Sign in with
Your question

Buy GTX 660 Ti or Wait for 700 series?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 2:03:30 PM

The Question says its all.
Im planning to buy a 660 TI (asus) in late December or early January. I read that we can get the GTX 700 series in 2013 April.
Is this true?
Even if i buy 700's series i need one at around the price of a 660 ti. Since the 660 ti released a couple of months after the 680, do you think the 760 or 760 ti will release at around the same time as the 660 ti? (late September here in India).
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 5, 2012 3:30:41 PM

if you really need the performance right now just go for 660 Ti. about 700 series release date most rumor pointing at late 2013 Q1 or early Q2. as for specific cards like 760 Ti it depends on how nvidia wants to play their card
m
l
December 5, 2012 3:59:06 PM

Go for an HD 7950... It's without a doubt a better choice than the 660 ti out of the box. That's not even considering overclocking it to 7970 levels...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 8:53:14 AM

arcticle said:
Go for an HD 7950... It's without a doubt a better choice than the 660 ti out of the box. That's not even considering overclocking it to 7970 levels...

I live in india and there is a massive price difference between the gtx 660 ti and the R7950. In india the 660 ti is 23000 rupees which is about $450 but the R7950 is 30000 rupees which is about $600.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 9:08:15 AM

If we expect that the 760 ti will be released next year about same time as the GTX 660 ti got released this year, then I would get the GTX 660 ti right away. 8 months is a long time to wait, and as some of the other has mentioned, we're not sure if ít could be sooner or later.

m
l
December 6, 2012 10:12:36 AM

Or get a GTX660 for less money and near enough the same performance? Like people say, hold on if you can wait... and if you can't wait, buy now :-) But only nVidia knows for sure when they'll launch (to be honest, maybe not even nVidia until they take a look at the new Radeons!) so it's all guesswork really. They do always release the top GPUs first though, usually the top two single GPU models (though with this series it was just the top single GPU model). Mid-range stuff comes in the months that follow. I'm going to wait - I'll end up regretting it if I buy a card now when we're close to the new ones.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 10:18:05 AM

bc5 said:
Or get a GTX660 for less money and near enough the same performance? Like people say, hold on if you can wait... and if you can't wait, buy now :-) But only nVidia knows for sure when they'll launch (to be honest, maybe not even nVidia until they take a look at the new Radeons!) so it's all guesswork really. They do always release the top GPUs first though, usually the top two single GPU models (though with this series it was just the top single GPU model). Mid-range stuff comes in the months that follow. I'm going to wait - I'll end up regretting it if I buy a card now when we're close to the new ones.

ill not wait for the 700 series. but would you choose a 660 ti or a 7950?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 10:35:10 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
No he can't he lives in India where prices are different than in the US.

flipkart.com is an indian website :p 
but for the price of a stock clocked R7950 i can get a OC'ed 660 ti. which one would you choose? also i dont want to OC any of my graphics cards myself so that's not an option.
m
l
December 6, 2012 10:39:05 AM

What resolution will you be playing at, and how many monitors? Do you plan on cranking up anti-aliasing?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 10:41:10 AM

arcticle said:
What resolution will you be playing at, and how many monitors? Do you plan on cranking up anti-aliasing?

i play @ 1080p. single 21.5'' monitor. about the anti-alising, i need enough to get those lines really smooth.
m
l
December 6, 2012 10:45:00 AM

Well nVidia definitely have the edge for anti-aliasing, between FXAA and TXAA they have a major advantage. TXAA isn't supported in all games, and FXAA is dependent on the developer for best results - Max Payne 3 is an example of FXAA done properly. Quality anti-aliasing (since it's post process, so the entire frame is anti-aliased, alpha textures included) with almost non-existent performance hit. AMD are gonna need something a hell of a lot better than morphological AA in the 8000 series if they're gonna compete on AA.

EDIT: New nVidia drivers just added TXAA support for more games though - supported in a handful of this year's major titles, and I reckon we can expect to see a lot more of it. Same with FXAA - one of its selling points is ease of implementation for developers, so we should be seeing lots of good FXAA next year.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 10:48:28 AM

bc5 said:
Well nVidia definitely have the edge for anti-aliasing, between FXAA and TXAA they have a major advantage. TXAA isn't supported in all games, and FXAA is dependent on the developer for best results - Max Payne 3 is an example of FXAA done properly. Quality anti-aliasing (since it's post process, so the entire frame is anti-aliased, alpha textures included) with almost non-existent performance hit. AMD are gonna need something a hell of a lot better than morphological AA in the 8000 series if they're gonna compete on AA.

so should i go for a Asus GTX 660 ti (not sure which one- OC or TOP)
m
l
December 6, 2012 10:52:24 AM

timarp000 said:
so should i go for a Asus GTX 660 ti (not sure which one- OC or TOP)

Out of those two options, yes. 7950 has a tiny lead in raw framerates, but you'll lose that advantage using MSAA over FXAA (plus you lose alpha texture transparency AA). My choice would be GTX660 for near enough the same speed, or step straight up to a GTX670. The GTX660 Ti is a good choice though - in addition to the AA edge, you also get adaptive v-sync for much nicer framerates if you use vsync (for preventing screen tearing) and your fps drops below 60fps (or whatever your refresh rate is).

As for manufacturer, Asus are top quality. Might be worth considering warranties though. EVGA give best warranties here, worth looking into. I've been researching warranty cover because my two-year warranty card just died two years and four months after I bought it. Could have gamed on it for a good couple of years more (it was seriously top end) if it hadn't died. So long warranties really are worth having!
m
l
December 6, 2012 12:02:18 PM

Hmm. Very interesting...Thanks for the information BC5. I had not considered the software differences between NVIDIA and AMD, only the software! That's good to know...
m
l
December 6, 2012 12:50:36 PM

Pleasure :-) Information on TXAA is hard to come by (and I have a Radeon so I'm unfortunately unable to test it myself) but it appears to be very quality-oriented. Not sure about performance impact.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/landing-page/txaa

FXAA is your quality+performance solution, where it's actually implemented correctly by the developer (e.g. with Max Payne 3) rather than forced.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 1:04:13 PM

bc5 said:
Pleasure :-) Information on TXAA is hard to come by (and I have a Radeon so I'm unfortunately unable to test it myself) but it appears to be very quality-oriented. Not sure about performance impact.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/landing-page/txaa

FXAA is your quality+performance solution, where it's actually implemented correctly by the developer (e.g. with Max Payne 3) rather than forced.

Is the Asus GTX 660 ti DC2 TOP worth the extra money over the OC version?
m
l
December 6, 2012 1:17:52 PM

timarp000 said:
Is the Asus GTX 660 ti DC2 TOP worth the extra money over the OC version?

It depends on firstly whether or not you'll overclock. And secondly on whether or not you'll SLI it in the future.

If you're not overclocking but are SLIing then you're best off with a stock model so you can easily match them in future without adjusting clock speeds. They need to be a match, and retailer stocks will have less selection in the future when newer models are out, so stock clocks is safest.

If you're overclocking, factory OC doesn't add value (though superior coolers do).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 1:58:46 PM

bc5 said:
It depends on firstly whether or not you'll overclock. And secondly on whether or not you'll SLI it in the future.

If you're not overclocking but are SLIing then you're best off with a stock model so you can easily match them in future without adjusting clock speeds. They need to be a match, and retailer stocks will have less selection in the future when newer models are out, so stock clocks is safest.

If you're overclocking, factory OC doesn't add value (though superior coolers do).

On the Asus GTX 660 Ti's factory overclocked or not overclocked come with the Direct cu ii Cooler. so cooling should be the same for all, and how much or a performance increase will i get by buying a TOP Card (1058Mhz Stock, 1137Mhz Boost) over a reference clocked card (915Mhz Stock, 980Mhz Boost).
m
l
December 6, 2012 2:51:25 PM

It's a pretty decent factory overclock, I'd estimate maybe a 10% framerate gain. So not really enough that you'd notice the difference. If it's not a lot more expensive and you're not gonna SLI in the future, grab one. Else, the stock model.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 3:39:12 PM

bc5 said:
It's a pretty decent factory overclock, I'd estimate maybe a 10% framerate gain. So not really enough that you'd notice the difference. If it's not a lot more expensive and you're not gonna SLI in the future, grab one. Else, the stock model.

the TOP Version costs about $20 more and the truth is i think i will SLI in the future, maybe 2 years down the road, but by that time there may be a new GPU that performs at around the same as 2 660 ti but at the same price. So SLI is kind of a maybe, maybe not thing.

Even if i do SLI cant i just buy the same card again?

And that 10% performance increase, i dont benchmark or anything so will that 10% more power make my gaming noticeably smoother?
m
l
December 6, 2012 4:29:42 PM

Not at all. It would turn 30fps into 33fps. Not really a game changer! As for buying another of the same card, obviously that's the ideal option but you have to understand that in 2 years, you're probably gonna have a hard time finding the exact same card. Nowhere near as many GTX660 Ti models will be stocked by retailers as there are at the moment. You'll have a much easier time of it if you only need to find another stock model, as opposed to specifically a 1058MHz model.

My brother bought a GTX560 Ti a bit over a year ago, and he got the 2GB model so it would last for future games. Problem now is that the only GTX560 Tis still for sale are the 1GB model, meaning he can't now SLI it. That's why I'd always try and get the most standard spec card possible if you have intentions of SLI. Spend that $20 on pizza - you'll enjoy it more than 10% framerate :-)
m
l
!