Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

raw challenge v.3.o

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 8, 2005 1:11:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.


What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
with it. Just for the fun of it.

You will find detailed instructions here:
http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...

See you there!

More about : raw challenge

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:45:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;

pep wrote:

> We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.
>
>
> What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
> it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
> with it. Just for the fun of it.
>
> You will find detailed instructions here:
> http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
>
> See you there!
>

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net
Triteleia Natives
http://www.triteleia.com
(415) 722-6037
August 8, 2005 2:41:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

So where's the description of the techniques you used?! (I'm not
trying to be rude, it's just that the description of techniques, etc,
will be the most beneficial to those of us that can learn from this
competition!)

Thanks,


Paul Furman wrote:
> <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;
>
> pep wrote:
>
> > We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.
> >
> >
> > What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
> > it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
> > with it. Just for the fun of it.
> >
> > You will find detailed instructions here:
> > http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
> >
> > See you there!
> >
>
> --
> Paul Furman
> http://www.edgehill.net
> Triteleia Natives
> http://www.triteleia.com
> (415) 722-6037
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 8, 2005 2:46:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Oh, I should also say that I like the results!!
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 3:08:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> So where's the description of the techniques you used?! (I'm not
> trying to be rude, it's just that the description of techniques, etc,
> will be the most beneficial to those of us that can learn from this
> competition!)


Heh, sorry.. Using PS CS I slid the shadows all the way down & the
exposure way up 2.5 or something then processed again at zero shadow but
normal exposure and pasted that below then erased out the blown sky from
the first version with a large soft edged eraser. You can see the points
of the buildings are dark where I erased over them. I think I turned
down the saturation a bit also. That was a really extreme image, not easy.



>
> Thanks,
>
>
> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>><http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;
>>
>>pep wrote:
>>
>>
>>>We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.
>>>
>>>
>>>What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
>>>it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
>>>with it. Just for the fun of it.
>>>
>>>You will find detailed instructions here:
>>>http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
>>>
>>>See you there!
>>>
>>
>>--
>>Paul Furman
>>http://www.edgehill.net
>>Triteleia Natives
>>http://www.triteleia.com
>>(415) 722-6037
>
>

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net
Triteleia Natives
http://www.triteleia.com
(415) 722-6037
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:53:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Paul Furman wrote:
> <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;
>
> pep wrote:
>
>> We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for
>> fun. What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it,
>> retouch it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what
>> you have done with it. Just for the fun of it.
>>
>> You will find detailed instructions here:
>> http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
>>
>> See you there!

http://www.fototime.com/544F33F7B2D22DD/orig.jpg

Saved the original to PSD
re-opened it as NEF
cranked up the exposure and a little saturation
saved as a PSD
selected all, copied, pasted into the first PSD
on the lightened layer, Magic Lassooed the sky, deleted it
flattened image
levels, curves, saturation to taste
Gaussian blur 50%, 1.1, 4
stair-step to size
Save For Web at a quality to give file size ~=260K (~=74)

I did one I liked better (changes in process after
"flatten") but I lost it in the save process ...

--
Frank ess
August 8, 2005 5:22:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Thanks Paul! Brian
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:51:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
news:cJGdnTZ5WsjEJWrfRVn-sA@giganews.com...
> Paul Furman wrote:
> >
<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;
> >
> > pep wrote:
> >
> >> We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for
> >> fun. What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it,
> >> retouch it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what
> >> you have done with it. Just for the fun of it.
> >>
> >> You will find detailed instructions here:
> >>
http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
rder=asc&highlight=
> >>
> >> See you there!
>
> http://www.fototime.com/544F33F7B2D22DD/orig.jpg
>
> Saved the original to PSD
> re-opened it as NEF
> cranked up the exposure and a little saturation
> saved as a PSD
> selected all, copied, pasted into the first PSD
> on the lightened layer, Magic Lassooed the sky, deleted it
> flattened image
> levels, curves, saturation to taste
> Gaussian blur 50%, 1.1, 4
> stair-step to size
> Save For Web at a quality to give file size ~=260K (~=74)
>
> I did one I liked better (changes in process after
> "flatten") but I lost it in the save process ...
>

I like the sky better in Frank's but the rest I like better in Paul's.

