GPU activity spikes/computer crashes

Over the last few weeks my computer has been experiencing a new problem where, while playing games, my GPU activity will spike to 100% when there's no reason it should be so high. My computer then crashes, only to immediately reboot. I have a Sapphire 7850 and it has been working perfectly since I built my computer this summer. I have disk defragged and ccleaned, but I feel like with these GPU activity spikes the problem is definitely there.

For reference the games I've experienced crashes in are: TERA, League of Legends, and Skyrim. It happens with most frequency in TERA (every single time I launch it) and least frequency in Skyrim (often doesn't happen at all). Here is a link to my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yAk5

The only thing I have changed recently is added a new HDD and I can't see why that would be an issue. I have dusted all my parts, rerouted cables I thought could be causing problems, updated drivers, everything I can think of. If you have any ideas on how to fix this problem, please let me know. I appreciate the help :)

I've never posted here before, so if I posted in the wrong forum or something, I'm sorry, just let me know.
13 answers Last reply
More about activity spikes computer crashes
  1. have you tried updating the drivers?
  2. Yes I'm updated to the latest AMD driver. Thanks for the reply
  3. when you are running a game are you doing anything else with the computer?

Have you tried rolling back to a previous driver?
  4. No I have nothing else open. I haven't tried that because this started while I had been using the same driver for awhile. I will try that now, though.
  5. Does the core frequency drop during these GPU usage spikes?
  6. I tried rolling back and that did not resolve the issue.

aicom I took this screen as a spike was happening: http://imgur.com/FIrhZVj
    I'm not sure which core frequency is, I assume it is GPU clock? If so, then no it doesn't drop, it spikes. The activity was actually at 99%, but after I minimized it began to go back down.
  7. Do you have any program monitor the temp? maybe your gpu is getting to hot?
  8. I use Catalyst Control Center to monitor. I've never seen the temp go higher than 50(C) under fairly heavy load.
  9. Head for Task Manager

Look or programs that are not running but are using a lot of RAM .
    In particular look for programs that use hardware acceleration
    Maybe image/video editing /encoding
    Maybe Flash

try ending that process manually and then start your game running and see if the result is the same
  10. None of my processes appear to be abnormally high. I appreciate your continued help
  11. Have you tried uninstalling CCC ?

and have you used windows diagnostic tools for Direct X ?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows-vista/Run-DirectX-Diagnostic-Tool
  12. Uninstalling CCC did not correct the problem.

I ran dxdiag and it says those 3 things are enabled so I followed the instructions and went to advanced display settings-->troubleshot, but the box to change settings was unclickable.
  13. *bump* issue is still not resolved. Any help still appreciated.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Computer Games Systems