6230, PC software, Bluetooth...??

Last response: in Brands
Share
March 25, 2005 12:06:09 AM

Greetings!

I know a bit about computers, not much about cellphones, and nothing
about bluetooth! :-)
I just bought a Nokia 6230, which works fine as a telephone so far and
takes pictures that seem to look OK at least on the phone screen since
I've been unable to transfer them to my computer.
These two uses are essentially why I got the phone.
I know (?) how to install software and installed the software that came
on a disc with the phone (PC Suite or PC Sync or some such).
I also bought a Sitecom CN-500 Bluetooth USB adapter (a "dongle" I
understand it's called).
All software appear to have installed OK, at least it says so, the phone
works with bluetooth enabled on it (the little black ball between two
brackets in the top left hand corner of the phone screen is on)...
yet the bluetooth icon on the desktop or the taskbar, when clicked
(right or left click, single or double) finds nothing and does nothing.
The Nokia PC software opens up, but no phone is recognized.
The "dongle" blinks green invitingly.
As of now, I have uninstalled both Nokia soft and Bluetooth soft.
And that's all she wrote.

I only want to be able to tranfer photos taken with the phone onto my
computer for treatment and emailing from my computer email client.
Nothing else.
No mini-messages, no sending pix via the phone to another phone, no
emailing directly via the phone... ONLY FROM PHONE TO COMPUTER.

Now, my question to you wizards is simpler than you think:
-in what order should I install the software?
-PC software first then Bluetooth, or the other way around?
-Or does that have no bearing?
And then comes the good one:
-Any suggestions as to what I should do? Where to go on the net to find
an answer? Whom to ask?

Thank a million for any suggestions
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:06:10 AM

If you are using Windows XP with service pack 2 installed., that
might be the problem....it was for me....other than that, I don't
know....

Skraag

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:06:09 +0100, Michel <user@example.net> wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>I know a bit about computers, not much about cellphones, and nothing
>about bluetooth! :-)
>I just bought a Nokia 6230, which works fine as a telephone so far and
>takes pictures that seem to look OK at least on the phone screen since
>I've been unable to transfer them to my computer.
>These two uses are essentially why I got the phone.
>I know (?) how to install software and installed the software that came
>on a disc with the phone (PC Suite or PC Sync or some such).
>I also bought a Sitecom CN-500 Bluetooth USB adapter (a "dongle" I
>understand it's called).
>All software appear to have installed OK, at least it says so, the phone
>works with bluetooth enabled on it (the little black ball between two
>brackets in the top left hand corner of the phone screen is on)...
>yet the bluetooth icon on the desktop or the taskbar, when clicked
>(right or left click, single or double) finds nothing and does nothing.
>The Nokia PC software opens up, but no phone is recognized.
>The "dongle" blinks green invitingly.
>As of now, I have uninstalled both Nokia soft and Bluetooth soft.
>And that's all she wrote.
>
>I only want to be able to tranfer photos taken with the phone onto my
>computer for treatment and emailing from my computer email client.
>Nothing else.
>No mini-messages, no sending pix via the phone to another phone, no
>emailing directly via the phone... ONLY FROM PHONE TO COMPUTER.
>
>Now, my question to you wizards is simpler than you think:
>-in what order should I install the software?
>-PC software first then Bluetooth, or the other way around?
>-Or does that have no bearing?
>And then comes the good one:
>-Any suggestions as to what I should do? Where to go on the net to find
>an answer? Whom to ask?
>
>Thank a million for any suggestions
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:19:19 AM

Blimey Michael.

Do you want someone to come round and do it for you? :-)

(only joking)

To make it VERY simple. Buy a card reader. Job done :-)

Bluetooth transfer to your pc will NOT be as quick as exchanging files
(pictures) to/from your pc. That's the good side. :-)
To transfer files with the card reader, you'll need to remove the card from
your phone, and insert the card into your reader/writer. That's the bad
side. :-(

Card readers now are so cheap, and as stated the file transfer would be much
quicker.

An alternative?? Buy a data cable, then simply plug into the bottom of your
phone, and off you go.

Trust this may help.

Cheers

"Michel" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I know a bit about computers, not much about cellphones, and nothing
> about bluetooth! :-)
> I just bought a Nokia 6230, which works fine as a telephone so far and
> takes pictures that seem to look OK at least on the phone screen since
> I've been unable to transfer them to my computer.
> These two uses are essentially why I got the phone.
> I know (?) how to install software and installed the software that came
> on a disc with the phone (PC Suite or PC Sync or some such).
> I also bought a Sitecom CN-500 Bluetooth USB adapter (a "dongle" I
> understand it's called).
> All software appear to have installed OK, at least it says so, the phone
> works with bluetooth enabled on it (the little black ball between two
> brackets in the top left hand corner of the phone screen is on)...
> yet the bluetooth icon on the desktop or the taskbar, when clicked
> (right or left click, single or double) finds nothing and does nothing.
> The Nokia PC software opens up, but no phone is recognized.
> The "dongle" blinks green invitingly.
> As of now, I have uninstalled both Nokia soft and Bluetooth soft.
> And that's all she wrote.
>
> I only want to be able to tranfer photos taken with the phone onto my
> computer for treatment and emailing from my computer email client.
> Nothing else.
> No mini-messages, no sending pix via the phone to another phone, no
> emailing directly via the phone... ONLY FROM PHONE TO COMPUTER.
>
> Now, my question to you wizards is simpler than you think:
> -in what order should I install the software?
> -PC software first then Bluetooth, or the other way around?
> -Or does that have no bearing?
> And then comes the good one:
> -Any suggestions as to what I should do? Where to go on the net to find
> an answer? Whom to ask?
>
> Thank a million for any suggestions
March 25, 2005 3:44:33 AM

Since you already have the dongle you should try to get it to work. I have
the same phone and have successfully transfered pictures and mp3. That
doesn't mean that it was simple. I purchased the linksys bluetooth dongle
and installed that prior to the nokia suite. I think that the suite needed
to recognize that there was bluetooth present on the computer. I then had
to tinker alot with both the nokia software and the bluetooth software that
came with the dongle. It wasn't easy and I cannot always make the software
work. The important thing is to have the 2 bluetooth devices (your computer
via the dongle and the 6230)pair with each other which can be difficult.
Sometimes you have to disconnect the dongle and then reconnect it for it too
see your phone and computer. You just have to keep at it and you should try
to connect using the software provided for the dongle first. Make sure you
have names for your devices. All I can say is good luck and keep trying
cause the back panel on that phone is way too flimsy to be openning up
constantly.

"Michel" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I know a bit about computers, not much about cellphones, and nothing
> about bluetooth! :-)
> I just bought a Nokia 6230, which works fine as a telephone so far and
> takes pictures that seem to look OK at least on the phone screen since
> I've been unable to transfer them to my computer.
> These two uses are essentially why I got the phone.
> I know (?) how to install software and installed the software that came
> on a disc with the phone (PC Suite or PC Sync or some such).
> I also bought a Sitecom CN-500 Bluetooth USB adapter (a "dongle" I
> understand it's called).
> All software appear to have installed OK, at least it says so, the phone
> works with bluetooth enabled on it (the little black ball between two
> brackets in the top left hand corner of the phone screen is on)...
> yet the bluetooth icon on the desktop or the taskbar, when clicked
> (right or left click, single or double) finds nothing and does nothing.
> The Nokia PC software opens up, but no phone is recognized.
> The "dongle" blinks green invitingly.
> As of now, I have uninstalled both Nokia soft and Bluetooth soft.
> And that's all she wrote.
>
> I only want to be able to tranfer photos taken with the phone onto my
> computer for treatment and emailing from my computer email client.
> Nothing else.
> No mini-messages, no sending pix via the phone to another phone, no
> emailing directly via the phone... ONLY FROM PHONE TO COMPUTER.
>
> Now, my question to you wizards is simpler than you think:
> -in what order should I install the software?
> -PC software first then Bluetooth, or the other way around?
> -Or does that have no bearing?
> And then comes the good one:
> -Any suggestions as to what I should do? Where to go on the net to find
> an answer? Whom to ask?
>
> Thank a million for any suggestions

March 25, 2005 4:44:12 AM

That's right there was an issue with service pack 2. Linksys has a fix on
their site for that but I seem to recall it was just about accepting a non
certified software install.