Greg
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:25:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
news:qqydnWcWiu06AmrfRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
> Brian wrote:
>> So where's the description of the techniques you used?! (I'm not
>> trying to be rude, it's just that the description of techniques, etc,
>> will be the most beneficial to those of us that can learn from this
>> competition!)
>
>
> Heh, sorry.. Using PS CS I slid the shadows all the way down & the


Any ideas as to why my Photoshop CS did not open this with the raw
converter?

I use PS CS it for all my Canon RAW with no such trouble.

But that 5.0MB RAW3.TIF file in PS CA just opens as a small thumbnail.

Thanks
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:25:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> news:qqydnWcWiu06AmrfRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
>> Brian wrote:
>>> So where's the description of the techniques you used?! (I'm not
>>> trying to be rude, it's just that the description of techniques,
>>> etc, will be the most beneficial to those of us that can learn
>>> from
>>> this competition!)
>>
>>
>> Heh, sorry.. Using PS CS I slid the shadows all the way down & the
>
>
> Any ideas as to why my Photoshop CS did not open this with the raw
> converter?
>
> I use PS CS it for all my Canon RAW with no such trouble.
>
> But that 5.0MB RAW3.TIF file in PS CA just opens as a small
> thumbnail.

I right-clicked on the thumbnail and selected something that resulted
in a big ol' file on my disk.

--
Frank ess
August 9, 2005 3:27:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:URRJe.8137$p%3.35461@typhoon.sonic.net...
>
> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> news:qqydnWcWiu06AmrfRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
> > Brian wrote:
> >> So where's the description of the techniques you used?! (I'm not
> >> trying to be rude, it's just that the description of techniques, etc,
> >> will be the most beneficial to those of us that can learn from this
> >> competition!)
> >
> >
> > Heh, sorry.. Using PS CS I slid the shadows all the way down & the
>
>
> Any ideas as to why my Photoshop CS did not open this with the raw
> converter?

The extention is ".tif", just remove that and the file will open correctly.

Jean


> I use PS CS it for all my Canon RAW with no such trouble.
>
> But that 5.0MB RAW3.TIF file in PS CA just opens as a small thumbnail.
>
> Thanks
>
>
August 9, 2005 3:36:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:11ffs025b626163@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
> news:cJGdnTZ5WsjEJWrfRVn-sA@giganews.com...
> > Paul Furman wrote:
> > >
> <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;
> > >
> > > pep wrote:
> > >
> > >> We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for
> > >> fun. What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it,
> > >> retouch it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what
> > >> you have done with it. Just for the fun of it.
> > >>
> > >> You will find detailed instructions here:
> > >>
>
http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
> rder=asc&highlight=
> > >>
> > >> See you there!
> >
> > http://www.fototime.com/544F33F7B2D22DD/orig.jpg
> >
> > Saved the original to PSD
> > re-opened it as NEF
> > cranked up the exposure and a little saturation
> > saved as a PSD
> > selected all, copied, pasted into the first PSD
> > on the lightened layer, Magic Lassooed the sky, deleted it
> > flattened image
> > levels, curves, saturation to taste
> > Gaussian blur 50%, 1.1, 4
> > stair-step to size
> > Save For Web at a quality to give file size ~=260K (~=74)
> >
> > I did one I liked better (changes in process after
> > "flatten") but I lost it in the save process ...
> >
>
> I like the sky better in Frank's but the rest I like better in Paul's.
>
> Greg
>

Frank's sky is very nice, I tried to putz around with Raw Shooter Essentials
but I don't have too much experience with RAW files. The results were about
the same as the two presented, except for the sky but I found so much noise
in the picture I stopped trying. Bravo to the experts.

Jean
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:36:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:25:40 GMT, "Dave R knows who"
<kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>
>"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>news:qqydnWcWiu06AmrfRVn-sQ@speakeasy.net...
>> Brian wrote:
>>> So where's the description of the techniques you used?! (I'm not
>>> trying to be rude, it's just that the description of techniques, etc,
>>> will be the most beneficial to those of us that can learn from this
>>> competition!)
>>
>>
>> Heh, sorry.. Using PS CS I slid the shadows all the way down & the
>
>
>Any ideas as to why my Photoshop CS did not open this with the raw
>converter?
>
>I use PS CS it for all my Canon RAW with no such trouble.
>
>But that 5.0MB RAW3.TIF file in PS CA just opens as a small thumbnail.

Have you spoken to Adobe support about this?

That would appear to be the place to start.


