Building a new gaming PC, some doubts

Hello!

recently i decided that i wanted to build a new pc for playing games , and i have got this components in mind. My idea is to get stable 60's-80's when playing at ultra settings (1920x1080).

So far :

Processor: Intel i5 - 3570K - 3.4ghz

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M

GPU: EVGA geforce gtx 670 2gb (stock from nvidia, NO ftw)

Ram: 8gb - 1600Mhz - Corsair vengeance black

1 TB Hard drive Wester digital Caviar

Power supply: 600W cooler master eXtreme power

Screen: 22" LG flatron W2242T BNA - 16:9

Cooler master mid tower Elite 335U


Now my doubts are if a stock gtx 670 from evga will be able to run games at hi res with the fps i desire

Main games i'd be playing : Far cry 3, Bf3, Skyrim, Crisis (1&2), TF2, Dota 2 , Day Z

This is why i also considered a gtx 670 from Gigabyte (2gb) OC version with 3x fans, but i dont know if it will be available for a while

I'm open to any suggestions , but bare(this is how you type it right? :P ) in mind that i'm in south america and i may not be able to get certain versions of the components . (and if you live in south america you can suggest places to get parts :) )

Thanks :)
15 answers Last reply
More about building gaming doubts
  1. also sorry if it is the wrong section...didn't know wether GPU or CPU section
  2. It belongs in the new build section. anyway.

    60-80 FPS is entirely dependent on the game and a single card isn't going to do that in some games. A 7970 will have better performance and is the same price here, but its a small margin so which ever is cheaper there.

    Absolutely DO NOT get a cooler master extreme power PSU. They lie about wattage and are basically a time bomb. Don't skimp on the PSU then be surprised when it destroys a $1000 worth of parts.

    You want a good brand. Seasonic, PC power and cooling, xfx, corsair, antec, some rosewills. You should ALWAYS check professional reviews before buying a PSU. Hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, techpowerup are a few good review sites but just google the PSU model + review
  3. I agree with unksol entirely on this matter. Avoid the cm extreme psu. If you want fairly low wattage units, there are the Corsair TX550/650, Seasonic G550 (I believe this is the model name), Seasonic X660, XFX 550W.

    Oh, and fps depends on games and image settings as well. You're not necessarily going to get 70-80 fps if you max modern demanding games (ie. Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Crysis). Keep your expectations realistic. Read reviews to know how your card perform in certain games.
  4. unksol said:
    It belongs in the new build section. anyway.

    60-80 FPS is entirely dependent on the game and a single card isn't going to do that in some games. A 7970 will have better performance and is the same price here, but its a small margin so which ever is cheaper there.

    Absolutely DO NOT get a cooler master extreme power PSU. They lie about wattage and are basically a time bomb. Don't skimp on the PSU then be surprised when it destroys a $1000 worth of parts.

    You want a good brand. Seasonic, PC power and cooling, xfx, corsair, antec, some rosewills. You should ALWAYS check professional reviews before buying a PSU. Hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, techpowerup are a few good review sites but just google the PSU model + review


    Quote:
    I agree with unksol entirely on this matter. Avoid the cm extreme psu. If you want fairly low wattage units, there are the Corsair TX550/650, Seasonic G550 (I believe this is the model name), Seasonic X660, XFX 550W.

    Oh, and fps depends on games and image settings as well. You're not necessarily going to get 70-80 fps if you max modern demanding games (ie. Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Crysis). Keep your expectations realistic. Read reviews to know how your card perform in certain games.



    alright , thanks you two! i'll try and look for a different psu and will definately do aLOT more investigation with the gpu. still wondering , would it be worth getting a 7970? i mean in comparison with price and performance. budget for gpu can go to 500 at max. can it be afforded?
  5. 7970 is a great card. It performs somewhere around the 670 and 680 and can even get to the same level of performance as the last gen GTX590 and HD6990 dual-GPU card by overclocking. They're usually around $380-$400. If you are getting one, I would suggest getting the normal one, not the GHz edition (it's around $430 or so) because both version have similar overclocking capabilities while the non-GHz edition cost far less.

    A GTX670 is also a great card though, and it uses less power. It's only if you're into GPU overclocking that you might want to consider getting an HD7970. If not, get the GTX670, it's a great card really.
  6. Quote:
    7970 is a great card. It performs somewhere around the 670 and 680 and can even get to the same level of performance as the last gen GTX590 and HD6990 dual-GPU card by overclocking. They're usually around $380-$400. If you are getting one, I would suggest getting the normal one, not the GHz edition (it's around $430 or so) because both version have similar overclocking capabilities while the non-GHz edition cost far less.

    A GTX670 is also a great card though, and it uses less power. It's only if you're into GPU overclocking that you might want to consider getting an HD7970. If not, get the GTX670, it's a great card really.



    ok, thank you!
  7. Yea you really cant go wrong with the 670 or 7970 or 7970ghz all great cards
  8. yeah i've realized that 80 fps is ALOT and that with "utra" which implies 4xAA most times an average is 55 :P

    the problem is that i see really different benchmarks for the stock 670 in fc3, some say 60 othres 55 and others 30....i'm confused.

    and the fact that since the new drivers came for nvidia makes me want gtx 670 even more, i've heard there's nearly a 20% improvement for far cry 3. its just i want to play that game SO bad with nice graphics. probably ultra or very high with no AA :P
  9. The benhcmarks are always never the same. They use different testbed, different drivers, different maps or levels. Anyway like I said before, if you want a 670, then get the 670. You really can't go wrong with either 670 or 7970
  10. thank you all guys, i will go for the standard gtx 670
  11. Just one question whats the price difference between a 670 and a 7970 and a 680 where you are?
  12. In the UK a gtx 670 is about £300, a 7970 is around £320, and a gtx 680 is around £390. This all depends on the model though.
  13. Id personally take the 7970stock and overclock it to 7970 ghz clocks
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review-benchmark,3232-10.html Considring its a decently faster and has 3gb of vram. But Really even if you get the 670 you still would be super happy. at the end of the day just choose which you prefer goodluck!

    ps: the 7970ghz would get more fps than in the benchmark since thats running 12.8 drivers and 12.11 are out. so the 7970 is decently infront
  14. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  15. Don't buy the Corsair HX650 psu. It has a defect in design, the fan makes a loud whistling/chirping sound when gaming/3d modelling. The older model of the HX650 is supposed to be ok. I'm on my 1st RMA which had the same problem and now I've requested they send an older model.

    the amd 7950/7970 has 384 bit bandwidth in memory as compared to the nvidia 670/680 which has 256 bit. That is supposed to impact performance in some games like Crysis 2. You should check which games you want to play. I'm using a 7950 factory overclocked which is quite nice. Its handling Far Cry 3 on full hd with all settings maxed except anti alaising which is set at 4 and not 8 which is the max.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems