't agree with that card, only single link DVI's, won't be compatible with those Korean IPS 2560x1440 panels, sort of restricting there.

I would go for this 7970:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheaper, I think same clocks, better cooler, and quieter.

The one I put has a much better clock then that, and it's great for overclocking.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:30:57 AM

JJ1217 said:
MAY?!! Where did you get that news? AMD typically release at the end of the year/start of next year, although prices will be very high because no other cards could compete with them.

2. Well considering a 7970 is like two 6950's, I would assume that an 8970 would be two 7950's.

3. I don't agree with that card, only single link DVI's, won't be compatible with those Korean IPS 2560x1440 panels, sort of restricting there.

I would go for this 7970:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheaper, I think same clocks, better cooler, and quieter.

http://www.techpowerup.com/176568/Probable-Radeon-HD-80...

Q2 2013, meaning April - June
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 3:40:17 AM

esrever said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/176568/Probable-Radeon-HD-80...

Q2 2013, meaning April - June


Ooh. Looks interesting, looks like I might have to wait longer for a new card, my 7850 is gonna get crushed when I move to 2560x1440 later this year :( 

Also, had a look about the differences between the Lightning 7970 and the Vapor-X one. Its like a 20 Mhz Core clock difference, something that could be added with a click of a button, with no voltage change.

EDIT: The article seems a little off as well, and you can see people pointing holes in the comments section.. I dunno seems kind of dodgy to trust that article.
m
0
l
a c 132 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 4:14:13 AM

If AMD follow the same timeline as this generation, the 8900 series should release in January, with the rest of the line releasing through to March-ish.
m
0
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 4:18:07 AM

JJ1217 said:
MAY?!! Where did you get that news? AMD typically release at the end of the year/start of next year, although prices will be very high because no other cards could compete with them.

2. Well considering a 7970 is like two 6950's, I would assume that an 8970 would be two 7950's.

3. I don't agree with that card, only single link DVI's, won't be compatible with those Korean IPS 2560x1440 panels, sort of restricting there.

I would go for this 7970:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cheaper, I think same clocks, better cooler, and quieter.



to answer #2, no. the reason for the performance gap between the 6000 and 7000 carads is due to an architecture change. the 8k series is still GCN, its just optimized GCN, so its more closer to relation from 5k series to 6k series or the fermi 400 series to the fermi 500 series.
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 6:31:52 PM

Yeah, I'm getting the vapor-x
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 6:45:31 PM

Its going to be interesting to see what Nvidia do bring to the table.
What with self imposed memory bus restrictions on some cards, process improvements and a power envelope that they can push should they want or need to, its pretty easy for them to cover a release increase from AMD in line with the performance increase that they achieved from the 6 series to the 7 series.
Then as the article reports they have the GK110 waiting in the wings.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 6:50:53 PM

Yeah it would be nuts to buy a Radeon 8000 series GPU before the GTX700 series launch. Even if you have no intention of buying a GeForce regardless of spec (which is silly, but some people are that way inclined), 8000 series prices will drop like a stone as soon as they have some next-gen competition. AMD are gonna need something a hell of a lot better than morphological AA in the new cards if they're compete with TXAA and FXAA...
m
0
l
a c 148 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 10:36:45 PM

dudewitbow said:
to answer #2, no. the reason for the performance gap between the 6000 and 7000 carads is due to an architecture change. the 8k series is still GCN, its just optimized GCN, so its more closer to relation from 5k series to 6k series or the fermi 400 series to the fermi 500 series.


plus the HD8k series also still on 28nm node. of course you can add more transistor to the die to increase performance but with the same node the power consumption will also rise. i already heard about the next radeon flagship will have 2500+ SP. with 7970 (around 2000 SP) their card already have 250w TDP. i wonder what the TDP will for cards with 2500+ SP.

mactronix said:
Its going to be interesting to see what Nvidia do bring to the table.
What with self imposed memory bus restrictions on some cards, process improvements and a power envelope that they can push should they want or need to, its pretty easy for them to cover a release increase from AMD in line with the performance increase that they achieved from the 6 series to the 7 series.
Then as the article reports they have the GK110 waiting in the wings.