"Michel" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I know a bit about computers, not much about cellphones, and nothing
> about bluetooth! :-)
> I just bought a Nokia 6230, which works fine as a telephone so far and
> takes pictures that seem to look OK at least on the phone screen since
> I've been unable to transfer them to my computer.
> These two uses are essentially why I got the phone.
> I know (?) how to install software and installed the software that came
> on a disc with the phone (PC Suite or PC Sync or some such).
> I also bought a Sitecom CN-500 Bluetooth USB adapter (a "dongle" I
> understand it's called).
> All software appear to have installed OK, at least it says so, the phone
> works with bluetooth enabled on it (the little black ball between two
> brackets in the top left hand corner of the phone screen is on)...
> yet the bluetooth icon on the desktop or the taskbar, when clicked
> (right or left click, single or double) finds nothing and does nothing.
> The Nokia PC software opens up, but no phone is recognized.
> The "dongle" blinks green invitingly.
> As of now, I have uninstalled both Nokia soft and Bluetooth soft.
> And that's all she wrote.
>
> I only want to be able to tranfer photos taken with the phone onto my
> computer for treatment and emailing from my computer email client.
> Nothing else.
> No mini-messages, no sending pix via the phone to another phone, no
> emailing directly via the phone... ONLY FROM PHONE TO COMPUTER.
>
> Now, my question to you wizards is simpler than you think:
> -in what order should I install the software?
> -PC software first then Bluetooth, or the other way around?
> -Or does that have no bearing?
> And then comes the good one:
> -Any suggestions as to what I should do? Where to go on the net to find
> an answer? Whom to ask?
>
> Thank a million for any suggestions

March 25, 2005 11:06:47 AM

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in
news:D 1vle5$9va$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Blimey Michael.
>
> Do you want someone to come round and do it for you? :-)

Oh, would you?? I didn't dare ask for that, but since you so kindly
offer to come over to the house and do it for me... :-)
I'll have drinks and snacks ready! Everybody's invited!!!!

> (only joking)

(as well!!)

> To make it VERY simple. Buy a card reader. Job done :-)
>
> Bluetooth transfer to your pc will NOT be as quick as exchanging files
> (pictures) to/from your pc. That's the good side. :-)
> To transfer files with the card reader, you'll need to remove the card
> from your phone, and insert the card into your reader/writer. That's
> the bad side. :-(

That's seems a little convoluted, removing the card from the phone
everytime. Also, I bought this BT dongle so I might as well try to get
that to work...
And speed of transfer is not paramount. I just want it to transfer,
period. Now, I hope you don't mean that a 100K .jpg will take hours to
tranfer???!!!

> Card readers now are so cheap, and as stated the file transfer would
> be much quicker.

A back-up option if all else fails. Thanks for the suggestion!! :-)

> An alternative?? Buy a data cable, then simply plug into the bottom of
> your phone, and off you go.

Is there a data out socket on a 6230?????

> Trust this may help.

Thanks Kevin! :-)
March 25, 2005 11:08:31 AM

massey53@yahoo.com wrote in news:hcn641t21ql1rosqmdiuno2erkr9pknbfi@
4ax.com:

> If you are using Windows XP with service pack 2 installed., that
> might be the problem....it was for me....other than that, I don't
> know....

Win2K, sp4, well maintained, clean and trim, works dandy with everything
else.....
March 25, 2005 11:22:28 AM

"ALW" <andyw@email.com> wrote in

> ...... I purchased the linksys
> bluetooth dongle and installed that prior to the nokia suite. I think
> that the suite needed to recognize that there was bluetooth present on
> the computer.

Ah, that's what I needed to know. Thanks.
Now whether it'll do the trick is another story, as you can imagine...
:-)
I'll try that tonight when I get home from work.

> I then had to tinker alot with both the nokia software
> and the bluetooth software that came with the dongle. It wasn't easy
> and I cannot always make the software work. The important thing is to
> have the 2 bluetooth devices (your computer via the dongle and the
> 6230)pair with each other which can be difficult.

When and if that happens, are you saying that the tinkering may need to
be repeated? In other words, if it works on Monday, there's no guarantee
it'll work when I restart my machine on Tuesday???...

> Sometimes you have
> to disconnect the dongle and then reconnect it for it too see your
> phone and computer. You just have to keep at it and you should try
> to connect using the software provided for the dongle first.

So, install BT first, then the Nokia software suite, but use BT's soft
to establish the link/connection?

> Make
> sure you have names for your devices.

The BT icon in the task bar had "named" my computer (using the Win2k
name for my C: drive) so it seems that part went OK.
How do I "name" the phone? Under Blue Tooth Parameter (on the 6230 menu
list) there are two headings: visibility, set to visible by all; and
name of telephone, which I cleverly set to "Nokia6230" :-) . Is that OK
and what you meant by having "names" for my devices?

> All I can say is good luck and
> keep trying cause the back panel on that phone is way too flimsy to be
> openning up constantly.

