SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I'm torn,
This looks like a killer deal for a SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950
Newegg

But the next genration of vid cards are coming out soon aren't they?

Would it be better to wait for the next gen because they'll be much better or is this too good to pass up?

Thanks all!

Solution
We always want the latest card because it's the best. If I were you (thinking more in a financial perspective) I would wait to see what the new generation can offer if you can play the games you want right now on min. medium settings.
BUT the first cards in the new generation will always be topped with a better edition soon after so maybe buy this one now and wait until second wave of the new generation cards get released and buy one of those.

Mahisse

Distinguished
You can alway wait for something better. The question is: Do you need the card right now to be able to play the games that you want? Then buy it, I'd say. Are you concerned about new generation being introduced due to price drops on older cards or is it because you want to buy the newest generation when it comes out?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I've got a 560 TI thats getting the job done but I'm iching for something better. I was shopping new cards when this used card came along for $120. I've got it overclocked to 960 core and doing WoW Ultra at 40-75 FPS so a better card is not dire.
I'm interested in the next gen coming out if it's really going to be worth it or the current cards dropping in price may be worth waiting for. But this seems to be a really good card and pretty cheap (edit: cheap compared to other similar cards) on sale now so I am not sure if it's worth just getting.

Mahisse

Distinguished
We always want the latest card because it's the best. If I were you (thinking more in a financial perspective) I would wait to see what the new generation can offer if you can play the games you want right now on min. medium settings.
BUT the first cards in the new generation will always be topped with a better edition soon after so maybe buy this one now and wait until second wave of the new generation cards get released and buy one of those.

Solution

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
ya, I'll just wait.

Looks like Q2 before anyone is expecting anything to come out.

TweakTown is predicting Q2 for Kepler and sounds like they are calling it a win for AMD 8XXX TweakTown
"The GTX 700 series should be a similar launch schedule to what has so far occurred with the GTX 600 series. This means we won't see anything until March 2013 or later. But the good news is that the new chip should between 25-30% higher performance and power efficiency. The Kepler refresh will have to compete with AMD's Sea Islands, so the real battle will take place in 2014 with Maxwell taking on Sea Islands."

meanwhile;
Digitimes is stating AMD won't be releasing until Q2 as well. Digitimes
"AMD reportedly plans to release its Radon HD 8000 series GPUs in the second quarter of 2013 as the company is currently going through a business reorganization to aid its poor performance in the third quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain."

Read more at
thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.