Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Time Build (Gaming)

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 20, 2013 12:54:49 PM

Hi guys I currently have a ps3, but have been drooling over video's of the graphics on PC so I have started a bank account for a new pc build fund. I know that there is no other place to better ask this question so I am posting it here because I know you guys (and girls???) love helping out and giving your opinions and advise. I'm looking at a budget of around $1000 (I already have nice ASUS VS247H-P monitor 1080p so I don't need that) and the game I want to play the most is Skyrim with (maybe??) a couple texture mods, but I would also like to run other games like mass effect and maybe battlefield 3. I don't care if I have to turn the shadows down on Skyrim, but I would love to be able to run it on max. Now I believe I heard that this game doesn't use more than 2 cpu cores. Is that correct?? Anyways, I'm kind of rambling so I'll tell you guys the parts I have decided on.

CPU: Intel i5 2500k ($220 at Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 ($310 at Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: This I have no idea. I don't wan to spend too much $ on it, but I want it to be stable. Overclocking isn't that important to me (Should it be??) Just need Socket LGA1155 and 240pin for the RAM

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) I don't need more than 8gm for gaming, correct? ($48 at Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: So I hear that I should install the OS and games on a solid state drive for better load times. Is that true? This is what I was thinking for that.
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($105 at Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Probably a Seagate Barracuda with 64mb of cache??

PS: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply ($65 at TigerDirect) Would that work?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Case: Any cheap casewith lots of breathing room. Fan noise does not bother me as long as it is cool in there. Any recommendations would be great. I don't care about fancy lights or anything I just want it to keep my components safe.

Optical Drive: LG 24X DVD Burner ($18 at Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and I can find a keyboard and mouse laying around somewhere so I won't count that. So I'm t $766 not including the MOBO, HDD, and Case. If I have to go a little over $1000 that would be fine. Is there anything you guys see here that I don't need? I'm definetly set on the i5 and 660 Ti. The thing that I need the most help with is the MOBO. I have no idea where to start with that. Like I said I don't care about overclocking I just want a cheap, stable, and reliable MOBO. Thank you guys so much for taking your time to help me out! -Josh

More about : time build gaming

January 20, 2013 1:52:54 PM

is having a750 watt PS bad? I wanted that one because I wanted to have room to add another 660 ti in the future. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
Related resources
January 20, 2013 2:10:40 PM

Noob12 said:
First if you do not overclock take this cpu:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/400271/Xeon_E3_1230V...

Poweris overkill. Good 550W gold or platinum is good.
Here is cheap 600W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
notice a Receive a $20 prepaid card by mail from Corsair! Expires on 1/21/13

SSD is well, figure it out yourself:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/ocz-ve...

MoBo so if you are not overclocking B-75 is fine.

This is good Z-77 MoBo: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74161&vpn=GA-Z77X-D3H&...


You must have sent the wrong link for the processor, since a xeon is not optimal for gaming. An i5 3470 would do just fine.
January 20, 2013 2:14:20 PM

For a budget of $1,000, here's my recommendation.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($128.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($310.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1004.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-20 11:13 EST-0500)
January 20, 2013 2:15:29 PM

Here is what I would go with if you want to overclock. Kept the 750W PSU for your future CrossFire request.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($304.37 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill Line ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1023.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-20 11:17 EST-0500)

If you don't want to overclock, then go with this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Line ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1027.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-20 11:14 EST-0500)
January 20, 2013 2:21:06 PM

Noob12 said:
First if you do not overclock take this cpu:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/400271/Xeon_E3_1230V...

Poweris overkill. Good 550W gold or platinum is good.
Here is cheap 600W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
notice a Receive a $20 prepaid card by mail from Corsair! Expires on 1/21/13

SSD is well, figure it out yourself:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/ocz-ve...

MoBo so if you are not overclocking B-75 is fine.

This is good Z-77 MoBo: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74161&vpn=GA-Z77X-D3H&...


hoookay. Lots of things to address here.

CPU
1. A Xeon for a gaming system is a waste of money.

2. Microcenter CPU prices are in store only, so unless you're lucky enough to live close to one (only a couple dozen locations in the U.S), you'll need to get your CPU elsewhere.

3. There's no point in buying a sandy-bridge processor now unless you can get it amazingly cheap.


PSU
1. You do *not* need a gold or platinum 80-plus rating. They save very little power over bronze.

