Sign in with
Your question

OK... it's time to talk gaming controllers...

Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2013 11:47:39 PM

Building my first gaming box this week.

I like to play shooters and flight attack shooters.

Who knows, maybe even some driving shooters.

What are and what should my considerations be?

Thank you,
John
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 12:05:13 AM

Compatibility, for instance an Xbox controller is supported in a lot more games than the PS3 Dualshock controller.
Beyond that, good build quality and whether you like the feel of it or not. Controllers are very subjective to personal taste.
m
l
January 21, 2013 12:07:49 AM

I would say the 360 controllers for ease of use. It is mostly just plug and play for most games. The PS3 controllers require setup and can decide to not work for certain games.

For a 360 controller, get this because it includes the wireless receiver for PC use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QRKWKQ/ref=oh_deta...

m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 12:12:30 AM

Awesome guys, thanks.

What about joysticks and driving wheels?

Thanks...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 4:58:31 AM

I think 9 out of 10 prefer the 360/ps3 controllers over a joystick for fps games. If you are into alot of racing, go for the driving wheel, and alot of flying games, the joystick.

Other then that, a 360 controller will fit most of your needs!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 5:05:54 AM

Logitech G27 for racing
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 5:21:16 AM

Never really looked into wheels and joysticks, so cant give a recommendation there.
Hell, havent even put thought into any controller at all.

Though I did once get my PS3 controller to work in games, but required the use of middle man software to make the games think it was a 360 controller. I should see if I can do that again, was pretty fun.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 6:21:17 AM

manofchalk said:
Though I did once get my PS3 controller to work in games, but required the use of middle man software to make the games think it was a 360 controller. I should see if I can do that again, was pretty fun.

Pinnacle Game Profiler?

@pede69

I have a 360 controller and I love it. Although I mostly uses it in action adventure, racing, sports and certain rpg only.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 6:27:24 AM

Forgot what it was called, but it wasn't that.
Think it had Six-axis in the name, not entirely sure.
m
l
January 21, 2013 11:39:04 AM

Thanks guys... good input.

I already have several 360 controllers and have already ordered the USB PC receiver/transmitter for it.

I am wondering however... there are always a bunch of joysticks and wheels in the the thrift stores. Very cheap as well. Only thing is though, is most of them are the old 15 pin gaming connector.

I wonder if there would be much difference in the performance between those and the newer USB ones?

Thanks,
John
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 1:28:46 PM

What do you mean by performance? How do you measure the performance of a controller? :p 
m
l
January 21, 2013 1:37:31 PM

Simple...

By weather one is slower than the other. More sluggest than the other. Does not respond on the screen as fast as the other.

Thank you for that question.

John
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 21, 2013 2:05:03 PM

I don't think so. You're going to be the weakest link regardless ;) 
m
l
January 21, 2013 2:36:21 PM

That's good to know...

Anyone else want to chime in?

Would the old style 15 pin gaming controller (like a Logitech Joystick) have the same responsiveness as a newer one with USB?

Bear in mind, that the 15 pin joystick controller will have it's own control board. I'll have to put one in my computer. My Asrock Extreem4 does not have a built in one.

Thanks,
John
m
l
!