**********************************************************

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"


David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/
August 9, 2005 6:31:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <1123517511.042867.69860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
pminguez@wanadoo.es says...
>
>We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.
>
>
>What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
>it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
>with it. Just for the fun of it.
>
>You will find detailed instructions here:
>http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
&postorder
>=asc&highlight=
>
>See you there!

Pep,

Sounds like fun, BUT, with M$ IE 6.0, I could not get the file to view/open. I
checked that NEF's would view, preview, and open in PS CS2, with latest Adobe
RC, but all I got was an "un-oh cannot view." Any other URLs for the file?

Hunt
August 9, 2005 9:49:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Here's mine...all the info is there. Let me know what you think. I
didn't do as good a job as I thought when I looked at the final...but
oh well.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3619684


Andy Dee wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
> >In article <5pednQG0VtDbdmXfRVn-2w@speakeasy.net>, Paul Furman
> ><paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >>>Hi Guys,
> >>>I only spent about 5 minutes on this using the Gimp under Linux.
> >>>
> >>>http://www/fdj.org.uk/photos
> >>>
> >>>
> >>Your link redirects to a blank page:
> >>
> >>
> >
> >not if you correct the obvious typo.
> >
> >and your browser noticed that 'www' by itself was not a hostname and
> >subsequently did some sort of search on the whole string - that was not
> >a redirect.
> >
> >
> >
> >><http://www.browsercast.com/custom/branded-wwwcom/affili...
> >>es/searchstyle_www.html?action=search&afID=5589&keywords=%20fdj.org.uk...;
> >>
> >>
> Sorry folks, cant type...
> www.fdj.org.uk/photos
>
> A
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

pep wrote:

>We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.
>
>
>What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
>it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
>with it. Just for the fun of it.
>
>You will find detailed instructions here:
>http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
>
>See you there!
>
>
>
Hi Guys,
I only spent about 5 minutes on this using the Gimp under Linux.

http://www/fdj.org.uk/photos

Andy.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:13:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Andy Dee wrote:

> pep wrote:
>
>> We have just started a new edition of our RAW challenge, just for fun.
>>
>>
>> What is the game about? Download the RAW file, postprocess it, retouch
>> it, boil it, add salt and pepper and finally show us what you have done
>> with it. Just for the fun of it.
>>
>> You will find detailed instructions here:
>> http://www.foto-ceif.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148&sta...
>>
>>
>> See you there!
>>
>>
>>
> Hi Guys,
> I only spent about 5 minutes on this using the Gimp under Linux.
>
> http://www/fdj.org.uk/photos

Your link redirects to a blank page:
<http://www.browsercast.com/custom/branded-wwwcom/affili...;


--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net
Triteleia Natives
http://www.triteleia.com
(415) 722-6037
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 10:13:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <5pednQG0VtDbdmXfRVn-2w@speakeasy.net>, Paul Furman
<paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

> >>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I only spent about 5 minutes on this using the Gimp under Linux.
> >
> > http://www/fdj.org.uk/photos
>
> Your link redirects to a blank page:

not if you correct the obvious typo.

and your browser noticed that 'www' by itself was not a hostname and
subsequently did some sort of search on the whole string - that was not
a redirect.

> <http://www.browsercast.com/custom/branded-wwwcom/affili...
> es/searchstyle_www.html?action=search&afID=5589&keywords=%20fdj.org.uk...;
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:00:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Brian wrote:

> Here's mine...all the info is there. Let me know what you think. I
> didn't do as good a job as I thought when I looked at the final...but
> oh well.
>
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3619684


Well I like this one. I resized them to match to compare and this one
has a lot more punch and balance. I don't see any explanation of your
methods. I found the saturated yellows strange & desaturated those out
but maybe a WB tweak could improve the situation.

Here's all of them, I'm linking to my second cooled down WB attempt:
<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photograp...;
For this I just raw converted once & applied several curves, erasing out
with a broad brush in the sky, not trying to get anywhere close to the
building edges.