Mactronix :) 


with GTX680 it shows nvidia that the lack of compute parts in their geforce line up is not a problem for them to sell their product. so i wonder if they can tweak GK110 specifically for geforce cards with stripping out all the DP stuff from the chip and tune it purely for gaming purpose
m
0
l
a c 89 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 10:42:54 PM

renz496 said:
plus the HD8k series also still on 28nm node. of course you can add more transistor to the die to increase performance but with the same node the power consumption will also rise. i already heard about the next radeon flagship will have 2500+ SP. with 7970 (around 2000 SP) their card already have 250w TDP. i wonder what the TDP will for cards with 2500+ SP.



with GTX680 it shows nvidia that the lack of compute parts in their geforce line up is not a problem for them to sell their product. so i wonder if they can tweak GK110 specifically for geforce cards with stripping out all the DP stuff from the chip and tune it purely for gaming purpose

I think that works both ways, really. AMD might strip down some of the compute stuff on the tahiti chip during upscaling, make it more like the smaller chip thats on the 7800 cards (but a lot bigger :lol:  )

edit
also the tpu article that was linked seems to be full of holes... or so they say :p 
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 10:44:10 PM

Kari said:
I think that works both ways, really. AMD might strip down some of the compute stuff on the tahiti chip during upscaling, make it more like the smaller chip thats on the 7800 cards (but a lot bigger :lol:  )

I still think AMD wins when it comes to GPUs.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 10:39:29 AM

renz496 said:
plus the HD8k series also still on 28nm node. of course you can add more transistor to the die to increase performance but with the same node the power consumption will also rise. i already heard about the next radeon flagship will have 2500+ SP. with 7970 (around 2000 SP) their card already have 250w TDP. i wonder what the TDP will for cards with 2500+ SP.



with GTX680 it shows nvidia that the lack of compute parts in their geforce line up is not a problem for them to sell their product. so i wonder if they can tweak GK110 specifically for geforce cards with stripping out all the DP stuff from the chip and tune it purely for gaming purpose



Seems logical, they have done this before of course. Back then it was a case of chasing the power draw down to acceptable levels. Even if they find they don't need to do that this time around I would expect them to strip it out to some extent for the consumer market gaming cards anyway.

Mactronix :) 
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 8:07:00 PM

Are these prices accurate though....?

You would think that it would be the opposite and be much more expensive, considering it will be an unchallenged new generations of cards until the GTX700 series is released
m
0
l
a c 148 U Graphics card
December 13, 2012 10:58:49 PM

anything can change before the actual launch so take it with grain of salt. btw based on the rumors so far the HD8000 series will launch around late Q1 or Q2. nvidia also expected to launch their next gen around that time period so the price might get competitive from the very start for both brand
m
0
l
a c 148 U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 3:11:07 AM

7990? amd simply gave up making one. they give their partners the freedom how they want to make it and give the permission to call their dual 7970 on a board solution as 7990
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 3:30:03 AM

MAY? I guess somewhere in feb..
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 5:24:14 AM

Powercolor makes one...for $899!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 5:36:00 AM

maxicusdagreat said:
Powercolor makes one...for $899!


That isn't an official 7990, same with HIS' one.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 4:07:14 PM

JJ1217 said:
That isn't an official 7990, same with HIS' one.


That's true. It's really not worth the cost. For $1600 you can build an overclocking wizard with an i5, and a XFX 7970 crossfire. Now that's worth it.
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 2:19:44 PM

Corvallis5 said:
I'm building a high end gaming computer and the last part I need to order is the video card (budget $450, Radeon 7970 Ghz) and I was wondering when the new video cards would come out and if I should wait. I'm willing to wait about a month and I want to know if it will even be worth it to wait. In other words:
When do they come out? (speculation, as close as you can guess)
Can I get a $450 8000 series on launch day that will be more powerful than a current $450 card?


I would go for a temporary card like a 6850 or something used that you can get a good deal on, then get the newly released card :D 
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 2:27:30 PM

melikepie said:
I still think AMD wins when it comes to GPUs.


They are head to head, but when the 6000 series was out nivida was clearly better, but now with their 7000 series they have stepped their game up..
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 5:01:06 PM

namdude0373 said:
They are head to head, but when the 6000 series was out nivida was clearly better, but now with their 7000 series they have stepped their game up..

read tom's best graphics card for your money from that time and say how ahead nvidia was when the 6000 were out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:35:55 PM

namdude0373 said:
I am referring to performance, not bang for your buck

unless you were buying the 580 itself. AMD provided more performance at every price point. Absolute performance from 1 card is pretty pointless.
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 2:16:02 AM

2921262,29,1071176 said:
unless you were buying the 580 itself. AMD provided more performance at every price point. Absolute performance from 1 card is pretty pointless.[/quotems

AMD is a better mid range card, but at the time the 580 was the best single card. Now the 7970 and the 680 are head to head.
m
0
l
!