Sign in with
Your question

Looking for hardware suggestions to build storage/general purpose serv

January 20, 2013 2:27:07 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within one month ideally

Budget Range: Nothing specific, I'm searching for good parts for the price, nothing overpriced that just came out.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I plan to use it as massive storage(I plan to add more drives in the future), I'll most likely centralize most of what my current servers are doing(automated downloads, sftp server, web server, IRC bot, asterisk server) and possibly experiment with other server possibilities.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No, I'll use a BSD type OS(I'm still wondering if I should go with straight FreeBSD 9 which I'm already familiar with or some distro made for NAS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything located in canada(newegg.ca, NCIX.com, etc.)

Parts Preferences: A motherboard with at least 2 network adapter and space for minimum 32GB of RAM.
The case need to fit in a server rack(which I already own) and be able to fit at least 20 hdd(ideally 22+ to include the OS disks)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No, will use integrated graphic

Additional Comments: I already have 5 3TB WD red hdd(I plan to buy more later on) and I'll be using the ZFS filesystem to create a software RAIDZ2(I'm not very familiar with the terms so I might be using it wrong). The OS will be on 2 hdd(which I don't have yet) set with the RAID0 equivalent of ZFS(mostly for fun and I need temporary storage for downloads and don't want to use an SSD for it).
!