Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it worth upgrading my 6870 to a 7970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 5, 2012 11:38:47 AM

I was going to buy this gpu from dell since I have credit with them and wont have to pay all at once

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us...

Would I notice that much difference in performance compared to my 6870 for games like batman arkham city, witcher 2, and battlefield 3?
Also going to be getting farcry 3 and hitman absolution, I want to be able to play on ultra settings with 60 fps.

I have 8gb of ram and my processor is an i7-2600 3.4ghz, dunno if that would bottleneck with the 7970.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 11:44:05 AM

Massive upgrade. You can run far cry at 60 fps ultra with no MSAA.
m
0
l
December 5, 2012 11:45:42 AM

darth pravus said:
Massive upgrade. You can run far cry at 60 fps ultra with no MSAA.


thats good to hear, so you do think I would be able to have atleast 2x of AA turned on?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 11:48:00 AM

No for ultra I don't think and maintain 60fps. It has fxaa on in ultra anyway I think. I haven't noticed any aliasing.

m
0
l
December 5, 2012 7:20:29 PM

johndman187 said:
I was going to buy this gpu from dell since I have credit with them and wont have to pay all at once

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us...

Would I notice that much difference in performance compared to my 6870 for games like batman arkham city, witcher 2, and battlefield 3?
Also going to be getting farcry 3 and hitman absolution, I want to be able to play on ultra settings with 60 fps.

I have 8gb of ram and my processor is an i7-2600 3.4ghz, dunno if that would bottleneck with the 7970.


Defiantly.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 12:18:04 AM

thanks guys I just ordered the card now, cant wait to see how much better my games run on it!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:22:15 AM

You shouldn't bottleneck but you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:29:11 AM

Should run max out every game with 4x MSAA. Except maybe metro 2033 and crysis.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 1:03:54 PM

DO they not have anything by corsair or seasonic. I never trust small brands.
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 1:04:24 PM

Good choice!
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 1:08:41 PM

sadly dell doesnt seem to sell any good brands, its either i keep that 650w or get a dell brand which i would think is worse.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 5:13:23 PM

johndman187 said:
sadly dell doesnt seem to sell any good brands, its either i keep that 650w or get a dell brand which i would think is worse.

keep the dell psu. Its good enough. Chances are the dell psu is better than the one you are buying if its not a high quality brand.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 5:51:46 PM

It should still be ok. I don't think you need to send it back.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 6:57:39 PM

It's probably better than the dell one to be honest. Don't worry :) 
m
0
l
December 6, 2012 7:08:52 PM

ill just use it temporarily then and buy an even better psu from new egg later down the road since dell doesnt sell any good brands.
m
0
l
!