Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitor Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2012 7:21:44 PM

My question concerns a workstation graphics card, so I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post.

Anyway, I have a Dell Optiplex 740 with an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core with 4GB ram with Windows XP SP3 (32 bit). I have a FirePro V7750 installed (non-overclocked) and a 460 Watt Power supply.

I know its an old machine with a not-so-new video card. However, we have to make do. We just got new monitors and the monitor that is connected to the DVI (with a VGA adapter) works fine. However, the second monitor hooked up to the DisplayPort (with a DVI to DP adapter and DVI to VGA adapter) will not be recognized.

I have attempted to enable it through display settings, Catalyst Control Center and even Device Manager but nothing has worked. I also downloaded the latest drivers and still nothing.

The only thing I have found is that in CCC, there is only one adapter listed. It says "1. ATI FirePro V7750". This is strange because on the other machines we have with FirePro V5700s, CCC lists "1. FirePro V5700" AND "2. FirePro V5700 secondary".

It appears the comptur is not even recognizing there is another monitor at all. I have tested all adapters and connections and still nothing. Please help!

More about : dual monitor issue

a c 160 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 9:14:20 PM

You can not convert a DP display output to an analog VGA without using an active converterr...
m
l
a c 160 U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 9:23:48 PM

Let me make it a little clearer... Display port is a pure digital output whereas vga is pure analog. You will need either a display with a dvi or hdmi input from the display port or you need a converter to use a screen with only vga port...
m
l
!