GPU activity spikes/computer crashes

mpatt66

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Over the last few weeks my computer has been experiencing a new problem where, while playing games, my GPU activity will spike to 100% when there's no reason it should be so high. My computer then crashes, only to immediately reboot. I have a Sapphire 7850 and it has been working perfectly since I built my computer this summer. I have disk defragged and ccleaned, but I feel like with these GPU activity spikes the problem is definitely there.

For reference the games I've experienced crashes in are: TERA, League of Legends, and Skyrim. It happens with most frequency in TERA (every single time I launch it) and least frequency in Skyrim (often doesn't happen at all). Here is a link to my parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yAk5

The only thing I have changed recently is added a new HDD and I can't see why that would be an issue. I have dusted all my parts, rerouted cables I thought could be causing problems, updated drivers, everything I can think of. If you have any ideas on how to fix this problem, please let me know. I appreciate the help :)

I've never posted here before, so if I posted in the wrong forum or something, I'm sorry, just let me know.

mpatt66

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I tried rolling back and that did not resolve the issue.

aicom I took this screen as a spike was happening: http://imgur.com/FIrhZVj
I'm not sure which core frequency is, I assume it is GPU clock? If so, then no it doesn't drop, it spikes. The activity was actually at 99%, but after I minimized it began to go back down.

Head for Task Manager

Look or programs that are not running but are using a lot of RAM .
In particular look for programs that use hardware acceleration
Maybe image/video editing /encoding
Maybe Flash

try ending that process manually and then start your game running and see if the result is the same

mpatt66

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Uninstalling CCC did not correct the problem.

I ran dxdiag and it says those 3 things are enabled so I followed the instructions and went to advanced display settings-->troubleshot, but the box to change settings was unclickable.