Thanks a lot Andy, I'll keep at it and report my success (!!!) here!
March 25, 2005 11:25:32 AM

"ALW" <andyw@email.com> wrote in

> That's right there was an issue with service pack 2. Linksys has a
> fix on their site for that but I seem to recall it was just about
> accepting a non certified software install.

Shouldn't be an issue for me as I run Win2000, sp4.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:52:32 AM

Back to my original post....

Buy a data cable or Card reader :-)

I too bought a BT dongle, was having similar set up problems, so chose to
use the other alternatives.

Good luck Michael..

"Michel" <michel@michel.net> wrote in message
> "ALW" <andyw@email.com> wrote in
>
> > That's right there was an issue with service pack 2. Linksys has a
> > fix on their site for that but I seem to recall it was just about
> > accepting a non certified software install.
>
> Shouldn't be an issue for me as I run Win2000, sp4.
March 25, 2005 2:20:42 PM

Kevin I Chapple wrote:
> Back to my original post....
>
> Buy a data cable or Card reader :-)

But I fail to see a data-out socket anywhere on the 6230.
Is it hidden somewhere? The manual doesn't seem to mention one?
Am I missing something? :-)
Thanks for your time and replies!! :-)
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:30:17 PM

Just had my 6230 for a month or so and have been experimenting with
bluetooth. PC has XP SP2 and had trouble with Nokia suite that came with the
phone. 6.1 I think it was. Any file bigger than a few K long and BT gave up.
Even though my phone is new, its firmware is pretty old too. Like everything
else, download the latest off the net if you can.

I downloaded the latest PC suite 6.4.1 I think it is off the Nokia site and
all is well for file transfers.

Dongle is a cheapy Newtek for £15 and it seems great. Just filled the 32 meg
MMC card with MP3s no bother. Now when it comes to that 2 gig card I fancy,
that might be another thing altogether.

We have a few oscilloscopes on bluetooth for screen printing at work that
use Win2000 and XP as their OS and walking into the place is great when all
the BT nodes pair up automatically on the 6230. Friends 6630 has real
trouble doing the same so stick with the 6230

steve b

Durham

"Michel" <proximages.sofitel@pas-spam.wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>> Back to my original post....
>>
>> Buy a data cable or Card reader :-)
>
> But I fail to see a data-out socket anywhere on the 6230.
> Is it hidden somewhere? The manual doesn't seem to mention one?
> Am I missing something? :-)
> Thanks for your time and replies!! :-)
March 25, 2005 4:37:39 PM

Steve Bell wrote:
> Even though my phone is new, its firmware is pretty old too. Like everything
> else, download the latest off the net if you can.
>
> I downloaded the latest PC suite 6.4.1 I think it is off the Nokia site and
> all is well for file transfers.

I will D/L the latest PC Suite, as well as the latest firmware.
BTW, the firmware installed right now is the 4.44. Is there a newer one?
As "newer" doesn't necessarily mean "better", do you all recommend
updating to the latest version, or should I stay with 4.44??

> steve b

Thanks Steve!!!
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:43:57 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:20:42 +0100, Michel
<proximages.sofitel@pas-spam.wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>> Back to my original post....
>>
>> Buy a data cable or Card reader :-)
>
>But I fail to see a data-out socket anywhere on the 6230.
>Is it hidden somewhere? The manual doesn't seem to mention one?
>Am I missing something? :-)
>Thanks for your time and replies!! :-)

Its the multi-pin connector along the bottom of the phone, next to the
power socket. Nokia call it a 'Pop-Port'. Their DKU-2 cable connects
that to a USB socket on a computer.

Chris
March 25, 2005 10:43:58 PM

Chris Blunt wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:20:42 +0100, Michel
> <proximages.sofitel@pas-spam.wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>

>>Kevin I Chapple wrote:
>>
>>>Back to my original post....
>>>
>>>Buy a data cable or Card reader :-)
>>
>>But I fail to see a data-out socket anywhere on the 6230.
>>Is it hidden somewhere? The manual doesn't seem to mention one?
>>Am I missing something? :-)
>>Thanks for your time and replies!! :-)
>

> Its the multi-pin connector along the bottom of the phone, next to the
> power socket. Nokia call it a 'Pop-Port'. Their DKU-2 cable connects
> that to a USB socket on a computer.

<light-bulbs popping up all around me> So it's the same socket into
which I plug my hands-free ear-piece/music "ear-goggles" (as Jimi once
put it)!!!??!!!??!
Yes?????!!
Now it all comes clear (what with all the light-bulbs :-) )
I will make all due attempts at working the BT dongle, and if it all
fails at least I know I have another option!!
</light-bulbs>

> Chris

Thanks Chris! :-)

Michel
March 25, 2005 10:47:56 PM

ALW wrote:
> Since you already have the dongle you should try to get it to work.

Done :-) :-)

> The important thing is to have the 2 bluetooth devices (your computer
> via the dongle and the 6230)pair with each other which can be difficult.

Done :-) :-) ;-)

> Sometimes you have to disconnect the dongle and then reconnect it for it too
> see your phone and computer.

I had to do that in fact. Man, you have been a savior!!! :-)

OK, success of a sort. I have managed to link and pair. Phone and PC see
each other. However, I can NOT transfer photos from phone to PC.
When I opene PC suite, go to file transfer>Gallery>My photos, the file
manager just stays there doing nothing. So I go to the phone, select a
photo>send>via Bluetooth it then ask me if I want to disconnect first.
If I say no, that's as far as things go. If I say yes, it obeys and
disconnect and that's as far as it goes!!!!! What the f******k!!!
What gives?

On a different subject, it would appear synchronization only applies to
Outlook. What happens if one does not wish to use such inferior and
insecure product? I'm an all around Mozilla guy myself and I get the
feeling I'm stuck as far as that's concerned. It's outlook, Lotus or
nothing! Am I right??
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:48:04 PM

Using Win2K w/SP6, I transfer with the IR (infrared port). I haven't
tried BlueTooth, it sounds like a pain. ALL recent (4 years) laptops
will have IR port. It's a piece of cake. Just make sure (a) IR port is
enabled on your laptop (somewhere in Control Panel or perhaps vendor
specific config software) and (b) turn on IR on your phone via
Connectivity option; IR on the phone will turn itself off after a few
minutes of no connection.

What, you don't use a laptop? Many desktop computers actually have IR
port built-in, but they don't supply the external LED that you need.

--
quakeguy
March 25, 2005 10:52:27 PM

Michel wrote:

> OK, success of a sort. I have managed to link and pair. Phone and PC see
> each other. However, I can NOT transfer photos from phone to PC.
> When I opene PC suite, go to file transfer>Gallery>My photos, the file
> manager just stays there doing nothing. So I go to the phone, select a
> photo>send>via Bluetooth it then ask me if I want to disconnect first.
> If I say no, that's as far as things go. If I say yes, it obeys and
> disconnect and that's as far as it goes!!!!! What the f******k!!!
> What gives?

OOppps, never mind. I looked deeper into the PC suite file manager and
found another directory with the photos. Everything's OK!!!
Thanks for all your help!!! :-)
March 26, 2005 1:27:53 AM

quakeguy wrote:
> Using Win2K w/SP6, I transfer with the IR (infrared port). I haven't
> tried BlueTooth, it sounds like a pain. ALL recent (4 years) laptops
> will have IR port. It's a piece of cake. Just make sure (a) IR port is
> enabled on your laptop (somewhere in Control Panel or perhaps vendor
> specific config software) and (b) turn on IR on your phone via
> Connectivity option; IR on the phone will turn itself off after a few
> minutes of no connection.
>
> What, you don't use a laptop? Many desktop computers actually have IR
> port built-in, but they don't supply the external LED that you need.

Thanks, Quake, for the IR suggestion but I have managed to be successful
with my BT connection, as of now. What tomorrow will bring... who
knows???! :-)
However, I'm curious about your Win2k with a Service pack 6.
SP6 (Six)??? Are you sure??? Typo???
Or do you have a special arrangement with Bill G.????
Or am I missing something again??? :-)
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:27:11 PM

"Michel" wrote in message

> I will D/L the latest PC Suite, as well as the latest firmware.
> BTW, the firmware installed right now is the 4.44. Is there a newer one?
> As "newer" doesn't necessarily mean "better", do you all recommend
> updating to the latest version, or should I stay with 4.44??

My 6230 has F/W 4.44 and bluetooth is stable with PC Suite 6.4.1. Checked
with the Nokia site and there aren't any Nokia dealers in my area than can
update the phones f/w so it will have to be a post it job.

btw am I just unlucky or does the 6230 screen scratch easy compared to
earlier Nokias? Mines a right mess after just a few weeks use.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:23:03 AM

Steve, Just a suggestion....

Get a screen protector.

If you can't find one deicated to the 6230, buy a PDA (Palm computer) screen
protector, and cut to shape.

Keeps the screen "like new" (except for in your case, it will keep the
scratches as new! :-) )

Cheers

news:D 26cbc$fj6$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

!