First Build in few months, have some questions.

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys, i've been on this forum before, and have stalked this forum for months and months, and want to build a computer for myself, and after doing alot of research into computers over the last few years, and in a few months i will be hopefully building my first computer.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: 2-4 months.

Budget Range: USD:$1000-1200 after rebates and shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Streaming ( Netflix etc ) internet usage etc

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: brand new build.

Do you need to buy OS: No, My father has a window's 7 ultimate retail, unopened still.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: pcpartpicker is fine, as long as the sites won't screw me over if somthing is DOA or something.

Location: City, State/Region, Country - U.S.A - East Coast, No i cannot go to a microcenter, about.. 80 miles out. not worth the gas or time.

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Nvidia and Intel.

Overclocking: I have done very little research into it, i have some questions about it but cannot seem to find the answer i am looking for anywhere.

SLI or Crossfire: In the future ( 1-4 years out to expand the life of my system )

Your Monitor Resolution:1080p

Additional Comments: I have a PCpartpicker link

the games i will be playing: Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 3, Call of duty , Arma 2 or 3 cant remember , Tera Online. lots of games!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yuH7

over the years i have done massive research into computer hardware. so if there is somthing worng or.. that will clash with my system feel free to pick it apart, i know amd cpu's are not good for gaming atm. and i do like nvidia very much,

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Had a nice pc.. in.. uh 09' havnt got into pc gaming since then. i miss it.

Yes i did choose a intel core i5 3750K unlocked .. I am not sure what overclocking will do, what are the benefits of doing it, and will it void my motherboard / cpu warranty?

The reason i am getting a unlocked CPU with a Z77 chipset motherboard is that i need and really want my pc to last my 6+ years hopefully.

I have looked at all cooling possibilitys, yes miss spelled. and found the haf 912 is the best for the budget with the 4 pack fans. do i need the fan controller or just get 3/4 pin y cables?

sorry for it being so long, and i know that i am not buying this computer for a few months out, but.. it's keeping me awake at night! thinking... him.. 660ti or 670.. do i need the unlocked cpu?.. him that PSU is probley way to big.. if you can see my point :D thanks all! oh.. do i really need all those fans? :)

Solution
modular is king, less cables. less clother and better airflow.

keep the model i recommanded good price for power :)

well i dunno id say the pc can last 7 years but for gaming 3 years 3.5years would be modest because theres always new games coming out with new powerful engins.

ull be fine to sli in a year. gonna give it a boost down the road for shur, gonna extend ur pc garateed.

no problem but for ur best bang for bucks atm its the 7950 since it can be overclocked to 7970 levels that outpast the 500$ gtx 680.

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
through the reviews i have read and videos of cooler master 912, i just love it, wish it was black inside , but i can spray paint that later on, and with the window, but ive read that rosewill psu's arn't any good? same with the caviar blue hdds? i thought seagate was better than WD atm? and thought that you can't use the full amount of 16gbs of ram through gaming but only 8? is that true? and what about fans though.. i cannot find anything anywhere about fan set up, i know say i put three intake and only 2 out take fans, thats bad, you want 3 intake and 3 outtake right? but do i need that many fans? and what are the benefits of overclocking and does it increase FPS in games? thats what i asked in my first post but you just gave me a list of parts.. thanks though! but i need answers to my questions, and if the parts i chose in my link are good?

change the case to 912. rosewill powrsupplys are decent depends on model.

16gigs will future proof u for next generation games, and gives u more freedom when multitasking. also overclocking will help out with a few fps here and there. and does make a difference overall system speed.

the 912 comes with a few fans should be good, u can always add some later on.

also seagate is just as good as western digital. depends on what models we compare.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yvgK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yvgK/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yvgK/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Green 630W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH232H 23.0" Monitor ($144.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($44.53 @ Amazon)
Total: $1100.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-19 22:02 EST-0500)

Base Total: $1158.43
Promo Discounts: -$10.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Shipping: $11.98
Total: $1130.41

that should do it.

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Alright, so the two 120mm fans will do even with overclocking?
and one the the questions i had asked that with overclocking, with it void any warrantys, aka mobo/cpu/gpu/ram/psu?
i have never overclocked in my life, the pc i have now was made in 07, bought from dell outlet in.. hmm.. lol thats uh.. 2010?2011? its either 2 or 3 years old since ive had it. good ol' pentium 4 HT 2.8 ghz.. lol. i have never touched any pc hardware besides ones that are like nearly a decade old. but i want a pc that can and it will last at least i mean at least 5-6 years before have to rebuild it, as in replace GPU/PSU. in a year or two i will add in a second GPU and go SLI to increase lifespan and fps etc. its just the overclocking and fans i am worried about, is it worth that extra money? and ive read that people got like 4.5 ghz and it didn't do much besides overheat their system. ive read that overclocking decreases lifespan of the pc im worried about that. puting over a grand into a pc is alot of money and i dont wanna fry the darn thing lol.
thanks much i know i am asking you, and the forum alot of questions, but i did proper research before asking anything here tonight, if i cant find what i am looking for i ask and see if you or somone could provide me the information i am asking for.
much thanks to you for you time and help, if you have any more answers to my questions much much thanks!

it doesnt void any of those warrantys.

the motherboard i got u have true sli. any board cheaper than this has lesser quality parts for overclocking and doesnt have tru sli ready capacities.

well overclocking may kill long term life but most likely u will change ur cpu before it dies, and when cooled right wont kill it. its all about cooling the cpu right, heat is the enemy not overclocking it.

also u can add a sli or crossfire, well crossfire in this case down the road.

i got u a good cooler that will get u to 4.2 smoothly atleast anything beyond might require more cooling but can always be changed.

if u got a bit more money i can recommand a closed water cooling system for a bit more.

