Sign in with
Your question

Can the HD 7990 use all of it 6GB or only 3GB?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2012 6:34:25 PM

Hi, I have this argument with my friend and made a bet of $100. I say that the HD 7990 can only use 3GB of all 6GB because it's basicly 2 HD 7970 and 2 GPU cores and memory dosen't stack.

So who is right? Can the HD 7990 use all of it 6GB or only 3GB?

//Emil

More about : 7990 6gb 3gb

December 5, 2012 6:38:25 PM

And please add a explanation why it only can use 3GB.
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 5, 2012 6:45:29 PM

Short and sweet here.
The cards are advertised with the total RAM they have.

However the way the boards work, on each half is the GPU core, and it's own set of Memory chips.

Unfortunately, this Memory can not be shared between them both, and instead it must be mirrored.

This means the 6GB of memory is halved, because there will be a copy of the memory on each side. Effectively you only have 3GB of VRAM that can be used.
Related resources
December 5, 2012 6:57:23 PM

Now he want to know how cards in CF/SLI can work faster if it dosent stack together...
December 5, 2012 7:14:28 PM

He tells me to contact AMD to get this confirmed *faceplant*
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 5, 2012 8:02:15 PM

Tell him that's bs he lost now pay up or kick his ass and get in his pocket and take your money that's what i do
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
December 5, 2012 8:33:56 PM

sharehare said:
Now he want to know how cards in CF/SLI can work faster if it dosent stack together...

That's like saying a GT610m with 2GB of RAM would be the same speed as a GTX 680 with 2GB of RAM with his logic.

Does a Dual core CPU perform the same as a quad core just because the system still has 4GB of RAM?
Nope. It's because the System has more power to process the data. The RAM itself simply holds the data, for the processor (CPU or GPU) to do the workload.
!