UK electronic retailer Dixons to end 35mm camera sales

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 8, 2005 3:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

From BBC News:

Dixons to end 35mm camera sales:

High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is
to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
cameras.

The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the
current stock of the film cameras runs out.

---

For the complete story, click on this link:

August 8, 2005 4:09:36 PM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> From BBC News:
>
> Dixons to end 35mm camera sales:
>
> High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is
> to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
> cameras.
>
> The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the
> current stock of the film cameras runs out.
>
> ---
>
> For the complete story, click on this link:

Doesn't make any difference here in Wrexham, they closed their shop down
last year.
Regards Mike.
August 8, 2005 4:09:37 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Mike Cawood, HND BIT (me@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

>> High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is
>> to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
>> cameras.

>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm

> Doesn't make any difference here in Wrexham, they closed their shop down
> last year.

Lucky Wrexham.

I can't see it making any difference to anything, anyway. Nobody with a
brain buys ANYTHING from Dixons.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:09:38 PM

Adrian wrote:
> Mike Cawood, HND BIT (me@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much
> like they were saying :
>
>>> High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras,
>>> is to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital
>>> cameras.
>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm
>
>> Doesn't make any difference here in Wrexham, they closed their shop
>> down last year.
>
> Lucky Wrexham.
>
> I can't see it making any difference to anything, anyway. Nobody with
> a brain buys ANYTHING from Dixons.

Agreed, except:

- when they offer the cheapest Freeview box around

or:

- when you can buy from them at duty-free prices (which matched the
Internet prices but offered bricks-and-mortar service, and happened to
prove handy when I needed to have an item repaired under warranty).

David
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:09:38 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Nobody with a > brain bvys ANYTHING from Dixons.

Ahem,
there are some of vs who have to 'bvy' from Dixons.

Had all my kit stolen last year and Norwich Union Direct gave me vovcher for
Dixons. Got agreat deal on my D70 and 1gig cards and 5 year warranty,
(thats if they are still trading ;-( )
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:30:55 PM

In article <Xns96AC7C435C05Aadrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170>,
Adrian <toomany2cvs@gmail.com> wrote:

>I can't see it making any difference to anything, anyway. Nobody with a
>brain buys ANYTHING from Dixons.

Well, quite, In addition to them being very expensive, they're also staffed
almost entirely by spotty youths who don't know anything about what they're
selling, and will try to push a pointless "extended warranty" on you, at
extra cost.

It's the sort of place where you could imagine the "sales assistant" telling
someone that a camera with digital zoom is better, because digital is
obviously better than analogue, or something equally dumb.
August 8, 2005 4:33:32 PM

Chris Brown (cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

>>I can't see it making any difference to anything, anyway. Nobody with
>>a brain buys ANYTHING from Dixons.

> Well, quite, In addition to them being very expensive, they're also
> staffed almost entirely by spotty youths who don't know anything about
> what they're selling, and will try to push a pointless "extended
> warranty" on you, at extra cost.

I do admit to having bought a new Iron from Currys a while ago - John Lewis
had sold out of the one I wanted, yeronner - and the spotty git tried
selling me an extended warranty.

Which cost more than the Iron did.

I resisted temptation.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:08:52 PM

In article <Xns96AC89EDFC302adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170>,
Adrian <toomany2cvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>Chris Brown (cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com) gurgled happily,
>sounding much like they were saying :
>
>>>I can't see it making any difference to anything, anyway. Nobody with
>>>a brain buys ANYTHING from Dixons.
>
>> Well, quite, In addition to them being very expensive, they're also
>> staffed almost entirely by spotty youths who don't know anything about
>> what they're selling, and will try to push a pointless "extended
>> warranty" on you, at extra cost.
>
>I do admit to having bought a new Iron from Currys a while ago - John Lewis
>had sold out of the one I wanted, yeronner - and the spotty git tried
>selling me an extended warranty.

And to drop myself in it, I'll also admit to buying injket cartridges from
PC World, but only because they charge the same as John Lewis and have more
in stock.

They don't try to sell me an extended warranty (on a printer cartridge?),
but do insist on demanding to know if it's for business or personal use. I
tell them "both", just to confuse their system.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:55:23 PM

Chris Brown wrote:

> And to drop myself in it, I'll also admit to buying injket cartridges from
> PC World, but only because they charge the same as John Lewis and have more
> in stock.

So did I till last week when I opened a new magenta and found someone's
empty yellow had been popped inside the box. Their own brand.

Very annoying and not a lot I could do to prove it.

David
August 8, 2005 8:12:33 PM

Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:

>Well, quite, In addition to them being very expensive, they're also staffed
>almost entirely by spotty youths who don't know anything about what they're
>selling, and will try to push a pointless "extended warranty" on you, at
>extra cost.

How true.

Lately, Dixons seem to have been going through a re-merchandising
change, removing all kinds of things e.g. PDAs. Now, they sell almost
nothing useful, except a very small range of digital cameras and
camcorders. Only their airport stores carry anything interesting.

I know this is putting a bit strongly but I think Dixons will go bust
within a year or two. One cannot shrink one's way to success and this
is exactly what they are doing. Tandy did exactly the same thing, a
few years ago. They replaced shops which carried a lot of bits with
very bare ones, and went bust a year or two later.
August 8, 2005 8:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Peter (peter@nobody.nowhere.12334.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

> I know this is putting a bit strongly but I think Dixons will go bust
> within a year or two.