2. The issue with the Ultra PSU is simply it's an awful quality PSU, built by Wintek. I wouldn't trust it to power my toaster. The best PSU's to buy are Seasonic or Seasonic-built (PC Power&Cooling, XFX)

3. 600w on a quality PSU is plenty to support a pair of 660ti's with headroom left.
January 20, 2013 2:21:11 PM

So is the radeon 7950 that much better than the GTX 660 Ti? Would I be able to max out Skyrim? I though I heard that te GTX 660 Ti was better, but perhaps I heard wrong?
January 20, 2013 2:35:26 PM

ravagetheearth said:
So is the radeon 7950 that much better than the GTX 660 Ti? Would I be able to max out Skyrim? I though I heard that te GTX 660 Ti was better, but perhaps I heard wrong?


The 7950 is just a bit behind the 660 Ti in Skyrim but can be OC'd to meet those specs. However, if this is not the only game that you will play (which I am sure it is not), the 7950 beats the 660 Ti, hands down, even at stock on many other games.

I mean, even here, the 7950 is not far behind the 680
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Flex/22.html
January 20, 2013 2:47:22 PM

ravagetheearth said:
So is the radeon 7950 that much better than the GTX 660 Ti? Would I be able to max out Skyrim? I though I heard that te GTX 660 Ti was better, but perhaps I heard wrong?


The 660 Ti is only better in games that are Nvidia favored. The 7950 will outperform the 660 Ti in games that are not biased.
January 20, 2013 2:48:58 PM

2878423,11,1529579 said:
The 7950 is just a bit behind the 660 Ti in Skyrim but can be OC'd to meet those specs. However, if this is not the only game that you will play (which I am sure it is not), the 7950 beats the 660 Ti, hands down, even at stock on many other games.

I mean, even here, the 7950 is not far behind the 680
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Flex/22.html[/quotemsg}
What about the 7970? Is that better than the 660 Ti in Skyrim?
January 20, 2013 2:50:15 PM

7970>7950 ergo 7970>660ti. Even in skyrim
January 20, 2013 10:12:31 PM

http://www.microcenter.com/

Is this a store or an actual "micro center" because there is one in Cambridge, MA which is about 30 minutes from me. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, I have never heard of something called a "micro center". Thanks so much for the quick responses guys. I really appreciate it!!!
January 20, 2013 10:26:29 PM

ravagetheearth said:
http://www.microcenter.com/

Is this a store or an actual "micro center" because there is one in Cambridge, MA which is about 30 minutes from me. Sorry for the lack of knowledge, I have never heard of something called a "micro center". Thanks so much for the quick responses guys. I really appreciate it!!!


That's it. The name of the store is "Micro Center", a.k.a. Shangri-La.

If you're inclined towards the maker crowd, I suggest bringing someone with you that will stop you from buying other things. I spent $300 on arduino parts the first time I went there (that wasn't what I went there to buy!)

:) 
January 20, 2013 10:29:40 PM

Hey, I went to microcenter's store locator and saw its about 40 minutes out, 30 miles out, arn't the i5 3570k CPU's and Asrock Z77 extreme 4 motherboard cheaper in store? if they are, were talking a gallon or two of gas, around 8 dollors, so.. how much cheaper are they in store? if its enough i could put that into a better case or 670
sorry if this is off topic btw!
January 20, 2013 10:37:50 PM

kilo two nine said:
Hey, I went to microcenter's store locator and saw its about 40 minutes out, 30 miles out, arn't the i5 3570k CPU's and Asrock Z77 extreme 4 motherboard cheaper in store? if they are, were talking a gallon or two of gas, around 8 dollors, so.. how much cheaper are they in store? if its enough i could put that into a better case or 670
sorry if this is off topic btw!


The i5-3570k is $190 @ microcenter, so $20-40 cheaper than anywhere else. On top of that, if you buy the 3570k with a motherboard from them, you get another $40 off.

The 3570k+z77 extreme4 would be $285 from microcenter, before tax.

the 3570k+z77 extreme4 from newegg would be $355 after a $10 mail-in rebate on the board.

...microcenter needs to pay me for that shill >.<
January 20, 2013 10:38:10 PM

quilciri said:
That's it. The name of the store is "Micro Center", a.k.a. Shangri-La.

If you're inclined towards the maker crowd, I suggest bringing someone with you that will stop you from buying other things. I spent $300 on arduino parts the first time I went there (that wasn't what I went there to buy!)

