Would this result be from failed videocard?

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I just wanted to see if anyone had seen anything like this before? I've seen blue screen of death, but this is a new one. My videocard has seemed to be on the fritz for a while here with just LoL every now and then but yesterday I was doing a quick google search for an album title and I clicked the second link google gave me and it redirected me to some weird site I immediately closed and 2 secs later AVG found a threat, I moved to vault and then a second later it found one more and before I could click move to vault it said system would need to restart and do I want to do now or cancel and do later and before I could even click cancel the pc just went and started to close down windows session and reboot on its own. I let it go through hoping it be fine when a screen similar to this occurred.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/img2012120500892.jpg/

It only stayed up for about 5 seconds the first time and then restarted again. So I booted into safe mode and tried to go to last system restore point but that had no luck still same issue, which is making me lean towards videocard being the issue. Also, the virus that AVG had found before this all went down was oyo.exe if that helps at all?

Thanks for any response(s)/advice.

Zack

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
It could be. First I would uninstall graphics drivers using driver sweeper in safe mode, and reinstall them.

If that doesn't help, I would try a fresh install of windows and drivers.

If you still get video issues, I would suspect the gpu.

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Thanks sooth1. I'll try that later today when I get the chance and hopefully that will remedy my problem.

Honestly dude... I hate to tell you but the only option you have is to reformat the computer. I would actually format the hard drive once then check the drive to see if the virus is still lurking. then I'd reformat again. After youve done this, the virus should be gone. Oyo is a virus that basically duplicates its code into any other .exe's or .scr extensions. So if your computer is to the point of soon as windows launches you get that screen then your computer is pretty much f'd over. And its latched into the registry so hard not even trying ANYTHING in safe mode will get...

If you can't re-format well. i guess we could try and find some anti virus or anti malware programs you could use in safe mode.. But that still might not fully get rid of the virus

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...I'm going to try a few things later tonight and see if I can avoid that first.

download hirem boot cd from a know clean computer on hirem boot cd it shows how to make a bootable usb stick. hirem has a minxp boot os so you be able to tell if it your video card or a hardware issue or a virus. also if the screen rools in the bios screen or the system reboots in the bios screen then there a hardware issue. on hirem cd is also a dos based anti virus programs. also a lot of anti virus companies on there web page post rescue boot images where you can boot and scan from a cd or usb stick.
https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Only once I click, which user I want to login on with for windows. I click to login, type in password and bam the screen of pixelated annoyance. Far as the videocard fried scenario goes I'll try that out shortly as I have an extra new videocard lying around.

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Thank you for reminded me about hirem boot cd, I had it on my other pc just sitting there if I ever needed it for another pc. Go figure that's the pc that crashes lol...the only pc that's made by a manufacturer crashes oh...3 months after the "Warranty" ends...Dell...that's the last PC I ever buy.

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Yeah I have been over the past 2 now, this one was the last Dell PC I had bought in 2010 I believe maybe even '09? I'm sticking strictly to http://pcpartpicker.com/ from now on trust me.

zacking18

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Okay so I finally got around to switching out the videocard and tried a few other things first and had same result. Now I just replaced the card and started up and all went well and it got to Win login screen I signed in as usual and didn't get that weird pixelated crap but rather a black screen and I hit ctrl+alt+del and I started task manager and saw that everything was just starting super slow. I waited for a minute or so and most everything was looking good and like it was back to normal and then bam out of no where blue screen of death just happened while writing this. Going to try to start it one more time and see how goes then probably going to just wind up reformatting. Any others thoughts based upon that new info?

Thanks to everyone for all the input and kind words.

Here are a few more pix I was able to get.