Reginthorn

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Hey I am looking at getting a GTX 680 soon and was wanting to know which sub-vendor to go with. I am switching from the AMD side of things so I have no experience with nVidia. Please give me some reasoning with your response.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
What country are you in? Warranty terms vary by country with most manufacturers, but here, EVGA give five or even ten year warranties if you register your details within 30 days of purchase. Three years if you don't. Doesn't get much better than that! My two-year warranty card just died after two years and four months of use. Really wishing I'd got something with more warranty now, because performancewise it was good for easily another couple of years.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Also, it's worth mentioning the GTX670. The performance difference between the two averages ~6%, i.e. so little difference you couldn't possibly tell without a framerate counter. GTX670 is a lot cheaper though. When the card launched, THG's review title was something like 'Time to forget about GTX680'.

Reginthorn

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Okay I am in the United States and aware of this performance fact. I saw this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KRX3GY/ref=gno_cart_title_1 and got really excited about the prospect of a 680. Is EVGA any good?

itsmezed

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009

Speaking from personal experience, EVGA's customer support has always been excellent whenever I have needed to contact them. The also offer a step-up program which is unique as far as I know, and quite nice if you decide you should have opted for a faster GPU (although you can only step-up to base model GPU versions).

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Yeah I've heard they're awesome in the States. Americans on here also speak highly of XFX warranties. At one point XFX were offering lifetime warranties in North America. Not sure if that's still the case though?

itsmezed

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
It looks like their 7800 and 7900 series offerings still have a lifetime warranty, but I could be wrong as I only did a quick check. EVGA sadly went away from lifetime warranties (now they're at a fairly standard 3-years with extended options available).

They're not doing the 5/10 year thing when you register your details?