Correct Driver Removal for new Graphics Card Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaz

Distinguished
Hello,

I have always reinstalled my operating system when upgrading my graphics card. I know it's not a necessity, but I kind of looked at it as an excuse to reinstall. Always like the fresh feeling.

Well, today, I don't feel like reinstalling. Mainly because my SSD just doesn't benefit from fresh installs like my old mechanical did. So I've decided to go the route of removing the old drivers and installing the new hardware.

I've done my searching and understand the general concept. Device manger, remove drivers, install card, install new drivers. I just want to clarify and make sure there aren't any more specific steps I should be taking. I know drivers can linger on systems and I want to make sure I completely remove anything that may interfere with my new card.

So to anyone who has done this multiple times, whats your say? Should I simply just remove the old drivers and leave it at that, or should I go to the lengths of following steps like this -->

Thanks guys. :sol: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/467215/geforce-drivers/geforce-driver-installation-guide-a-guide-to-ensure-your-drivers-are-installed-properly-/1

Solution

Honestly, I haven't had to resort to Drive sweeper yet. With the new NVidia or AMD drivers, they remove the old driver automatically before they install your new driver.

I haven't had issues using this method. YMMV :bounce:

Honestly, I haven't had to resort to Drive sweeper yet. With the new NVidia or AMD drivers, they remove the old driver automatically before they install your new driver.

I haven't had issues using this method. YMMV :bounce:

Solution

ikaz

Distinguished
Question is are you going from to a different chipset or same family, I.e going form AMD to nvida (or visa versa). If your staying the same then just put the new card in and reinstall the drivers (or install a newer one if available). Otherwise then just uninstall the say "Nvida" shutdown put the new card in, then install the AMD drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.