lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello,
I am about to buy a Thinkpad from Lenovo.
Lenovo is offering a few Wi-Fi LAN adapter upgrades from the usual ThinkPad b/g/n. They are:
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
• Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN) $15.00
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 -$55

I use it only for business purposes but lots of multi tasking like word, net browsing, etc. I do not play any games and barely watch any movies. Also I want something which is future proof for at least 3-4 years...

Which one should i get?
Thanks

RealBeast

Titan
No, buy the cheapest option, I read the third option to be -$55, so would choose that to reduce the price by $55. If it isn't a reduction of the price, just get the included option at no additional cost. Any of the choices would function the same for your needs.

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey Realbeast,
thank you very very much for your replies!
I apoligies for not mentioning the price properly.
The deal is that the default option is the ThinkPad a/b/g/n

then the 6205 for some $10
then 6300 for some $15
then the 6250 for $55.

for me the money here is ont much of a concern as it is barely $50 differnce in the near $800 i will psend on the laptop.

But wont the performace raking be something like (top to botpom) 6250 then 6300 then 6205 then the default.
I am a novice and making this conclusion only based on the assumption that it is $55 and 6300 is $15. Or maybe te price differrence is due to that WiMaX thing. I dont even know what is Wimax... So I guess what i am asking is 6250 a better investment than 6300? I really do not care aobut the money thing in this and want the best one.

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you very much again Realbeast!
If you dont mind, could please quickly tell me the difference between the default a/b/g/n and the 6205,6250 and 6300.
What is the hierarchy or performance in them and what is the difernece in them?
Kind Regards
Justin

RealBeast

Titan
The a/b/g/n are standard wireless protocols, the WiMax (in the 6300) gives you WiMax service capability if you subscribe to something like Clear. Not worth buying as an option unless you plan to subscribe to a WiMax service, and then they usually give you a free WiMax card anyway.

The difference between the 2x2 (6205) and 3x3 (6250) are just the number of wireless antennas -- 2x2 will work fine unless you have a really weak signal and then 3x3 MIGHT help, but it would be a marginal difference. I have never found any benefit to the upgraded antennas, as the base models always work fine.

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Dear Realbeast,
thank you again for the reply.
I have fully understood the differcnce and wil stck to the default one as you suggested!
Thank you again for taking time out to answer my queries!
Kind Regards
Justin