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Alright, Uh no sadly i did want a corsair H50/60/80/100 any of those but.. maybe down the road at some point hopfully. ive waited a very long time to get back into pc gaming and in a few months i will be able to, 16gbs of ram could wait, and reduce the price in half because i have fans and sata cables and a side panel/controller to buy with thermal compound/grease/paste what ever its called lol.. plus anti static strap.. i forgot that.. crap..
so change the cooler master 212 plus to evo.. and its better, i do want a push pull config then. main reason i want a unlocked CPU and z77 chip set, so like in two years when the PC might not be able to keep up with modern games i can over clock or somthing, i am just trying to get the most bang for my buck. thanks much.

so fan set up in cooler master haf 912 computer case.
2x120mm fans in front
2x120mm fans on top
1x 120mm rear
1x140mm side.
and 2 x 120mm sides on the CM 212 evo CPU cooler for push pull, and get a five channel fan controller 20 watts per channel. i was thinkin.. control the 2 front the 2 top and the side myself and let bios/pc control the CPU cooler? or should the bios/pc control everything?.. or should the computer control me instead of my controlling it?!?!
thanks!

EDIT: uh.. my brother has a external dvd / cd writer and rom etc. i could just plug that in to install windows right? that would save me some money towards some sickleflow 120mm fans from cooler master? or i could * borrow * the sata cd drive out of my dell optiplex gx520 desktop the one im typing on right now and plug that in and install windows, because the CM haf 912 has a mes 5.25 drive bay for more air flow and that optical drive could restrict airflow?

sounds good, im no expert in fan setup, but sounds like a plan.

id recommand a dvddrive for regular usage. only 20$.

and for windows installation id trust more a standard dvd-rom drive than an external.

optical drives dont restrict airflow. thats just silly.

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
alrighty thank you much for all your help! i will get the dvd drive then.
one last question, can i control any type of fan even if they NOT PWM type fans inside a fan controller? because im getting
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103052
and a 140mm side
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233036
was wondering if any type of fan can be controller via fan controller.
i will replace all the fans but the 140mm with cooler master sickleflow fans when i have the budget for them.
thanks much!

EDIT: wont replace with sickleflow, prob with better fans in near future- 5-6+ months after my pc is bought and put together

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well i do have 2 other questions ,
i heard on this forums, that the 670 GPU only has like 10 more FPS than the 660ti is that correct?
and is
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
better than
Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 1.75g Premium Ceramic, Polysynthetic thermal compound AA-1.75G
for 6 more dollors? thats well.. pretty much all i can really think of. oh and if you have any good known power supply units that are fully modular and 80 plus gold rated like 750 watts? because i need extra head room for the future for a second 660ti in sli in a year or so, and for overclocking.
much thanks for your time, help. and experience!

EDIT: i know that, seasonic / corsair / antec and XFX are the best PSU brands.

kilo two nine

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

oh ok. so i don't need gold thats great to know, so. modular or non modular. i think theres 3/4 of an inch clearance behind the motherboard tray on the haf 912, so if i go non modular i could tuck the cables behind there?

but if it doesnt fit behind there i'd have to put it into the bottom most HDD rack and then the 660ti my not fit with the top HDD rack. i could get a non modular PSU and save costs.. and upgrade the GPU or get better fans.

so other than the PSU question i think i have pretty much one last question for you,

if in a year or so if i go SLI with two 660ti's and 2 years or so go with an i7 how long would this computer last in future proof? i really need it to last long as possible before new video card is needed... what do you think 7 years?

thanks much! i know i've asked alot of question's and bugged you quite a bit and i am sorry about that, but you have helped me in such a great deal i can not thank you enough, and i have learned quite a bit.

I am a uh.. dont want to be a fanboyism war or troll but i really do perfer nvidia, but i am going to go through prices and benchmarks via nvidia / amd and really think hard.
thank you again!

modular is king, less cables. less clother and better airflow.

keep the model i recommanded good price for power :)

well i dunno id say the pc can last 7 years but for gaming 3 years 3.5years would be modest because theres always new games coming out with new powerful engins.

ull be fine to sli in a year. gonna give it a boost down the road for shur, gonna extend ur pc garateed.

no problem but for ur best bang for bucks atm its the 7950 since it can be overclocked to 7970 levels that outpast the 500$ gtx 680.

Solution