New Canon EOS 5D

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 5:05:28 AM

New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!

To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?

Wow.

More about : canon eos

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 5:05:29 AM

Sounds like 1 step below the 1ds... since the 20ds is under USD$1,500?

Not the same category?

T.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 5:05:29 AM

Source?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>
> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>
> Wow.

Related resources
August 10, 2005 5:05:29 AM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>
> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>
> Wow.

Is there a verifable source to this rumour?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 5:05:29 AM

> already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.

You are saying you own this camera already?

T.
August 10, 2005 5:05:30 AM

> Source?

The PDF is on some Romanian website. I also question a 20D body and wonder
how they packed a 24x36mm sensor in a dSLR designed for EF-S lenses. Likely
a hoax like the series of D200 rumours a year ago.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 5:05:30 AM

<tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
> > already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.
>
> You are saying you own this camera already?

Notice the lack of a D?

Greg
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 8:38:14 AM

In article <93hif1h61irnuio2koj599t43m0mef4gp5@4ax.com>, tp@nospam.com
says...
> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>
> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>
> Wow.

That would be cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

In article <57SdnQuYucL8FWTfRVn-og@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh says...
> The PDF is on some Romanian website. I also question a 20D body and wonder
> how they packed a 24x36mm sensor in a dSLR designed for EF-S lenses

I think this is a rumor, but the sensor wouldn't be difficult on that
body. The mount size is the same, EF-S just clears a little room by the
mirror.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
August 10, 2005 11:53:11 AM

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <57SdnQuYucL8FWTfRVn-og@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh says...
>> The PDF is on some Romanian website. I also question a 20D body and
>> wonder
>> how they packed a 24x36mm sensor in a dSLR designed for EF-S lenses
>
> I think this is a rumor, but the sensor wouldn't be difficult on that
> body. The mount size is the same, EF-S just clears a little room by the
> mirror.

IT's not just the mirror, it the entire mirror box and shutter module. If
the body was a 10D there would be room, but I don't know if a 20D could be
upgraded. I haven't read all the specs and compared it to a 20D yet.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 12:16:21 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:22:50 -0700, G.T. wrote:

> <tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
>> > already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.
>>
>> You are saying you own this camera already?
>>

> Notice the lack of a D?

All I noticed was the lack of a functional brain (like most other Canon
punters).
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 12:16:22 PM

"Rox-off" <roxy@empirerods.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.08.10.06.16.20.160000@empirerods.com...
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:22:50 -0700, G.T. wrote:
>

> > <tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> You are saying you own this camera already?
> >>

> > Notice the lack of a D?
>
> All I noticed was the lack of a functional brain (like most other Canon
> punters).

Damn, you're so witty.

Greg
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 2:21:24 PM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:18:33 -0700, G.T. wrote:

>> All I noticed was the lack of a functional brain (like most other Canon
>> punters).
>
> Damn, you're so witty.
>
> Greg

I love the smell of Canon-toast in the morning.

All you a-holes are going gaga over what is clearly a hoax. There is no
such camera.

However, you have to know that only Canon would be desperate enough for
market share to screw over their existing customer base (again) by
bringing out something that makes their current consumer line look jaded
within only a few months.

In the hunt for share in the DSLR market they seem to have neglected
development in the area that matters most - lens design. Expect more than
just a few sports photographers to start demanding an equivalent to the
Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 VR. The "uber-Lens".
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 3:14:58 PM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:

>"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>> Wow.
>>
>Is there a verifable source to this rumour?

The rumour originated in Spain.

The following isn't a rumour: European Canon dealers are aware of a
major new product announcement on August 22. Five new products will
be announced. Four of them are known, at least in terms of the market
sector they address. The fifth is unknown, but there have been strong
rumours for months of a new DSLR positioned above the 20D.

The spec sheet on the Romanian website is the one I received from a
Spanish friend. It might be a fake. If so, it would be an elaborate
and fairly convincing one.

If it is a fake, after August 22 it will be very amusing to read (for
a second time) the responses to date of the Canon shills on here.

;-)
August 10, 2005 3:14:59 PM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> a écrit dans le message de
> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:
>

> >"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
> >>
> >> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
> >>
> >> Wow.
> >>
> >Is there a verifable source to this rumour?
>

> The rumour originated in Spain.
>
> The following isn't a rumour: European Canon dealers are aware of a
> major new product announcement on August 22. Five new products will
> be announced. Four of them are known, at least in terms of the market
> sector they address. The fifth is unknown, but there have been strong
> rumours for months of a new DSLR positioned above the 20D.
>
> The spec sheet on the Romanian website is the one I received from a
> Spanish friend. It might be a fake. If so, it would be an elaborate
> and fairly convincing one.
>
> If it is a fake, after August 22 it will be very amusing to read (for
> a second time) the responses to date of the Canon shills on here.
>
> ;-)

Someone to whom I showed this said his sources talk about 3 new bodies and a
Digic 3 processor...

Jean
August 10, 2005 4:30:15 PM

Tony Polson wrote:

> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>
> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>
> Wow.

Around US$4275...
....if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar question.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:16 PM

frederick <nomail@nomail.com> writes:
> Tony Polson wrote:

>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>> Wow.

> Around US$4275...
> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
> question.

If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
Nikon D2x-killer. If you don't need 5 or 8 fps high speed shooting
this sounds very tempting. I would love full frame in a body just
slightly larger then the 20D.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:16 PM

frederick wrote:
> Tony Polson wrote:
>
>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>> Wow.
>>

> Around US$4275...
> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
> question.

Specs at http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf but not in English.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:17 PM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
> Nikon D2x-killer.

It's really can't be compared to the D2x, other than in price, with the
larger pixels, and full frame, it's a big step up. It should be good for
D2x buyers though, since it'll likely crash the price of the D2x.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:17 PM

"Gisle Hannemyr" <gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote in message
> frederick <nomail@nomail.com> writes:
>> Tony Polson wrote:
>
>>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>> Wow.
>
>> Around US$4275...
>> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
>> question.
>
> If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
> Nikon D2x-killer. If you don't need 5 or 8 fps high speed shooting
> this sounds very tempting. I would love full frame in a body just
> slightly larger then the 20D.
> --
> - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
> Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

Funny, my wife was just saying we should buy another camera to augment our
20Ds...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:17 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:07:58 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr
<gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

>frederick <nomail@nomail.com> writes:
>> Tony Polson wrote:
>
>>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>> Wow.
>
>> Around US$4275...
>> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
>> question.
>
>If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
>Nikon D2x-killer. If you don't need 5 or 8 fps high speed shooting
>this sounds very tempting. I would love full frame in a body just
>slightly larger then the 20D.

They will NEVER try to sell a 20D-type body for $4200. It will have
the usual fake "motor drive" style huge base so you think you're
getting more than you are. They have to keep up an image.
-Rich
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:17 PM

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> frederick wrote:
>> Tony Polson wrote:
>>
>>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>>
>>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>>
>>> Wow.
>>>

>> Around US$4275...
>> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
>> question.
>
> Specs at http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf but not in English.

That seems to be a 20D with add on lettering. Wouldn't the 20D body have a
problem fitting the mirror for a full size sensor?
If the spec are right, it includes a spot meter (3.5%), which would be
nice...

--

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
> Nikon D2x-killer. If you don't need 5 or 8 fps high speed shooting
> this sounds very tempting. I would love full frame in a body just
> slightly larger then the 20D.

I'm so glad that they made the vertical grip an option, rather than
integrating it, though I expect that many professionals won't appreciate
this.

Soon will see the Canon-bashers lament the fact that the D2x comes with
an integrated vertical grip, but that it's an extra-cost option on the
EOS 5D.

The real question is when will Nikon announce a full frame digital SLR.
Canon has upped the ante again.

I already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:18 PM

In message <57sif19ba009fcutijrl1qvslolpcacgu0@4ax.com>,
RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>They will NEVER try to sell a 20D-type body for $4200. It will have
>the usual fake "motor drive" style huge base so you think you're
>getting more than you are. They have to keep up an image.

So; do you know for a fact that there are no image quality factors
involved?
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:18 PM

SMS wrote:
> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>
>> If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
>> Nikon D2x-killer. If you don't need 5 or 8 fps high speed shooting
>> this sounds very tempting. I would love full frame in a body just
>> slightly larger then the 20D.
>

> I'm so glad that they made the vertical grip an option, rather than
> integrating it, though I expect that many professionals won't appreciate
> this.
>
> Soon will see the Canon-bashers lament the fact that the D2x comes with
> an integrated vertical grip, but that it's an extra-cost option on the
> EOS 5D.
>
> The real question is when will Nikon announce a full frame digital SLR.
> Canon has upped the ante again.
>
> I already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.

Considering the model number "5", it's not top of the line and is
appropriate with it's configuration. The only temporary issue here is
how well will 1D Mark II do after this thing is being released. It maybe
a repeat of Nikon 70D vs 100D.
August 10, 2005 4:30:18 PM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de
> "Gisle Hannemyr" <gisle+news@ifi.uio.no> wrote in message
> > frederick <nomail@nomail.com> writes:

> >> Around US$4275...
> >> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
> >> question.
> >
> > If the specs and pricing are true, it seems to be positioned as a
> > Nikon D2x-killer. If you don't need 5 or 8 fps high speed shooting
> > this sounds very tempting. I would love full frame in a body just
> > slightly larger then the 20D.
> > --
> > - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://folk.uio.no/gisle/ ]
> > Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z
>
> Funny, my wife was just saying we should buy another camera to augment our
> 20Ds...

Shhhh, Anika will have to buy one too.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 4:30:18 PM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> choreographed a chorus line of
high-kicking electrons to spell out:

> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> frederick wrote:

>>> Around US$4275...
>>> ...if that is the correct answer to the sixty four thousand dollar
>>> question.
>>
>> Specs at http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf but not in English.
>
> That seems to be a 20D with add on lettering. Wouldn't the 20D body
> have a problem fitting the mirror for a full size sensor?
> If the spec are right, it includes a spot meter (3.5%), which would be
> nice...

The body looks a little weird, but I suppose you could cram a 2.5"
LCD on a slightly-widened 20D body. The AF point spec is... peculiar.

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> I'm so glad that they made the vertical grip an option, rather than
> integrating it, though I expect that many professionals won't appreciate
> this.
>
> Soon will see the Canon-bashers lament the fact that the D2x comes with
> an integrated vertical grip, but that it's an extra-cost option on the
> EOS 5D.

How would pointing out where Canon made the right choice and Nikon
didn't be "Canon-bashing"? I really *do* lament it -- I wish the D2x
didn't have a vertical grip standard.

> The real question is when will Nikon announce a full frame digital SLR.
> Canon has upped the ante again.

If this is real, the 5D's specs are below the D2x in every way except for
the sensor, which I'm sure is the reason for the price tag. It looks like
a really nice camera, though; if I were a Canon user, and couldn't afford
a 1Ds2, I'd probably buy it, despite the fact that it's full-frame.

> I already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.

Is the pictured camera an EOS 5 body? I was curious about the body; it
doesn't look like a "pro-level" body, but on the other hand I'm not
familiar enough with Canon's designs to know for sure. The lack of a
100% viewfinder and the low frame rate seemed odd for a camera with
high-spec pretensions. On the other hand, it does have a spot meter,
which seems to be Canon's "feature to hold back", much like Nikon and
metering with non-CPU lenses (frankly, I'd trade the spot meter for
that feature if I couldn't have both, though I'm glad I can).

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

RichA wrote:

> They will NEVER try to sell a 20D-type body for $4200. It will have
> the usual fake "motor drive" style huge base so you think you're
> getting more than you are. They have to keep up an image.

Why do you care?

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Darrell wrote:
> "Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
>
>>In article <57SdnQuYucL8FWTfRVn-og@rogers.com>, spam@this.eh says...
>>
>>>The PDF is on some Romanian website. I also question a 20D body and
>>>wonder
>>>how they packed a 24x36mm sensor in a dSLR designed for EF-S lenses
>>
>>I think this is a rumor, but the sensor wouldn't be difficult on that
>>body. The mount size is the same, EF-S just clears a little room by the
>>mirror.
>>

> IT's not just the mirror, it the entire mirror box and shutter module. If
> the body was a 10D there would be room, but I don't know if a 20D could be
> upgraded. I haven't read all the specs and compared it to a 20D yet.

Come on, check the size. It's slightly BIGGER in all dimensions and
HEAVIER than 20D.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 6:15:10 PM

G.T. wrote:
> <tlai909@visto.com> wrote in message
>
>>>already have the EOS 5, and it's a great camera.
>>
>>You are saying you own this camera already?
>>

> Notice the lack of a D?
>
> Greg

At least someone was paying attention. Actually there is a D, but it's
preceded by a Q.

What I meant was, that the EOS 5D name was probably chosen because it
jives with the market segment that the EOS 5 was directed at, and
because the EOS 5 was so highly regarded.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 7:53:37 PM

"jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote:

>"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> a écrit dans le message de
>> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:
>>

>> >"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> >Is there a verifable source to this rumour?
>>

>> The rumour originated in Spain.
>>
>> The following isn't a rumour: European Canon dealers are aware of a
>> major new product announcement on August 22. Five new products will
>> be announced. Four of them are known, at least in terms of the market
>> sector they address. The fifth is unknown, but there have been strong
>> rumours for months of a new DSLR positioned above the 20D.
>>
>> The spec sheet on the Romanian website is the one I received from a
>> Spanish friend. It might be a fake. If so, it would be an elaborate
>> and fairly convincing one.
>>
>> If it is a fake, after August 22 it will be very amusing to read (for
>> a second time) the responses to date of the Canon shills on here.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

>Someone to whom I showed this said his sources talk about 3 new bodies and a
>Digic 3 processor...
>
>Jean

That isn't what I heard. My Spanish friend talked about one DSLR
body, two camcorders and two other things I cannot recall, but they
were definitely not DSLR bodies.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 10:34:15 PM

Who gives a rats arse

> Source?
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>> Wow.

August 10, 2005 11:10:35 PM

Darrell wrote:
> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>>To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>>Wow.
>>

> Is there a verifable source to this rumour?

I'm quite happy to eat my words, but no - not verifiable.
I expect a 12mp or so 20d successor to coincide with the D200 more or
less, but not full frame.
It would be daft for Canon not to continue with two formats, full frame
(which they have sewn up) and 1.6 crop. If I was a 20d owner with EF-s
lenses, then I would be rather saddened if this rumour is correct.
The 5D - if it exists, and if the price indication is correct, does not
really have a place in the market.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:10:36 PM

"frederick" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> If I was a 20d owner with EF-s lenses, then I would be rather
> saddened if this rumour is correct.

EFs lenses have been incompatible with full-frame (and/or 1.3 crop
factor) sensors by design. Someone with a bit of foresight and money
should have played safe and gone with the EF mount. That is not to say
that there isn't room for an EFs platform, but it has a built-in
ceiling for those having larger output magnification and higher
dynamic range needs.

Bart
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:10:36 PM

frederick wrote:
> Darrell wrote:
>
>> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>>
>>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>>
>>> Wow.
>>>

>> Is there a verifable source to this rumour?
>>

> I'm quite happy to eat my words, but no - not verifiable.
> I expect a 12mp or so 20d successor to coincide with the D200 more or
> less, but not full frame.
> It would be daft for Canon not to continue with two formats, full frame
> (which they have sewn up) and 1.6 crop. If I was a 20d owner with EF-s
> lenses, then I would be rather saddened if this rumour is correct.

Uh, the 20D is around $1200, and the 5D is rumored to be around $4000.
The 20D owners might be sad if the 5D sold for around $2000.

> The 5D - if it exists, and if the price indication is correct, does not
> really have a place in the market.

We'll see, but the D2x is doing well, and going just by the specs, the
5D beats it in many ways. Most professionals would greatly prefer full
frame, but may not need the features or resolution of a 1Ds Mark II.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:53:17 PM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>
> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>
> Wow.

http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf

Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
quality.

Whatever, it (or any other DSLR) certainly won't be called a 30D, unless
they don't mind the inevitable D30/30D confusion.

Martin
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:53:18 PM

Martin Francis wrote:
> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>>To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>>Wow.
>

> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>
> Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
> quality.
>
> Whatever, it (or any other DSLR) certainly won't be called a 30D, unless
> they don't mind the inevitable D30/30D confusion.
>
> Martin

Unlike Nikon, you rarely find any fake soon to be released Canon cameras.

If you look at the PDF properties, you can find these details, so maybe
you can cross check that.
company: cayenne communications
manager: Mariska van Gell
author: Jim Bowes
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:53:18 PM

Martin Francis wrote:
> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>>To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>>Wow.
>

> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>
> Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
> quality.

One thing that makes it appear to be fake is the EAN number,
4960999295770. All of the other Canon dSLRs have EAN numbers that begin
with 87145749.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:53:19 PM

SMS wrote:
> Martin Francis wrote:
>
>> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>>
>>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>>
>>> Wow.
>>

>> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>>
>> Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
>> quality.
>

> One thing that makes it appear to be fake is the EAN number,
> 4960999295770. All of the other Canon dSLRs have EAN numbers that begin
> with 87145749.

aren't we using 13 digits now?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2005 11:53:19 PM

l e o <someone@somewhere.net> writes:

> Martin Francis wrote:
>> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>>
>>>To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>>
>>>Wow.
>> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>> Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
>> quality.
>> Whatever, it (or any other DSLR) certainly won't be called a 30D,
>> unless they don't mind the inevitable D30/30D confusion.
>> Martin
>

> Unlike Nikon, you rarely find any fake soon to be released Canon cameras.
>
> If you look at the PDF properties, you can find these details, so
> maybe you can cross check that.
> company: cayenne communications
> manager: Mariska van Gell
> author: Jim Bowes

And it turns out that a Jim Bowes works for cayenne communications,
which is a European ad agency that does some work for Canon. But
someone could have grabbed a PDF from a Canon site and modified it. In
particular, there seemed to be reference to some DVD recorder in the
PDF properties.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
a b Ý World of Warcraft

westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu wrote:
> l e o <someone@somewhere.net> writes:
>

>>Martin Francis wrote:
>>
>>>"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>>http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>>>Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
>>>quality.
>>>Whatever, it (or any other DSLR) certainly won't be called a 30D,
>>>unless they don't mind the inevitable D30/30D confusion.
>>>Martin
>>

>>Unlike Nikon, you rarely find any fake soon to be released Canon cameras.
>>
>>If you look at the PDF properties, you can find these details, so
>>maybe you can cross check that.
>>company: cayenne communications
>>manager: Mariska van Gell
>>author: Jim Bowes
>

> And it turns out that a Jim Bowes works for cayenne communications,
> which is a European ad agency that does some work for Canon. But
> someone could have grabbed a PDF from a Canon site and modified it. In
> particular, there seemed to be reference to some DVD recorder in the
> PDF properties.

wow... we got a detective here!

A full frame 12MP selling at $4000 is exactly what Canon needs to
replace the discontinued Kodak dSLR. I think it's real. It has all the
bar code numbers listed so you can check that out too.
August 11, 2005 1:27:02 AM

2005-08-10, SMS wrote:

> What I meant was, that the EOS 5D name was probably chosen because it
> jives with the market segment that the EOS 5 was directed at, and
> because the EOS 5 was so highly regarded.

Except for that dial that kept on breaking :-)

-peter
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 11, 2005 3:12:18 AM

"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>
> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>
> Wow.

We hope.
August 11, 2005 3:12:19 AM

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>
>> To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>
>> Wow.
>
> We hope.
FAKE! As somebody pointed out elsewhere, the rear view shows a pop-up flash
that is missing in the front view.

Canon would have done a better photo, as this one the Photoshop work was
rushed look at the jaggies from the magic wand around the hotshoe.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 11, 2005 3:23:42 AM

"frederick" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Darrell wrote:
>> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>>
>>>To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>>
>>>Wow.
>>>

>> Is there a verifable source to this rumour?
>>

> I'm quite happy to eat my words, but no - not verifiable.
> I expect a 12mp or so 20d successor to coincide with the D200 more or
> less, but not full frame.
> It would be daft for Canon not to continue with two formats, full frame
> (which they have sewn up) and 1.6 crop. If I was a 20d owner with EF-s
> lenses, then I would be rather saddened if this rumour is correct.
> The 5D - if it exists, and if the price indication is correct, does not
> really have a place in the market.

I'm very happy with the Canon 1.3 format of the 1D thank you, but I would
really like to try a full-frame.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 11, 2005 4:37:46 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:44:13 -0400, westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu
wrote:

>> If you look at the PDF properties, you can find these details, so
>> maybe you can cross check that.
>> company: cayenne communications
>> manager: Mariska van Gell
>> author: Jim Bowes
>
>And it turns out that a Jim Bowes works for cayenne communications,
>which is a European ad agency that does some work for Canon. But
>someone could have grabbed a PDF from a Canon site and modified it. In
>particular, there seemed to be reference to some DVD recorder in the
>PDF properties.

Or Jim Bowes could have used another flyer for a DVD recorder as a
template and not reset that comment; it does say that it's draft v0.2
of the document. In addition to the above links to Canon, the EAN13
numbers all have a prefix that is registered to Canon's head office in
Tokyo. The word "colour" is spelt with the British "u", so that also
ties in with an interim translation between English and Spanish being
done in Europe (Cayenne is in Amsterdam, which incidentally is also in
the timezone set in the PDF's properties). I still think the pictures
are a bit iffy, but then again they are quite low resolution and may
just be placeholders using photos of early production prototypes.

I was highly sceptical of this at first, but given that all recent
Canon DSLR releases have had a leak of genuine information a couple of
weeks before release. Well, I'm starting to think that it's not so
much a leak as a deliberate marketing ploy to get people all hyped up
for the official release. Or it could just be a *very* well planned
and well implemented fake by someone(s) with a copy of CS2 and way too
much time on their hands.

