Msi gtx 680 lightning or msi gtx 680 Power edition?

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Msi gtx 680 lightning or msi gtx 680 Power edition? can i just OC power edition to clock speeds on lightning? also does nvidia give the program to OC or is it form a 3rd party?

mace200200

Honorable
If you want my opinion, for a card that powerful I would save the money and go with one at stock clocks. OCing your GPU will usually put more stress on it and make it die quicker. With a card like the 680, that card will be good enough to run games for as long as that card will keep working.

MSI cards all ship with their afterburner software (it's really cool, I use it on my 7770) that you can use to OC, you shouldn't have that hard of a time matching to clocks on the lighting but doing so will validate your warranty.

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I noticed they got the same cooler so went for the power edition on new egg because it came with 2 games instead of the lightning edition with no games on amazon. If someone can please tell me how to OC or is msi after burner program do it all?

mace200200

Honorable
MSI afterburner makes it real easy, you just check the box to unlock it and then slide the sliders around. Don't do it the day you get it though, give it at least a few weeks to see if it dies from any defects first. Again with a card like that you shouldn't need to OC it at all.

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
You wont need to overclock it anymore. Assuming you arent in surround or 3d or anything no games will push a stock 680 let alone the OC version. I have the 670 power edition, and it doesnt get maxed so it will be fine. Its a great cooler too btw.

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Ok so its good to know when a game that can actually challenge the 680 I can just OC im only running a single 23in 1080p monitor so I expect even witcher 2 on utra to be over 60 fps. Thanks for the input guys and glad to know 680 can handle anything. Also smart idea to let the card run for while to get it to burn in because when you choose to OC it voids warrenty right?