Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Build - What to Upgrade?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 21, 2013 5:03:43 AM

Just built myself a new machine, a few parts are still to come but it's running happily so far.

Here's the specs:

Case: Gigabyte SUMO
CPU: AMD 8350 "Piledriver" (8-cores @ 4Ghz)
CPU Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 412 Slim
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video: nVidia GT640 1024MB
HDD: Seagate 1TB ST1000DM003
PSU: Seasonic M12-II 650W

Monitor: LG Flatron E2342
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Mouse: Logitech M525
Speakers: Logitech Z313
Headset: Logitech G930

The video-card is temporary, will be upgrading to a 7870 in a couple of weeks.

--

My question is, what do I upgrade first (after the video)?

I was looking at new cooling, would really prefer closed water cooling, air-cooling with this CPU makes me uncomfortable (probably unreasonable, unsure what's 'safe', it idles around 30C). I was also thinking of upgrading the PSU to 750w but not sure if it's required. The RAM is probably a priority too.

Everything is currently stock, might look at overclocking after it's finished.

Any suggestions are welcome but as I am in New Zealand, not everything is doable since technology here costs around 40% more than in America.

More about : build upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:20:13 AM

750w is usually for crossfirex

since all your stuffs are already decent (except gpu)
i will personally get 7950 instead :) 

i believe you wouldnt want cloosed loop wc, hit and miss, too many ppl dissappointed having a failed one

get monstrous noctua nhd14 :D 
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 5:35:06 AM

AMD Radeon said:
750w is usually for crossfirex

since all your stuffs are already decent (except gpu)
i will personally get 7950 instead :) 

i believe you wouldnt want cloosed loop wc, hit and miss, too many ppl dissappointed having a failed one

get monstrous noctua nhd14 :D 



The Nocta NH-D14 looks to be basically the same as the Hyper412 that I'm using at the moment, just $100 more expensive.

Is the preformance gain between the 7870 and the 7950 worth the extra $70?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:36:50 AM

i assume you pick 8350 for OCing, then it is normal to OC GPU too

7870 vs 7950 maybe close in stock

but 7950 has OC potential like a boss
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:44:23 AM

The 650W is enough even for 7870 Crossfire - it's a Seasonic after all ;) 

The RAM doesn't need upgrading either.

If you're interested in tinkering why not go for custom water cooling.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:46:46 AM

^ this [:russk1]

great air cooler or true water cooling
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 5:47:13 AM

Also, what about case fans? It has the two that it came with but has room for another three. Should I occupy that space?
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 5:52:05 AM

FinneousPJ said:
The 650W is enough even for 7870 Crossfire - it's a Seasonic after all ;) 

The RAM doesn't need upgrading either.

If you're interested in tinkering why not go for custom water cooling.


Having to mess around with changing water and that kind of thing really isn't appealing which is why I said closed system in the OP.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:52:48 AM

you can always mix-match case fan to your liking. i believe everybody knows basic airflow inside case

air input == output
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:55:18 AM

fyi any great cpu cooler will fail its function if your room temp cant be helped

make sure it is normal

or put your pc right under AC blow
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:56:38 AM

From what I've read safe temp for the fx chips are 61 degrees celcius. You should be fine, I'm running my fx 8120 at 4ghz and it seems to run about the same temps as yours.

Video for first upgrade, then maybe an ssd.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 6:12:34 AM

Mushious said:
Having to mess around with changing water and that kind of thing really isn't appealing which is why I said closed system in the OP.

Then just get an air cooler.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 6:14:46 AM

AMD Radeon said:
fyi any great cpu cooler will fail its function if your room temp cant be helped

make sure it is normal

or put your pc right under AC blow


Unfortunately I don't have an AC, temperatures in my house can reach ~30C during the summer. Anything I can do to eliminate heat within the machine is pretty much vital
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 6:15:47 AM

FinneousPJ said:
Then just get an air cooler.


Already have one...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 12:11:53 PM

I will say in that case the advantage I have vs the op is that my system is in my basement so it probably helps a little
m
0
l
January 22, 2013 12:58:54 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
I will say in that case the advantage I have vs the op is that my system is in my basement so it probably helps a little


Haha yeah, that would be extremely handy!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2013 6:07:15 AM

Yeah, but I'm also running a cooler master v6 gt on it in push pull config, fans full bore 24/7 lol.
m
0
l
!