:) 



Thats awesome!! Now I'll do some research and see how much cheaper I can get some stuff. So I've decided on going with the MSI Radeon 7950 and I'll overclock it. Will the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 MOBO be alright for doing that? I'll take it in little baby steps as I have never OC'd before and don't want to break anything!!! Can someone give me an idea of what this GPU can safely handle and what I should OC it to for great performance in Skyrim?
January 20, 2013 10:39:47 PM

quilciri said:
The i5-3570k is $190 @ microcenter, so $20-40 cheaper than anywhere else. On top of that, if you buy the 3570k with a motherboard from them, you get another $40 off.

The 3570k+z77 extreme4 would be $285 from microcenter, before tax.

the 3570k+z77 extreme4 from newegg would be $355 after a $10 mail-in rebate on the board.

...microcenter needs to pay me for that shill >.<



O-o wow. i think that's all i have to say. thank you so much! i think it's worth the prob 8 bucks in gas to there and back. thank you much, and have a very nice night! sorry for the off topic question!
January 20, 2013 10:45:43 PM

kilo two nine said:
O-o wow. i think that's all i have to say. thank you so much! i think it's worth the prob 8 bucks in gas to there and back. thank you much, and have a very nice night! sorry for the off topic question!


No need to apoloize! I'm happy my thread was able to help you out!! I think I will buy the same bundle(:
January 20, 2013 10:46:52 PM

ravagetheearth said:
No need to apoloize! I'm happy my thread was able to help you out!! I think I will buy the same bundle(:


lol yeah. thats quite a bit saved, plus then you can add the money saved towards upgrade's in gpu/hdd /sdd/psu you name it. free money! double rainbow ALL the way!
January 20, 2013 10:49:33 PM

ravagetheearth said:
Thats awesome!! Now I'll do some research and see how much cheaper I can get some stuff. So I've decided on going with the MSI Radeon 7950 and I'll overclock it. Will the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 MOBO be alright for doing that? I'll take it in little baby steps as I have never OC'd before and don't want to break anything!!! Can someone give me an idea of what this GPU can safely handle and what I should OC it to for great performance in Skyrim?


The 7950 is a good overclocker, dunno specifics. I use a pair of 7850's with the bejezus oc'd out of them.

The extreme 4 is a great overclocking board, it has an 8+2+2 phase voltage regulator (the more phases, the less ripple in the current, the cooler the board runs, and the more stable your overclocked system will be).

8 phases for the CPU, 2 for the Northbride (RAM), and 2 for the southbridge which includes the pci-e slots (video card). This is one of the cheapest boards you can get that has power phases for the southbridge, ntm chunky heatsinks on the phase transistors.

for reference, My gf's machine has an asrock 970 extreme4, which has a 4+1 phase regulator, and *that* is a decent overclocker.
January 20, 2013 11:03:54 PM

quilciri said:
The 7950 is a good overclocker, dunno specifics. I use a pair of 7850's with the bejezus oc'd out of them.

The extreme 4 is a great overclocking board, it has an 8+2+2 phase voltage regulator (the more phases, the less ripple in the current, the cooler the board runs, and your overclocked system will be more stable).

8 phases for the CPU, 2 for the Northbride (RAM), and 2 for the southbridge which includes the pci-e slots (video card). This is one of the cheapest boards you can get that has power phases for the southbridge, ntm chunky heatsinks on the phase transistors.

for reference, My gf's machine has an asrock 970 extreme4, which has a 4+1 phase regulator, and *that* is a decent overclocker.


Awesome! I'm so excited I feel like a little kid again and I just got my W2 in the mail so I can fire up turbo tax and get some moneyy. Ok. So here are the crucial parts so far.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K- $190 @ Microcenter
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr $320 @ Newegg
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 $115 @ Microcenter
RAM: G. SKill RipJaws X Series 2 x 4gb $50 @ SuperBiiz

So what should I look for in the specifications of a SSD that would make it the fastest possible? I'm still totally lost when it comes to that. I don't want to spend more than $130 and I want at least 128gb. Also, I was thinking of just buying a nice HDD maybe a couple weeks after putting the computer together. Is that bad? Should I have it in when I first boot the computer? All I'm going to be putting on the computer at the beginning is the OS and maybe two or three games and thats on the SSD. I wouldnt even be using the HDD.

January 20, 2013 11:20:46 PM

Also, I hear the 7950 is huge (10.28" x 4.37" x 1.5") so I'm a little worried about picking out a case that won't be too small as I am not knowledged with cases at all. Would any full ATX be sufficient enough? I want lots and lots of air flow. I don't care about fan noise at all as I will be wearing noise cancelling head phones. Another question is maintaining and cleaning. I would like to open my case and blow it out with computer duster once a week just to prevent dust build up (neat-freak, I know). Is that a bad thing? Does anyone else do this?
January 20, 2013 11:21:48 PM

The current SSD speed king is the Samsung 840 pro. the 128gb drive is $140-150 right now, but it goes on sale from time to time (keep your eyes on slickdeals and logibuy sites). The Vertex 4 is almost as fast and has good reviews, but I shy away from OCZ because some of their earlier drives have reliability issues.