Everybody say "Awwww"...
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:25:12 PM

In article <0btef1l0h85l720bm1nekqb0jn3tki2ngm@4ax.com>,
Peter <peter@nobody.nowhere.12334.co.uk> wrote:

>Lately, Dixons seem to have been going through a re-merchandising
>change, removing all kinds of things e.g. PDAs. Now, they sell almost
>nothing useful, except a very small range of digital cameras and
>camcorders. Only their airport stores carry anything interesting.

Time to get back to one of my pet hobby horses - I reckon that anyone basing
a large part of their business on selling digital cameras specifically aimed
at consumers (as opposed to people who would describe themselves as
"photographers", be they amateur or professional), is setting themselves up
for a very big fall, and soon. I'm convinced that there is no future in the
stand-alone digital camera as a consumer product. Models aimed at amateur
and professional photographers will continue to sell, but the so-called
"point and shoot" models that people buy to take pictures of the kids, pet
dog, etc. are doomed.

And the reason I think they're doomed is because pretty soon, 3-5
megapixels, possibly with optical zoom lenses, will soon be standard
specification in mobile phones (at least in Europe and the Far East - north
America might take a couple of years longer to get there). If someone whose
only requirement from a camera is that it take occasional snapshots, which
they either print at a kiosk, or email to their friends already has one in
their phone, why on Earth are they going to bother buying a digital camera?

The traditional photographic manufacturers and retailers are in for a huge
kicking in this area. Low end, snapshot-type photography is going to belong
to the consumer electronics and phone giants in the next few years, and the
decline we have seen in 35mm will most likely happen to consumer digital
cameras as well, only it'll happen much faster this time. The photography
industry is trying to sell typewriters in the era of the word processor, and
it's going to suffer for it.

>I know this is putting a bit strongly but I think Dixons will go bust
>within a year or two. One cannot shrink one's way to success and this
>is exactly what they are doing.

Don't forget that Dixons is much bigger than the eponymous shop - they own a
number of "pile 'em high, get spotty youths to talk bollocks about 'em and
sell 'em expensive with an extended warranty" chains, such as PC World and
Currys. Still, it has to be said that they're very much the Ratners of
consumer electronics retailing, and look what happened to them...
August 8, 2005 8:57:22 PM

"Peter" <peter@nobody.nowhere.12334.co.uk> wrote in message

> Chris Brown <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, quite, In addition to them being very expensive, they're also
>>staffed
>>almost entirely by spotty youths who don't know anything about what
>>they're
>>selling, and will try to push a pointless "extended warranty" on you, at
>>extra cost.
>
> How true.
>
> Lately, Dixons seem to have been going through a re-merchandising
> change, removing all kinds of things e.g. PDAs. Now, they sell almost
> nothing useful, except a very small range of digital cameras and
> camcorders. Only their airport stores carry anything interesting.
>
> I know this is putting a bit strongly but I think Dixons will go bust
> within a year or two. One cannot shrink one's way to success and this
> is exactly what they are doing. Tandy did exactly the same thing, a
> few years ago. They replaced shops which carried a lot of bits with
> very bare ones, and went bust a year or two later.

The Dixon's Shops no longer Have a market. The rest of the group Have P C
world Have all the computer stuff and digital. Curry's all the Audio range
and video + digital
Link the Phones. So Dixon's who started it all is no longer a necessary part
of the group.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D d87vl$r5e$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
some budget SLR kits and some very out-of-place high end SLRs,
> which they never sell anyway. There's even a severely shop-worn Leica 90mm
> Elmarit gathering dust with a 10% discount that i'm sure migrated to the
> new store in 2003...
>
> So no real fear of Dixons running out of film cameras, they can't sell the
> damn things anyway...

Reminds me of a conversation with a customer reagrding the 10D. "Sorry we
don't have any, as soon as we get them in stock we sell out."

customer: "dixons have some."

"Buy it from there then"

customer: "wouldn't buy from them"

"Now you know why they have stock. Its a proper camera and no proper camera
buyer would go to dixons to get one."
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:26:06 AM

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Peter <peter@nobody.nowhere.12334.co.uk> wrote:

>I know this is putting a bit strongly but I think Dixons will go bust
>within a year or two. One cannot shrink one's way to success and this
>is exactly what they are doing. Tandy did exactly the same thing, a
>few years ago. They replaced shops which carried a lot of bits with
>very bare ones, and went bust a year or two later.

I sincerely hope you are not wrong.

;-)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:33:21 AM

"ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> writes:

> Reminds me of a conversation with a customer reagrding the 10D.
> "Sorry we don't have any, as soon as we get them in stock we sell
> out."

> customer: "dixons have some."

> "Buy it from there then"

> customer: "wouldn't buy from them"

> "Now you know why they have stock. Its a proper camera and no
> proper camera buyer would go to dixons to get one."

Almost enought to restore ones faith in human nature!!

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Archived from groups: uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.equipment.medium-format,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In message <dd7roq$8e3$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>
David Kilpatrick <iconmags3@btconnect.com> wrote:

[PCWorld]
> So did I till last week when I opened a new magenta and found someone's
> empty yellow had been popped inside the box. Their own brand.

I actually had something similar with a M&S meal: when I slipped it
out of its cardboard sleeve I found a non M&S brand of out-of-date
rice in it - totally bizarre!

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos