Total screen lines issue almost looks like a vid test

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
hi, i need help figuring out why i get these green screens with faint and wide white lines on my screen. my tech level of knowledge is average but this baffles me. i have added two new pieces of hardware i suspect may be cause this however to i broke my back and was in the hospital for two months. so not sure if it could be hardware or software.

so far this has only happened when im away from the computer. has not froze up and did this while playing a game or watchin a movie yet. I do have to note that my one pcie 1x is unusable cause it blocks cards due to the north bridge being so close and my x4 slot is being used for a ssd.

1. so i have 3 pcie x16/8 slots thats normaly for graphics but on the third slot i instaled a creative labs recon3d sound card into it even though the card only occupies the first little bit of the slot and the slot is i think ment for a pcie x8 card. this is the card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102041

2. also only 2 memory banks work on my motherboard wich is a gigbyte x58-ds socket 1366. this has never caused an issue but i bought new memory 2x 4gb gskill sniper. i do have my computer slihtly overclocked but not alot. and i have had it overclocked the same for years. the memory can run faster but im only running it at 1333 abouts.

one thing bout the memory that makes me wonder is on the package and on neweggs website it says this
Compatible with Intel LGA1155 and AMD Llano/AM3+ platforms
Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

so again more uncertainty. if someone could help me to resolve this issue it would be much appreciated.

oh and my graphics card wih is plugged into the first slot is a radeon 7850. i do have all the up to date drivers for sound card and have removed the drivers of the onboard sound

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i read somewhere long time ago though that that was ok but i cant rember for sure. however the card is in there and working great as far as i know. but not sure whats causing thosze wierd screens ts only been since iv added the card and the memory that dontlist compatabil;ity for 1366 socket

also too i need to note that the video card has been touched with hands and the whole computer was moved from my ouse to my moms house while i was in the hospital so nobody stole or messed with it the covers where off though and they had a towel over it wich was in direct contact with the vid card. also windows found some problems saying vid card. (is it the vid card or the sound card in a kinda third vid card slot)

Problem: Video hardware error
Files that help describe the problem:
WD-20121007-1353.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml
View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

if a copy of these files would help anyone figure this out let me know how i could post or send them

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well iv checked the memory and i cant find anything wrong with it. it seems the screens happen when the computer is idle more then 20minutes. and its random at that. i just dont want to fry anything if my setup aint right or somthin

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Any PCIe card can be used in a PCIe x16 slot, not only PCIe x16 graphic cards. Ex: PCIe sound card, PCIe-to-USB 3.0 adapter card, PCIe ethernet card, PCIe TV ard, etc.. It is just that you cannot use the full bandwidth this slot can provide. If you use a separate gfx card, it should be fitted in in the first PCIe x16 slot.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well iv also too noticed that useing cpu-id that my graphics card reads radeon 7800 but is greyed out and show under vid ram 0gb instead of 2gb and normaly it shows the speed but that portion is just blank now

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you posted that the cpi-id read 0 ram and not the 2 gig then we will try gpu-z to see what is read from the graphic card this should give you all the details on the graphic card http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and if the reading are not good it will betime for rma of this card