After that, the next fastest is a tie between the samsung 830 and any ssd with toggle-nand and a second-gen sandforce controller.

I currently use the Sandisk extreme (toggle-nand, second gen sandforce). I went with that drive because Sandisk is the only SSD manufacturer than makes it's own RAM (even Intel skims the cream of micron's flash crop), and they've been making enterprise-level SSD's for longer than Intel. Also, it's one of the cheapest toggle nand sandforce drives :) 
January 20, 2013 11:30:34 PM

ravagetheearth said:
Also, I hear the 7950 is huge (10.28" x 4.37" x 1.5") so I'm a little worried about picking out a case that won't be too small as I am not knowledged with cases at all. Would any full ATX be sufficient enough? I want lots and lots of air flow. I don't care about fan noise at all as I will be wearing noise cancelling head phones. Another question is maintaining and cleaning. I would like to open my case and blow it out with computer duster once a week just to prevent dust build up (neat-freak, I know). Is that a bad thing? Does anyone else do this?



Full tower would definitely fit the card, but any decent mid-tower ATX case will either be able to fit the 7950 outright, or have a removable hard drive cage to accomodate longer video cards (most people don't need the extra HDD cage, as the remaining space is enough for 3 or more HDDs)

Also, most decent cases will have removable dust filters for intake fans and the PSU fan. The stock dust filter mesh usually isn't enough to keep out all dust, but there's a tradeoff between dust-filtering efficiency and airflow. Bigger/more fans can always counter a finer-mesh filter.

P.S. pantyhose makes a great dust filter :D 
January 20, 2013 11:45:14 PM

quilciri said:
Full tower would definitely fit the card, but any decent mid-tower ATX case will either be able to fit the 7950 outright, or have a removable hard drive cage to accomodate longer video cards (most people don't need the extra HDD cage, as the remaining space is enough for 3 or more HDDs)

Also, most decent cases will have removable dust filters for intake fans and the PSU fan. The stock dust filter mesh usually isn't enough to keep out all dust, but there's a tradeoff between dust-filtering efficiency and airflow. Bigger/more fans can always counter a finer-mesh filter.

P.S. pantyhose makes a great dust filter :D 


Thank you so much! You really have been so so so much help and I really appreciate that. Maybe one day I'll be as knowledged as you (maybe....) I can't believe I'm actually close to finding everything I need! I'll update you (and everyone else) when I find a case because I would love an opinion on that. Would you be able to recommend a sub-100 full ATX case?
January 21, 2013 12:34:24 AM

So I'm having a lot of trouble picking out a decent power supply. I am tempted to just go with my original choice of the Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply. My friend got it over a year ago and it is still running strong powering his gaming rig. It has 865 reviews with a 4.7 out of 5 star rating, but at the same time I trust quilciri's decision. What to do what to do? Just with the SSD, RAM, MOBO, GPU, and CPU I'm at $757. $65 is a hell of a price for a PS that someone I know has had for over a year and 865 people who gave it an average of 4.7 stars hahaha.
January 21, 2013 2:08:26 AM

I was just reading through the thread and its so funny how all my choices changed from this morning until now. You guys are awesome. So at the end of day 1 here is my 1st official revise.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4Ghz LGA 1155 $190 @ microcenter
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr Radeon HD 7950 $305 @ newegg
MOBO: AsRock Z77 Extreme4 $115 @ microcenter
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600 (2 x 4gb) $47 @ newegg
SSD: Sandisk Extreme SDSSDX 120GB $100 @ microcenter
PSU: Ultra LSP750 750 Watt Power Supply???????? $65 @ tigerdirect
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower $60 @ newegg
OPT Drive: LG DVD Burner $18 @ newegg

and the grand total is.......... $900 on the dot!
January 21, 2013 2:24:57 AM

I wouldn't trust that psu to be honest. I would rather spend a little more and grab a Corsair TX650 V2 or a SeaSonic S12II 620. Way better units. Ultra psu have very poor reputation

The rest of the parts seems great though.
January 21, 2013 12:20:02 PM

EzioAs said:
I wouldn't trust that psu to be honest. I would rather spend a little more and grab a Corsair TX650 V2 or a SeaSonic S12II 620. Way better units. Ultra psu have very poor reputation

The rest of the parts seems great though.