In either eventuality, I don't care either way as I'm totally
indifferent towards these specs which seem to be aimed squarely at the
enthusiast landscape/studio photographer to me. A 13MP FF sensor
would certainly an impressive technical achievement at the price, but
there is nothing else mentioned in there that would make me want to
upgrade. Now the 1DmkIIN that is also mentioned in the PDF on the
otherhand, that sounds very promising indeed...

Andy
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 11, 2005 4:37:47 AM

Andy Blanchard wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:44:13 -0400, westin@graphics.cornell.nospam.edu
> wrote:
>

>>>If you look at the PDF properties, you can find these details, so
>>>maybe you can cross check that.
>>>company: cayenne communications
>>>manager: Mariska van Gell
>>>author: Jim Bowes
>>
>>And it turns out that a Jim Bowes works for cayenne communications,
>>which is a European ad agency that does some work for Canon. But
>>someone could have grabbed a PDF from a Canon site and modified it. In
>>particular, there seemed to be reference to some DVD recorder in the
>>PDF properties.
>

> Or Jim Bowes could have used another flyer for a DVD recorder as a
> template and not reset that comment; it does say that it's draft v0.2
> of the document. In addition to the above links to Canon, the EAN13
> numbers all have a prefix that is registered to Canon's head office in
> Tokyo. The word "colour" is spelt with the British "u", so that also
> ties in with an interim translation between English and Spanish being
> done in Europe (Cayenne is in Amsterdam, which incidentally is also in
> the timezone set in the PDF's properties). I still think the pictures
> are a bit iffy, but then again they are quite low resolution and may
> just be placeholders using photos of early production prototypes.
>
> I was highly sceptical of this at first, but given that all recent
> Canon DSLR releases have had a leak of genuine information a couple of
> weeks before release. Well, I'm starting to think that it's not so
> much a leak as a deliberate marketing ploy to get people all hyped up
> for the official release. Or it could just be a *very* well planned
> and well implemented fake by someone(s) with a copy of CS2 and way too
> much time on their hands.
>
> In either eventuality, I don't care either way as I'm totally
> indifferent towards these specs which seem to be aimed squarely at the
> enthusiast landscape/studio photographer to me. A 13MP FF sensor
> would certainly an impressive technical achievement at the price, but
> there is nothing else mentioned in there that would make me want to
> upgrade. Now the 1DmkIIN that is also mentioned in the PDF on the
> otherhand, that sounds very promising indeed...
>
> Andy

A PDF file for Internet user to download or internal proof doesn't need
high resolution. As for the photo, I think it's real. I have a 20D and I
can see the difference here and there and just enough to be a bit bigger
to hold the full frame sensor and larger LCD. It's clearly wider and
taller than 20D. Neverthless, I can't afford this toy but surely like to
see Canon can deliver something that Kodak had done for a few years
already - in a better way, of course.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 11, 2005 4:43:58 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:29:31 GMT, l e o <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>SMS wrote:
>> Martin Francis wrote:
>>
>>> "Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> http://alex.netfun.ro/Canon5D-specs.pdf
>>>
>>> Looks like a fake image... but I may be wrong, PDFs aren't known for
>>> quality.
>>

>> One thing that makes it appear to be fake is the EAN number,
>> 4960999295770. All of the other Canon dSLRs have EAN numbers that begin
>> with 87145749.
>

>aren't we using 13 digits now?

Yes we are, and the prefix of that EAN is indeed registered to Canon's
Head Office in Tokyo, but obviously if I could look that up then so
could someone interested in making a fake PDF flyer. Even so, there
are an awful lot of connections back to Canon from the document that
have pretty much overcome my initial scepticism about this being a
genuine leaked document.

Andy
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 11, 2005 6:39:59 AM

Darrell wrote:
> "Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Tony Polson" <tp@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>New Canon EOS 5D ... with 12 MP ... FULL FRAME!
>>>
>>>To be announced August 22, 2005. Shipping October 2005?
>>>
>>>Wow.
>>
>>We hope.
>
> FAKE! As somebody pointed out elsewhere, the rear view shows a pop-up flash
> that is missing in the front view.
>
> Canon would have done a better photo, as this one the Photoshop work was
> rushed look at the jaggies from the magic wand around the hotshoe.

WHERE do you get the idea that it has a POP-UP flash? I look at the
spec. None of that mentioned.
!