>
>
> Andy Dee wrote:
>
>>nospam wrote:
>>
>>
>>>In article <5pednQG0VtDbdmXfRVn-2w@speakeasy.net>, Paul Furman
>>><paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>>Hi Guys,
>>>>>I only spent about 5 minutes on this using the Gimp under Linux.
>>>>>
>>>>>http://www/fdj.org.uk/photos
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Your link redirects to a blank page:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>not if you correct the obvious typo.
>>>
>>>and your browser noticed that 'www' by itself was not a hostname and
>>>subsequently did some sort of search on the whole string - that was not
>>>a redirect.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>><http://www.browsercast.com/custom/branded-wwwcom/affili...
>>>>es/searchstyle_www.html?action=search&afID=5589&keywords=%20fdj.org.uk...;
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>Sorry folks, cant type...
>>www.fdj.org.uk/photos
>>
>>A
>
>

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net
Triteleia Natives
http://www.triteleia.com
(415) 722-6037
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:09:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

nospam wrote:

>In article <5pednQG0VtDbdmXfRVn-2w@speakeasy.net>, Paul Furman
><paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>
>
>
>>>Hi Guys,
>>>I only spent about 5 minutes on this using the Gimp under Linux.
>>>
>>>http://www/fdj.org.uk/photos
>>>
>>>
>>Your link redirects to a blank page:
>>
>>
>
>not if you correct the obvious typo.
>
>and your browser noticed that 'www' by itself was not a hostname and
>subsequently did some sort of search on the whole string - that was not
>a redirect.
>
>
>
>><http://www.browsercast.com/custom/branded-wwwcom/affili...
>>es/searchstyle_www.html?action=search&afID=5589&keywords=%20fdj.org.uk...;
>>
>>
Sorry folks, cant type...
www.fdj.org.uk/photos

A
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:09:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In message <URRJe.8137$p%3.35461@typhoon.sonic.net>,
"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:

>Any ideas as to why my Photoshop CS did not open this with the raw
>converter?

Because it is misnamed. Get rid of the ".tif" at the end, so that PS
knows it's a ".nef".
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
August 10, 2005 3:14:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

The description of the process is under the details link just below the
picture - sorry, I thought it showed up directly on the link :)  Thanks
for posting them all together!!

After seeing them all together, mine may be a bit too saturated...

I think this is really a great exercise that will probably help a lot
of people - we should do more!

Brian
August 10, 2005 3:26:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I should also say that there's always a fine line when you're trying to
hold enought detail in the sky without making it look "fake" in
relation to what's underneath - and I don't know if I went to far :)  I
think maybe the foreground is a little too "punchy" in relation to the
sky - they look differently separately than they do all together. In
my [limited] experience, this is one of the most difficult parts of
blending exposures!

Brian
August 10, 2005 3:26:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I should also say that there's always a fine line when you're trying to
hold enough detail in the sky without making it look "fake" in relation
to what's underneath - and I don't know if I went to far :)  I think
maybe the foreground is a little too "punchy" in relation to the sky -
they look differently separately than they do all together. In my
[limited] experience, this is one of the most difficult parts of
blending exposures!

Brian
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:44:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

We would love to have your images in the RAW v3.0 gallery. You don't need to
register to upload your pics, if you don't want to. (but we would be really
happy if you join our little comunity)

You can see what other people have done with that RAW file here:

http://foto-ceif.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=45

Come on! We want to see your fantastic creations!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:19:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Brian" <ripcurl187@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1123718968.551875.40350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I added a more recent attempt.
>
> http://foto-ceif.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=45&pos=...
>
> Brian
>

I don't know. In this one it looks like the buildings are lit from a large
lightsource way to the left. It looks unnatural.

Greg
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:37:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

<JPS@no.komm> wrote in message
news:v5aif194joehhb770n091p8i2l2e31fppp@4ax.com...
> In message <URRJe.8137$p%3.35461@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> "Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote:
>
>>Any ideas as to why my Photoshop CS did not open this with the raw
>>converter?
>
> Because it is misnamed. Get rid of the ".tif" at the end, so that PS
> knows it's a ".nef".
> --

Actually I tried that but my ACR for CS must be old. It opened fine with the
box version of Elements 3.0.
August 11, 2005 1:03:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hmn...good point. I said earlier that this would be the most difficult
part!! :) 

Brian

G.T. wrote:
> "Brian" <ripcurl187@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1123718968.551875.40350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > I added a more recent attempt.
> >
> > http://foto-ceif.com/cpg/displayimage.php?album=45&pos=...
> >
> > Brian
> >
>
> I don't know. In this one it looks like the buildings are lit from a large
> lightsource way to the left. It looks unnatural.
>
> Greg
!