Ok thanks for chiming in I think I'll go with the Seasonic. Looks like it's well built and people seem to be pretty happy with it.
January 21, 2013 1:44:20 PM

For RAM would it be better to have 2 x 4bg or 1 x 8gb? Does it matter? and could someone explain in simple terms what latency is (i.e. 9-9-9-24) and what latency is good?
January 21, 2013 1:54:31 PM

ravagetheearth said:
For RAM would it be better to have 2 x 4bg or 1 x 8gb? Does it matter? and could someone explain in simple terms what latency is (i.e. 9-9-9-24) and what latency is good?


Get 2x4GB. If you get a single module, you lose the benefit of dual channel which is faster.

You can read about the timings yourself
http://www.overclock.net/t/26706/info-ram-timings-for-d...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/memory-timings-explained/
January 21, 2013 1:58:47 PM

You should go with 2x4. As the ram is dual channel unless you have two sticks you wont get the most out of it.

latency the lower the better but CL9 will be fine for you. Stick to 1.5v and 1600mhz.

Edit: Azio beat me to it.
January 21, 2013 2:13:49 PM

ravagetheearth said:
For RAM would it be better to have 2 x 4bg or 1 x 8gb? Does it matter? and could someone explain in simple terms what latency is (i.e. 9-9-9-24) and what latency is good?


Simply put, memory latency is the delay between the memory controller asking for data from the RAM, and the RAM actually sending that data, expressed in clock cycles. Latency of 9-9-9 in a DDR3 module is good. 2x4 will allow you to run the RAM in dual channel mode, which is slightly faster than 1x8, but not really noticeable in gaming.

The first number is CAS latency, the time between the controller asking for a column address and the first bit of data coming back.

The second number is the row to column delay; the interval between opening a row of memory and getting to the columns in that row.

Third is the row precharge, the time between a previous "precharge" command and getting to the next row of memory

The last number is Active time, the time between a row being activated and the next precharge command.
January 21, 2013 2:45:34 PM

I'd like to add Lian-li cases and Rosewill to the list. Lian Li makes very clean & simple looking high quality cases if LED fans aren't your thing. Rosewill is neweggs house brand, and while some rosewill products can be iffy, their computer cases are great bang for your buck.

For the next couple days, there's a coupon code on the Rosewill Thor, which makes it $100 exactly with free shipping. It's a full tower case with a disgusting amount of airflow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-Te...
January 23, 2013 2:24:21 PM

quilciri said:
The i5-3570k is $190 @ microcenter, so $20-40 cheaper than anywhere else. On top of that, if you buy the 3570k with a motherboard from them, you get another $40 off.

The 3570k+z77 extreme4 would be $285 from microcenter, before tax.

the 3570k+z77 extreme4 from newegg would be $355 after a $10 mail-in rebate on the board.

...microcenter needs to pay me for that shill >.<


Ok I have been searching for this combo deal on microcenter for days now and I CANNOT find it!! Help! I want to buy it before the deal is no longer there anymore.
January 23, 2013 5:54:06 PM

ravagetheearth said:
Ok I have been searching for this combo deal on microcenter for days now and I CANNOT find it!! Help! I want to buy it before the deal is no longer there anymore.


Relax, the combo deal isn't going anywhere. It's not a limited time deal.

click on "shop our advertised specials" on the right side of the microcenter page

click "view the classic version" (it's probably in the new ver as well, but I'm used to the classic.)

scroll down on the left until you get to the intel CPU's page (page 33)

combo deal ad is on the top left. basically if you buy an i3 3225 or an i5 3570k with any motherbaord they sell, you get the deal.

Hav fun!
January 23, 2013 6:10:50 PM

quilciri said:
Relax, the combo deal isn't going anywhere. It's not a limited time deal.

click on "shop our advertised specials" on the right side of the microcenter page

click "view the classic version" (it's probably in the new ver as well, but I'm used to the classic.)

scroll down on the left until you get to the intel CPU's page (page 33)

combo deal ad is on the top left. basically if you buy an i3 3225 or an i5 3570k with any motherbaord they sell, you get the deal.

Hav fun!


The link I provided takes you right to it :D 
January 23, 2013 7:04:35 PM

cball1311 said:
The link I provided takes you right to it :D 


I think you meant computer parts.
January 23, 2013 7:18:05 PM

quilciri said:
I think you meant computer parts.


Yeah, sorry :pt1cable: 
!