A puzzler for you- a graphics card running TOO cool

barbieqfreak

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
As the title so suggests, my graphics card is running a little too cool for my liking. Why? Because I believe that it is somehow underclocking itself without my permission. I have a Gigabyte GTX 560ti448 (drivers up to date, then rolled back, then updated again), and I am using EVGA Precision as my overclocking tool of choice. (although the problem presents on a stock clock as well.

Now, the temps.
Idle temp (with minimal graphics, flash in Firefox at most) my GPU sits at about ~30 C

Load temp (GPU running a GPU intensive game, reporting 100% and producing FPS near benchmarks) ~58 C

The problem temp- GPU reporting 100% load, but not pulling nearly the FPS that I would normally expect- ~40 C

any ideas?

I'm in no rush here, please, don't leave anything out for fear of insulting me ^ -^

I have done some testing of my own~
-It is not application specific, I suffer drops across all graphics intensive programs
-It is not setting specific (I lower graphics settings in games, and the FPS scales up reasonably accordingly)
-It is not always a problem. Most confusing of all, it appears to present randomly... then decides to be merciful and live up to the good money I pay for it

any help is appreciated in advance :)