defrag xp?

Hi
Does any one know if incomplete and constant need to defrag is an xp problem? At any rate a good solution would be great if there is one I use the one that came with xp and Norton utilities 2002 speed disk. System is still fat 32 as I have to transfer files back and forth to another compuer running 98se and dont know what this would do if I changed it
Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about defrag
  1. Transferring files back and forth with an NTFS file system is no problem. NTFS is more resistant to fragmentation, however. In any case, fragmentation is normal on any OS but a little more so on WinME and WinXP due to System Restore.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  2. *Thanks! This gives me the info to make the switch
    Dr Price
  3. Hmmm.. strange. I heard NTFS was more susceptible to fragmentation than FAT 32. At any rate, I use Diskeeper 7.0 to defrag on Win XP. It works really well; however I'm having a problem with it telling me that chkdsk needs to be run before I can run a defrag again. I do the chkdsk, it corrects the errors, and I can defrag again. The next day, it begins all over again. Diskeeper tells me I should run it once per day to keep fragmentation to a low level... so it can get annoying when I leave my comp running so it can do a defrag, only to get up the next day and have it tell me it can't because of errors on the HD... any suggestions?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Defragment Windows XP