Sign in with
Your question

How to get 2 displays working on Ivy Bridge/HD 7970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2012 5:46:37 AM

I had a less expensive flat panel connected to motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB's 15-pin Dsub driven presumably by i7-3770's HD4000 graphics GPU while I struggled to get a Gigabyte HD 7970 3GB card running properly with Dell U2410 display attached in DVI port of the HD7970. I thought I was going to have 2 displays working this way and would also be able to exploit the HD4000's "virtual GPU" to help the HD 7970 as Gigabyte describes that complementary graphics capability. But as soon as the HD 7970 finally popped on after a reboot cycle, it is now my main display and the one connected to mobo is no longer displaying & is not "detected". Further, I can find nothing in system device table referencing the HD4000.
I have 2 Q's:
(1) how do I need to configure BIOS or drivers so that the i7-3770's HD4000 is active along with the HD 7970 GPU?
(2) how do I need to cable the cheaper flat panel that I'd wanted to use as main console while the HD7970/Dell U2410 is my photo-editing display? (Windows 7 desktop is shared across both displays). The cheaper flat panel doesn't have DVI but does have HDMI.
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 5:58:27 AM

why don't you just plug both into the 7970?
m
l
December 6, 2012 6:21:00 AM

All you have to do is plug in both monitors and it should detect both, then you can either go into catalyst control centre or you screen resolution option when right clicking and make sure both monitors are at the resolution you want and to check which way you computer thinks your monitors are (left or right) then if they are wrong you can easily swap them on screen, no moving of the monitors.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 9:18:29 AM

2865790,3,1497350 said:
All you have to do is plug in both monitors and it should detect both, then you can either go into catalyst control centre or you screen resolution option when right clicking and make sure both monitors are at the resolution you want and to check which way you computer thinks your monitors are (left or right) then if they are wrong you can easily swap them on screen, no moving of the

Well, as I said, they are both plugged in--one to motherboard VGA, the other to GPU DVI, and Windows detects only the GPU-attached one now that the GPU is working. Is there specific cabling that needs to be adhered to in this case? Should I expect that the desktop would be delivered by Win7 to both of those ports?

I already know how to set them as #1 & #2, set resolution, etc--been doing that for years but with laptop+external monitor. This is first build of desktop I've ever done, so not sure what to expect given new capabilities of Ivy Bridge GPU coupled with the discrete graphics card.

Thanks for quick responses.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 6, 2012 5:25:25 PM

just stop using the integrated gpu. Its useless.
m
l
!