Graphics card for Far Cry 3 & Crysis 3

Respawn Reaper

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys I was just curious as to what the all around best graphics card would be to get to run not only Far Cry 3 but Crysis 3 as well without breaking the bank...to much at least. I'm willing to go right up to about $500. Let me know what you guys think!!

Solution
Personally I wouldn't, but it's certainly not a bad choice. Just two things:

1. GTX660 is a fair bit cheaper, yet within 10% of the performance. When SLIing, that cost difference obviously doubles. With that in mind, an immediate SLI setup would be better with dual GTX660s - still hugely superior to a single GTX680. But:

2. One of the really nice things about SLI is that for future upgradability, you're adding to what you already bought. You could buy one GTX670 now and then add a second in a year when the price has dropped a load. Your first card is still delivering a return on the investment, you're just adding to it. And a single GTX670 will certainly keep you happy for that first year until you add a second :)

Respawn Reaper

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

nope i like the single screen however i always liked the eyefinity look....i just dont have the space

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

For Far Cry 3 they are both the same. For Crysis 3 I'd have to say Nvidia as Crysis is a "TWIMTBP" Nvidia programmed supported game. With that said, AMD hasn't been too shabby in Cryengine games lately.

But here, a MSI lightning 680 vs a 7970 GHz in Crysis 2. The 680 is on top.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ews/55902-msi-gtx-680-lightning-review-8.html

FunSurfer

Distinguished

That review is not with ATI driver version 12.11, so it is not fair for ATI

shinte122

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
IDK about that last comment but i have tried all three games Crysis 2 and i had the Alpha for Crysis 3 two weeks ago and i just bought Far cry 3 i am using 12.11 drivers and in crysis 2 i am always at 60 frames no matter what i do its locked their witch is perfect and in Far cry 3 i am always 50-60 frames with everything maxed i am 7 hours into Far cry 3 i have yet to see it drop under 50 frames and in Crysis 3 i was doing 50-60 frames i never really saw under 50 frames maybe once or twice when their was a lot happening but again the drivers arent ready for Crysis 3 yet so im sure later they will improve. Anyways with my 7970 everything was about 60 frames witch made all three games feel silky smooth and by the way im using a Sapphire HD 7970 at 1100 MHZ core and 1150 MHZ memory witch isnt a crazy overclock at all so you can get a 7970 and youll play just perfect all new games at max.

Respawn Reaper

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

cool! ive always been more of an ATI guy anyways...its just now that ive been thinking about going over to nvidea

Eli5core

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
You don't need to spend anywhere near that. Pick up a GTX 660 TI if you are ona single display, I play at 1900x1080 ultra settings on any game atm and I never drop below 35 fps.

mohit9206

Distinguished
hey first of all you havent mentioned your monitor resolution !!! i will suppose its 1080p. in that case you really i mean really do not need anything more than a 660 ti or a 7950 to max out far cry 3 and crysis 3. so i wouldnt advice you to waste $200 on something you would not benefit from .
and 2 550 ti in sli is roughly equal to a single gtx 560 ti i guess

GTX 680 and Radeon 7970 are both great deals. Nvidia just came up with new drivers days ago which improved performance in Far Cry 3 on the GTX up to 38%! That is a lot, so if playing Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3, then I'd go for Nvidia.

Still Radeon 7970 isn't a bad choice. But you also should note, that yesterday Nvidia brought up a new gaming software, that will automatically fit the Graphics in game, so you can get the best performance in every game, it's just a beta though, but it will be a great Tool in the future.

Another Thing is all the Technologies you get with Nvidia FXAA, TXAA, physx, boost and my favorite adaptive vsync.

Now that is nonsense. Please stop spreading this misinformation. He will for sure benefit from GTX 680 or HD 7970 in the games he mentioned, as those cards can barely max them, and anything weaker will not. Crysis 3 even recommends an SLI setup.

mohit9206

Distinguished

sure i agree 7970 or 680 will give better performance than 660 ti and 7950 . but is the extra money worth it ? will the extra few fps be noticaeble ? will going from 50 to 60 fps make that much of a difference anyways ?