Is having more and smaller partition improves HDD?

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi
I know several partitions are better to manage than 1 huge partition.
Instead of 40GB HDD ten 4GB partitions improve and HDD performance like search speed?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Most of the reason that you would want multiple partitions on a large hard drive is for ease of use and cluster sizes. Smaller partitions mean smaller cluster sizes which means less wasted space. The partitions get fragmented, which could decrease in performance.

I usually go with one partition on my drives. I haven't seen any performance increase either way.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

depends on what format u are using. If you use Fat16, you are limited to 2 GB. If you use Fat32, you better keep it under 8 GB, coz if it exceed 8 GB it will increase the cluster size, which mean waste space, but not many people care about this since everyone has a hugh hd, also 8 GB is not very efficient, I don't think anyone would make 10 - 8GB for a 80 GB HD. Oh, wait, my friend did. He partition his 10 GB drive into 5 partition, + 1 CD + and HD with 2 partition, when I go to "My computer" oh his computer, it shows 8 drives in there.
If you use NTFS, if I remember right, it won't increase the cluster size until 32GB.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
NTFS v5.0 (what you would use with Win2K or WinXP) default cluster sizes for differently sized partitions:

Partition Size (GB):
0-0.5
Cluster Size (KB):

Partition Size:
0.5-1.0
Cluster Size:

Partition Size:
1.0-2.0
Cluster Size:

Partition Size:
2.0-?
Cluster Size:

The maximum cluster size is 4KB for all partitions over 2GB, regardless of their size.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Nice system!

If you make out a will, you'll keep yer pal Camie in mind, won't you?

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>