2011 build; monitor in power saving mode at boot and driver crashes

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section here, but I saw a few similar topics (for newer builds) and I've gotten good help here before. I built my current system in the spring of 2011, and now I can't use it because the monitor goes into power saving mode at boot-up or, when I a few times managed to get into windows, because the display/graphics card driver crashes repeatedly whenever I try to play a video at youtube etc or run a game.

My build is:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (control panel > system says speeds are 3.30 and 3.31 ghz)
RAMM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ddr3 9-9-9-24
GPU: nVidia GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom 1280MB edition)
MB: Asus p8p67 PRO
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
PSU: XFX Pro XXX edition 750W semi-modular
Monitor: Dell u2311h

With a few exceptions, my PC has run without issues since Spring 2011, though I did have similar issues to these for a few days sometime during Fall 2012. If I recall correctly, my PC suddenly booted without my monitor registering it and remaining in power saving mode. Replacing the monitor with another didnt fix the issue, so the u2311h isnt at fault. However, maybe 1 in 15 boots happened normally and without issues, and I somehow figured that the DVI cable I used to connect my monitor to my GPU was the issue. I replaced my DVI with a DisplayPort cable, and since then I think it only happened once or twice and after that my computer worked perfectly, even being used for several hours almost every day since.

Last Thursday however, I had to have my computer transported by car for many hours because I've moved to a different part of my country (I dont think thats the issue though since I've had similar problems before). When I got it, the monitor once again after many months of normal use wouldnt go out of power saving mode when I booted. This persisted through probably 20+ boots, but the next morning it booted completely normally and I had it running perfectly for probably 12+ hours.

Yesterday however, the monitor once again went into power save mode, although now it actually woke up when I booted but went into power save mode after the "starting Windows" message that comes along with the Windows logo right before you get to the user accounts UI. I could (and can) enter Safe Mode or the Bios configuration without issue though.

I did a lot of things on my own to try to fix the issue, including:
- moving the computer case around in different positions
- taking the different cables out of the computer and back again, ad nauseum
- opening the case and clearing out some dust as well as removing PSU cables and the RAMM sticks and plugging them back in
- (stupidly) taking out the CMOS battery (and later putting it back in)
- launching start-up repairs
- using system restore in safe mode (but probably due to removing the CMOS battery, no dates further than a day back was available)
- getting the "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency" message during boot-up and letting it run

I don't know if any of them did anything good, but eventually I did manage to launch Windows normally a few times, however, unlike this Friday when it ran completely normally, this time my GPU driver would crash (and recover) whenever I played a youtube (and probably any other video file) video or launched a game. This persisted through the installation of three different GPU drivers; 310,90; 306, 97 and 306.23.

Unfortunately that didn't last, and at the moment I am unable to boot-up my computer without the monitor going into power saving mode before Windows fully loads. I take the GPU driver crashes as a symptom that there's more than that wrong with my PC though. If any of you recognize these symptoms or can help me in any way, I would really appreciate it. I've learned the last week that a 6-years old laptop is no substitute for a decent system.
5 answers Last reply
More about 2011 build monitor power saving mode boot driver crashes
  1. you could have a bad video card or a bad power supply that not outputting the voltage needed for your video card. if your system has onboard video i would power it down..and make sure the mb drained of power.(unplug it from the wall). then remove the gpu and run with the onboard video to see if it runs fine. with the onboard gpu try updating the bios on the mb and all the drivers and run cpu-z to make sure your ram speed is set right. then run memtest from a boot disk. if the system runs fine...check that you did not install the mvp[ software that bonds the gpu and ipgpu. i would then boot into safe mode and run anti virus scan and in msconfig turn every thing off but your anti virus. then run a nvidia drive sweeper and make sure you have a clean install of the driver. if the video card acts up again. try the card in another system or another card in yours.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately the p8p67 PRO motherboard doesnt have onboard video so I can't try that, and there are no non-laptop computers in my house at the moment so I can't try with another GPU, at least not for a couple of weeks.

I will however try to update my BIOS though, and run the programs you suggested.
  3. Can you hook up a PC speaker and listen to the error codes?
  4. My speakers work normally; the only identifiable problem is that my monitor falls asleep before Windows loads or doesn't wake up at all when I boot, and also that (most of the time) when I do manage to boot, I get the message that my GPU driver crashed and restored itself whenever I play a video or launch a game.

So there are no error codes; in fact, unlike when the build was new (I think, not 100% sure) there are no beeps or anything at all when I boot (even in the 1 in 50 times it actually works normally except for driver crashes), nothing but the sounds of fans starting etc.
  5. Well, I've updated a bunch of drivers as well as my BIOS now, and for the last day my computer has worked normally (booted perfectly for 10+ reboots by now). I have no idea which of the updates made the difference, but it seems the system is alright for now, so thanks :).

I kinda have the feeling this problem might return sooner or later though; I might update this thread if that happens.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Monitors Power Systems